RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 4:48 PM

Unhappy 2017 Tahoe PPV - Lowest Profile UHF Antenna

Hello all,

Well, Chevy did me a disservice with the 2015+ Tahoe PPV. On the 2007-2014, the raised "rails" in the sheet metal on the roof were staggered so that the center line was flat. On the 2017, one of the "rails" runs right down the center line of the roof. I was planning on mounting a covert little UHF puck antenna back there, but since I can't stand things that aren't centered, and the mounting surface is elevated in the middle, that won't work.

I'm trying to find some other ideas for an antenna that is as low profile as possible, to mount 3/4 of the way back on the roof. It can't really be any wider than a Laird Phantom. In fact, I would just use a phantom, but I wanted to keep it shorter than 3" and their UHF options aren't quite as short as the 800 mhz versions.

I am investigating factory On-Star replacement antennas with UHF, but so far I can't find one that keeps the factory GPS/On-Star connection while adding UHF.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2017, 7:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Laird Phantom Elite centered on the rib. its barely 3 1/2 tall other than that .. Not much, also all 15+ tahoes have the center ribs not only the PPV. https://www.talleycom.com/images/pdf/ANXETRA4703.pdf

Last edited by FFPM571; 05-17-2017 at 8:57 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 7:48 PM

The Larsen LP450NMO are 1.5 inches high, but 4.5 inches in diameter, so fitting it in between ribs would need to be checked.

These really low profile antennas come at a cost. When you try and stuff a vertical antenna that needs to be around 6 inches tall into a 1.5 inch tall patch, it doesn't work as well.

As for the concerns about looks, have you considered mounting two 1/4 wave antennas on each side, and just using one? A simple 6 inch tall 1/4 wave antenna will work better than a 1.5" tall antenna.
Old 05-19-2017, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
Laird Phantom Elite centered on the rib. its barely 3 1/2 tall other than that .. Not much, also all 15+ tahoes have the center ribs not only the PPV. https://www.talleycom.com/images/pdf/ANXETRA4703.pdf
I like the Laird Phantom Elite - what if I was to mount it up front on a L-bracket, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/OPNqfj2.jpg

Would that give it enough of a ground plane, assuming the bracket is screwed into the quarter panel?

I know the roof is obviously the most ideal spot, but with that rail down the middle, so another thing I'm considering is a "puck" antenna, but painted silver to match the car and mounted at about the b-pillar, where the ridge in the roof stops. That might look a bit goofy though, with an antenna so far forward on an otherwise slick roof.