RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Default 800MHz Glass Mount Antennas

I am looking for some guidance into which of these three antennas would be the best for my situation.
First off here are the three antennas I was looking at :
Larsen KGI825
Larsen KGU825UD
Mobile Mark MM3-900
Now I do understand that glass-mount antennas come with some compromise in performance but I would be using any one of these antennas for receive only, no transmit. Iím also using a Motorola radio so it does receive better than your normal scanner in most cases.
Iím also conflicted on where to place the antenna on my truck. Iíve seen these mounted on the front windshield but Iím not sure if thatís a good idea or not.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Thank you for your time
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2017, 10:47 PM

Larsen KGU825UD

Getting the whip outside the vehicle will work better.
The MobileMark will probably work fine, too, although I'm partial to Larsen antennas.

As for where to mount it, you need to make sure it's on clear/untinted glass, and away from any defrost wires.
Depending on how your truck is set up, this will dictate where it goes.
The trouble with tinting is that some of it is a metal film in the glass. It will mess up the capacitive coupling between the antenna base and the outside whip.

Done right, it should work just fine.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

+1 with mmckenna on the antenna advice.

Have used standard standard cellular glass-mounts for years for 800 scanning with great results in a number of listening environments.

Either the Larsen or MobileMark will do the trick for you, although I am partial to Larsen.

Relm MX4000, RS Pro-18, Pro-136, Pro-668, Pro-2028, Pro2066, Pro2096, Pro2052, Pro2055, BC HP-1, HP-2, 345CRS and a Lafayette HA-52A just for old time's sake.
Old 10-30-2017, 2:04 PM

I'm running a 700 mhz Larsen glass mount antenna for my (authorized) APX 6500. I have the factory tint on the back but that doesn't impede TX or RX, and can key up and receive audio just fine at about 25 miles from the tower. It's mounted on the back glass straddling the space between two defroster lines. These really are good little antennas.
Uniden BCD325P2
Motorola APX 6000 Portable (7/800)
Motorola APX 6500 Mobile (7/800)
RTL-SDR (x2) / Unitrunker / DSD+ / PDW