RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 7:42 PM

The final finished install:

Old 04-26-2017, 7:49 PM

The DeWalt drill bit worked good after all. It ended up being real smooth with no hopping or wobbling/walking. I am not an experienced installer or whatever, but had no problems at all. So I think the final conclusion here is the hole saw is OK to use, but I wouldn't use it for a roof job. It does tend to punch through in a way that would make it risky in my opinion.

Overall, both antennas are working good and everything turned out great so far. The longer antenna on the left is a Larsen 2-meter/440 dual-bander for the hammy bands, and the short black antenna on the right is a Larsen 150/450/800 scanner antenna. My biggest regret was not doing the two antenna install 3 years ago in the first place. Now I have an ugly hole plug in the middle and may want to try and paint it silver to blend in better.
Old 04-26-2017, 7:52 PM

Nice neat job.
Old 04-26-2017, 8:16 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboys-Scanna View Post
The DeWalt drill bit worked good after all. It ended up being real smooth with no hopping or wobbling/walking. I am not an experienced installer or whatever, but had no problems at all. So I think the final conclusion here is the hole saw is OK to use, but I wouldn't use it for a roof job. It does tend to punch through in a way that would make it risky in my opinion.

Overall, both antennas are working good and everything turned out great so far. The longer antenna on the left is a Larsen 2-meter/440 dual-bander for the hammy bands, and the short black antenna on the right is a Larsen 150/450/800 scanner antenna. My biggest regret was not doing the two antenna install 3 years ago in the first place. Now I have an ugly hole plug in the middle and may want to try and paint it silver to blend in better.
Looks very good!

As far as the hole in the center goes, I'd just get a small GPS puck and put it there. You can connect it to something or just leave it unconnected. Either way, a small puck would look better than the plug. That looks like the plastic plugs. They tend to leak if not sealed with silicone. We use the rubber plugs at work. Model number K35/25. They are a very tight fit and seal up nicely without silicone.
Old 04-26-2017, 9:56 PM

I agree, I'd have left the NMO mount there and just put on the NMO rain cap.

Those plugs work if sealed. On top of a full size truck, they'll disappear if painted the same color of the truck. Not sure how well that'll work on the trunk.
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I agree with the last two posters, the install will look better with something on the center mount. I have a chrome rain cap I found at a hamfest once, it looks just like a regular NMO 1/4 collar but with no hole for the rubber whip support. That would look much better than a rubber plug.

http://www.carmachicago.com
Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:22 PM

https://www.amazon.com/nmo-rain-cap/...o%20rain%20cap
Old 04-27-2017, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I agree, I'd have left the NMO mount there and just put on the NMO rain cap.

Those plugs work if sealed. On top of a full size truck, they'll disappear if painted the same color of the truck. Not sure how well that'll work on the trunk.
Disappear? How's that??
Old 04-27-2017, 6:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Disappear? How's that??
Because of the height of the top of a full size truck cab, a hole plug painted the same color as the truck is not as noticeable as one on the trunk of a car. How often are you looking down on the cab of a truck?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2017, 8:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.

As 'clbsquared' posted and being painted same color, it blends in. Just won't stand out making it more unnoticeable.
And 'Homeboys-Scanna', you did a great job of drilling and mounting those NMOs. Gonna go down a few counties and get you to help me mount a few now! lol
Old 04-28-2017, 7:34 PM

The plastic hole plug fit very snug and tightly in place. So it's still possible it can leak? Honestly, it doesn't look/feel like it would leak at all.
Old 04-28-2017, 7:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have seen several used and never had a leak.
Old 04-28-2017, 9:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default so...

fill it with another antenna !
Old 04-29-2017, 12:06 PM

In the long run? Any plastic plug sitting against a sharp sheet metal hole, will vibrate and work and get cut up a bit by the sheet metal. The sheet metal may reach 140F in the heat of the summer, it will expand and contract and cut more into the plug. It will withdraw some in the dead of winter. At 70mph on the highway with another 15mph in winds? That's an 85mph breeze that may be trying to force rain and dampess into the crack that keeps trying to work. And if that water freezes, that's how rain in dsmall cracks breaks down granite and mountains.

So the plugs work and work very well, but they will eventually fail.

I've known people in the used car business, managers, who said very simply if there's a plug in the car, they don't want to touch it. Because the next buyer may want a big discount, or may say nothing and simply buy another car with no holes in the top. Something that's easy enough in a big city.

In your local market, folks may not care. Maybe they're less picky. But in *some* markets? Holes in the metal mean "no sale". And the only way to permanently get rid of the hole, is to epoxy or weld a sheet metal plate under it, then fill it with body repair materials, and repaint the entire panel. Not so hard on a trunk (which can be replaced) but incredibly expensive on some roofs.

NMO mounts? Great idea, if you work vehicle requires the best antenna performance, or if you plan to keep your personal vehicle for ten years, when the resale value won't be such an issue. Short term? Problematic. Could be a great thing to have, if you sell the vehicle to another radio operator!
Old 04-29-2017, 12:20 PM

I've thought about exactly what you're saying, and I do plan on keeping the car for a long time, prolly another 10 years, and it's already 4+ years old. Unfortunately, my job has a parking garage, otherwise I would have thought about a roof install. In fact, a pickup truck with a roof install would have been awesome. That would be like the dream setup.
Old 05-01-2017, 2:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The plastic hole plug fit very snug and tightly in place. So it's still possible it can leak? Honestly, it doesn't look/feel like it would leak at all.
I agree with buddrousa, it shouldn't leak. If you're still concerned, however, you can run a bead of silicone around the underside of the plug to help seal it.