RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 8:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Crosstalk Possible?

Im going to be installing several radios in my 2005 CVPI soon, a mix of UHF and VHF, and im mounting the antennas on the roof. My question is, should i consider running a piece of braided shield on the outside of each run of coax to further reduce any interference (inserting the coax inside the shield) there will be 3-4 radios with coax running in the same pillar along each other.
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2017, 8:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No. if you're using decent quality coax and the antennas are installed properly such that the shield isn't radiating RF, the coupling between antennas will be greater than leakage through the coax shield.
Old 05-09-2017, 8:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Its going to be whatever coax is on the NMO mounts I bought (Genuine Motorola Brand) but it is RG-58 (should I get better coax for them?)
Old 05-09-2017, 8:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I wouldn't worry about it. It's what's in my vehicle and I have minimal crosstalk.
Old 05-09-2017, 8:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok, cool. Just figured id check before installing

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattkuhar View Post
Im going to be installing several radios in my 2005 CVPI soon, a mix of UHF and VHF, and im mounting the antennas on the roof. My question is, should i consider running a piece of braided shield on the outside of each run of coax to further reduce any interference (inserting the coax inside the shield) there will be 3-4 radios with coax running in the same pillar along each other.
There already is a piece of grounded braided shield over the coaxial cable, no need to add more.

Where you can run into issues is if you are using really cheap coax that has lots of big holes in the shield. Shouldn't be an issue with the genuine Motorola antenna mount, or any of the name brand US market stuff.
Another good reason to avoid the no-name Chinese market coax.
Old 05-09-2017, 9:53 PM

I've had to run coupling tests on close coax runs and for high quality braided coax you will usually see 40dB or higher coupling up to 1GHz depending on how many feet the two coax cables are run next to each other. In a mobile environment this is probably 30dB better than the coupling you will get between antennas.
prcguy