RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 2:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton25 View Post
Would it be better putting the antenna on the roof, or on the trunk?
Aesthetics and opinion? Trunk, by far! Looks so much better, I think. Functionality, of course, would be to mount it on the roof.

I do, however, have to be careful of how fast I open my trunk. Given the length of the antenna, it knocks on the glass when I have it opened.

Depending on the length of the antenna, you have to be care of roof mounts with low hanging branches and parking structures. Don't want to break the antenna at the mount. (I've seen the damage during my radio install days. Not pretty!) Yes, you could remove the antenna altogether or lay it over, depending if you bought that style of antenna. But even that can be an inconvenience. Plus you risk loosening the brass ring of the NMO if you remove the antenna all the time to compensate for such an issue.

Last edited by ke6gcv; 10-30-2017 at 2:43 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6gcv View Post
Careful mounting under the seats. Your floor vents will warm up the radios.
Iíve thought about that, but I donít use the heat much and when I do the permanent install, I was going to build some sort of thermal protection around the gear.
Old 10-31-2017, 1:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDS3 View Post
Iíve thought about that, but I donít use the heat much and when I do the permanent install, I was going to build some sort of thermal protection around the gear.
Awesome! I like that idea!
Old 11-01-2017, 3:58 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

On my previous car i was able to pull up the plastic along the bottom seal of the passenger doors in order to run the remote head cable to the front of the car. Do the plastics along the doors in the Charger come off easily? Anything I need to watch out for to prevent damage?
Old 11-01-2017, 4:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
On my previous car i was able to pull up the plastic along the bottom seal of the passenger doors in order to run the remote head cable to the front of the car. Do the plastics along the doors in the Charger come off easily? Anything I need to watch out for to prevent damage?
On the 2010 line, yes, they're easily removed with nothing to watch for. I removed mine when I ran antenna cables to the front for use with my portables. I then had to removed them again when I took out the antennas so that I may install my mobile (cables were ran completely different).

I don't think anything has changed with those pieces on the 2017 line. But don't quote me on that!
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2017, 7:30 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Anyone that uses a remote head ever think about removing the sunglass holder and installing it there? Looking at it it looks like a perfect fit for a remote head.
Old 11-16-2017, 6:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Today i pulled down the overhead console and removed the sunglass holder just to see how things would line up. In my opinion I donít think it looks all that bad. This is using the Kenwood Nx-5700 featured control head which is the largest remote head Iíve seen so anything smaller would fit all the better. The best part is if you decide you want to go back to the factory look any holes created from mounting or the remote cable would be hidden inside the sunglass holder and would be covered when the sunglass holder is closed. The only downfall I noticed was the remote head is seen in top third of the rearview mirror, to me this wouldnít be a big deal as you still have a good view out the rear window. Unfortunately I canít get a good picture with the overhead console in place until the head is bolted to the console. I look forward to hearing everyoneís input.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Today i pulled down the overhead console and removed the sunglass holder just to see how things would line up. In my opinion I don’t think it looks all that bad. This is using the Kenwood Nx-5700 featured control head which is the largest remote head I’ve seen so anything smaller would fit all the better. The best part is if you decide you want to go back to the factory look any holes created from mounting or the remote cable would be hidden inside the sunglass holder and would be covered when the sunglass holder is closed. The only downfall I noticed was the remote head is seen in top third of the rearview mirror, to me this wouldn’t be a big deal as you still have a good view out the rear window. Unfortunately I can’t get a good picture with the overhead console in place until the head is bolted to the console. I look forward to hearing everyone’s input.
That is a great idea! Will you be running a mic extension cable to somewhere around the center console? Or letting it hang from the ceiling?
Old 11-20-2017, 1:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

As of now I donít plan on installing a mic due to the fact that I donít talk much. If I ever start using the mic enough to leave it in place I would run an extension cable. I have everything installed now except for power and the antenna. Iíll probably post a forum on the overall install.
Old 11-21-2017, 1:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
As of now I donít plan on installing a mic due to the fact that I donít talk much. If I ever start using the mic enough to leave it in place I would run an extension cable. I have everything installed now except for power and the antenna. Iíll probably post a forum on the overall install.
Awesome! Looking forward to the finished results!

Thank you!
Old 11-21-2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Anyone that uses a remote head ever think about removing the sunglass holder and installing it there? Looking at it it looks like a perfect fit for a remote head.

I just did that with my V71A control head. Mine is in a 2014 Jetta, Iím lucky, as I can not see my control head in my rear view mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk