RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 7:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Angry Help with Motorola Systems 9000 installed in 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan

Hey forums,

I really need some help. I am 100% self taught on everything I know. I have a Motorola Systems 9000 unit installed. I previously had this in a 2004 Pontiac Montana and a 2005 Buick Rendezvous without any problems. However, about a week ago, I started have problems in the 2005 Buick Rendezvous. I assumed it had to do with my wiring at the battery.

I now installed it into a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. I have it wired as follows:

8 Gauge wire from the Motorola harness directly to to the battery positive terminal. The ground from the harness is grounded to the frame near the main controller.

From the controller head, I have the main module running to the controller. Off of the main module cable, there is 2 electric wires. these are bound together and patched into a fuse block. This fuse block then runs to a relay switch under my hood.

The Problem:

The relay is functional and has been tested (as well as replaced), If I bypass the relay, the system functions without any problems. The only issue with this is that it's powered on all the time and doesn't shut off with the keys.

I have replaced the relay, the cable harness, the module cable, the controller, the controller head, The fuses (for good measure, but never blown), the wiring, the connectors and everything else.

For some reason, when the relay is added into the system, the radio no longer powers on with the car. However, I can confirm the relay is closing when the car starts (I have tested and hear the click).

Can someone with a little more knowledge explain maybe what its going on here? I am lost at this point.
I just can't seem to explain why the relay is functioning normally and the radio functions normally without the relay, but when the relay is in place the controller head doesn't power on.

This is my radio here: Motorola Astro Spectra Radio Trunk Mount T04KLH9PW3AN-UCM T99DX+088W_ASTRO W3 | eBay

This is the control head: Motorola Astro Spectra Control Head Face Plate Systems 9000 | eBay
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2017, 7:12 PM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Thread moved, not an amateur radio question.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 04-16-2017, 8:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You using a 30 amp bosch relay.. Are you sure that it is wired right? because if not it can still click but not be putting out any power
Old 04-16-2017, 8:18 PM

You DID check the slide switch on the control head?

You do not need a relay.

Main power heavy red to battery. Fuse at the battery,

The green lead to battery Use a 4 amp fuse. The Orange lead to IGN switched and fused at ONE Amp.

Otherwise radio forgets what channel it was on, and the scan list.
Old 04-16-2017, 9:58 PM

Relay wiring no. Pin out...

30 battery
86 load
85 ground
86 trigger (ignition)
Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

actually its 30 to battery 85 to ground, 86 to ignition source, 87 to load 87a ( center) is not used
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

Your relay may be different, but I recall that some relays provide output on one pin when activated, and no output on a different pin when activated. Get yourself a voltmeter and confirm which pin actually has +12v when activated.

John
Old 04-18-2017, 4:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief21 View Post
Your relay may be different, but I recall that some relays provide output on one pin when activated, and no output on a different pin when activated. Get yourself a voltmeter and confirm which pin actually has +12v when activated.

John
that is a standard 5 pin relay as I posted when 30 has 12v so does 87a the center when the relay is triggered the 12v is transferred to the 87 pin and the 87a is dead
Old 04-18-2017, 4:41 PM

Do you have Green to + and Orange to ignition sense?

Is the control head switch on?

Oh, and please don't say you have a sys9000 radio.. You don't... No one ever did....
Old 04-18-2017, 4:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
that is a standard 5 pin relay as I posted when 30 has 12v so does 87a the center when the relay is triggered the 12v is transferred to the 87 pin and the 87a is dead
The question I thing that is being asked by a few is, why is the relay being used? To turn the radio on and off with the keys? If so, that's what the ignition (orange) sense wire is for.
Old 04-18-2017, 5:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
The question I thing that is being asked by a few is, why is the relay being used? To turn the radio on and off with the keys? If so, that's what the ignition (orange) sense wire is for.
Its redundant. But..I personally have done it when using a chargeguard when using that to time out different radios after a set time as the chargeguard can only handle 30 amps to lessen the draw on the unit
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Summer - western NC mountains; Winter - central FL gulf coast

So it sounds like you could totally lose the relay (at least for the Motorola) and simply connect the orange ignition sense wire to the existing relay activation (ignition) wire... no??

John
Old 05-03-2017, 5:48 PM

I think your talking about the W9 control head that has the full keypad on the right side. The W series control heads have jumper settings inside the control head circuit board to allow for different turn on options.

Take a look here: Spectra Mobile Radio Control Head Ignition Jumpers

You will find information about the control head jumper information on the above link. Bear in mind that this info is for the Spectra heads. But the Astro Spectra heads are basically the same thing with different part numbers and different firmware.

Tags
car, installation, motorola, motorola 9000