• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2008 GMC Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I own two Tram antennas with 5 inch magnetic mounts, CB & Scanner. I am attempting to install a Cobra 29 Classic somewhere under the dash.

I forgot to mention this is a Canyon Crew Cab with moon roof.

I would appreciate any recommendations regarding CB placement.

Also, where can I run the coax cables to avoid shutting the door on them? I have looked for grommets to no avail. The only location I can place my magnetic mounts is toward the back. Due to the grooves on the roof, it is rather difficult to set the magnet flat. At present, they have not left the roof, yet.

I read something about "cab vents" but I don't know whether I can find them due to bed liner.

Help.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had a 2005 Canyon extended cab and have a 2007 Colorado extended cab at work. My dad had a 2005 crew cab for many years, too.

I've done permanent NMO mounts on all of them.
I understand the desire to use magnetic mounts, but they are not going to do you any favors.
The rear cab vents can be used, but it creates a couple of issues:
1. The cab vents won't be able to close all the way with cable running through it. This may be an issue with wind noise, moisture, bugs, etc.
2. You'll have to cut the connectors off to fish the cable through.
May not be a concern for you, might be a good solution.

On the other hand, the NMO mounts are pretty easy to install on these trucks. The rear edge of the cab roof is a good location. While not a great ground plane under the CB antenna, you'd be limited by the mag mount/sun roof combination only. Removing the rear high mount brake light gives you good access for routing the cables. Easy enough to bring them down the back inside of the cab and to the radios. Looks clean, no issues with magnets damaging the paint or routing loose coax cable.

AS for where to mount the CB… Kind of limited on these. Under the dash is about it. I had two radios mounted under there on mine, a VHF and UHF mobile.

For 12 volt power, it's pretty easy to run a power lead direct from the battery. There's a big grommet on the drivers side firewall. Making a small hole on the outer edge of that grommet will give you an easy path. Route the + lead direct to the battery + post, fuse close to the battery. As for the - lead, I discovered that if you tie the negative directly to the battery negative post you can often pick up alternator whine. Moving the negative lead to the vehicle body ground just behind the battery eliminates the interference. Discovered this on all 3 of the Canyon/Colorado's I've installed in.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I had a 2005 Canyon extended cab and have a 2007 Colorado extended cab at work. My dad had a 2005 crew cab for many years, too.

I've done permanent NMO mounts on all of them.
I understand the desire to use magnetic mounts, but they are not going to do you any favors.
The rear cab vents can be used, but it creates a couple of issues:
1. The cab vents won't be able to close all the way with cable running through it. This may be an issue with wind noise, moisture, bugs, etc.
2. You'll have to cut the connectors off to fish the cable through.
May not be a concern for you, might be a good solution.

On the other hand, the NMO mounts are pretty easy to install on these trucks. The rear edge of the cab roof is a good location. While not a great ground plane under the CB antenna, you'd be limited by the mag mount/sun roof combination only. Removing the rear high mount brake light gives you good access for routing the cables. Easy enough to bring them down the back inside of the cab and to the radios. Looks clean, no issues with magnets damaging the paint or routing loose coax cable.

AS for where to mount the CB… Kind of limited on these. Under the dash is about it. I had two radios mounted under there on mine, a VHF and UHF mobile.

For 12 volt power, it's pretty easy to run a power lead direct from the battery. There's a big grommet on the drivers side firewall. Making a small hole on the outer edge of that grommet will give you an easy path. Route the + lead direct to the battery + post, fuse close to the battery. As for the - lead, I discovered that if you tie the negative directly to the battery negative post you can often pick up alternator whine. Moving the negative lead to the vehicle body ground just behind the battery eliminates the interference. Discovered this on all 3 of the Canyon/Colorado's I've installed in.

Likely going with hump mount, keeping magnetic antennas, maybe later on permanent mount. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.