• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2017 Dodge Charger Installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Does anyone have experience with 2017 Dodge Charger installs? I'm looking for any ideas on radio mounting locations, antennas, etc. pictures really help too. Specifically regarding Chargers with the gear selector in the console.

sfd119

Ugh, good luck. I couldn't even fit an O5 head in the one I wanted so I didn't buy it.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I have a Yaesu FTM-400 Ham mounted in my 2013 Charger R/T.
Diamond Mag Mount on trunk lid with radio body mounted on back of rear left side
passenger fold down seat.. Makes for easy access and stays out of sight.
Radio face mounted on a home made steel bracket that wedge fits into that coin/glasses slot
next to shifter.
Yaesu speaker and mike mounted on left side console..
Looks great.. will get photos sometime soon. Yaesu 400 dual band radio allows for scanner listening
on B-band and Ham ops on A-Band.

paloozapro

My solution to lack of space in my truck was an 03 head on the apx7500. Only way I could make it work, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Speaking from experience (I have a '14 Charger SE). Installing an NMO in the roof isn't too hard as you don't have to take down the whole headliner. The sun visors and "oh s---" handles hold up the headliner, so just unscrew what you need. I have an ICOM IC-2100H ham rig mounted to the center dash area down by the passenger foot well. It's low and out of site, but it's still roomy enough to have a passenger and have them be comfortable. The coax runs down the pillar to the floor (there's a hole just big enough for RG-58/U to fit through the vent) then under the floormat to the radio. The biggest pain for me is that the battery is in the trunk by the spare tire, so I have to get an extended length power cable. It simply runs under the passenger seat and under the back seats to the trunk.

Nearly all of the cop Chargers I've seen though have the NMO antennas on the trunk lid and the only reason I can figure is because the lightbar takes up the primo location for mounting on the roof.

jdifabio

Premium Subscriber
Dodge Charger Mounting

I have a 2014 Charger, I have a HP-2 mounted in center console using a cut holder mount. Also have mag mount antenna on trunk. Joe

ke6gcv

Does anyone have experience with 2017 Dodge Charger installs? I'm looking for any ideas on radio mounting locations, antennas, etc. pictures really help too. Specifically regarding Chargers with the gear selector in the console.

What radio are you looking to install? I own a 2010 Charger SXT and have a Yaesu FT-8800. Obviously there's been considerable changes between 2010 and 2017 but the basic layout remains the same, I think.

The control head of the FT-8800 is mounted at the base of the stereo/AC bezel. Yes, I lost a storage compartment but well worth it! I have a Comet CA-2X4SR dual band antenna on a Larsen NMO-TLP as I don't want holes in the trunk (though I know drilling is best). I've mounted the radio brain in the trunk. Also "fabricated" a bit of a speaker mount for the center speaker on top of the dash.

Had to extend the external speaker cable and the existing separation kit cable was perfect length. All ran up the center and under the carpet.

In the next six to eight months I'm looking to replace the FT-8800 (and turn it into an event radio) and install two radios. One DMR and one analog; both dual band... Hopefully!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,300
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,309
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,292
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,295
Last edited:

Colton25

I have a Kenwood Nx-5700 with the larger remote head. I did a quick check and it seems like the remote head will fit in the compartment in front of the shifter but I could be wrong. Planned on mounting the deck in the trunk however I haven’t decided how I want to mount my antenna.

ke6gcv

I have a Kenwood Nx-5700 with the larger remote head. I did a quick check and it seems like the remote head will fit in the compartment in front of the shifter but I could be wrong. Planned on mounting the deck in the trunk however I haven’t decided how I want to mount my antenna.

I looked at the radio you mentioned. Very nice! I'm impressed! The 5700 is VHF, right? That said, you may be running a 5/8 wave or, possibly, a 1/4 wave antenna.

If drilling holes in the trunk will be an issue, like it was with me, then I recommend getting a trunk lip mount, or, perhaps, an 'L' bracket. If you're running a 1/4 wave, then a trunk lip mount should suffice. 1/4 waves are not "whippy" like 5/8 waves are. If you're running a 5/8 wave, then I'd recommend an 'L' bracket. They're sturdier and can handle the "whippy" motion of the antenna as you're driving.

Colton25

Yeah it’s VHF, had it installed in my previous vehicle. I wish Troy or one of the other console brands would make a console for chargers that have the shifter in the console.

I looked at the radio you mentioned. Very nice! I'm impressed! The 5700 is VHF, right? That said, you may be running a 5/8 wave or, possibly, a 1/4 wave antenna.

If drilling holes in the trunk will be an issue, like it was with me, then I recommend getting a trunk lip mount, or, perhaps, an 'L' bracket. If you're running a 1/4 wave, then a trunk lip mount should suffice. 1/4 waves are not "whippy" like 5/8 waves are. If you're running a 5/8 wave, then I'd recommend an 'L' bracket. They're sturdier and can handle the "whippy" motion of the antenna as you're driving.

ke6gcv

Yeah it’s VHF, had it installed in my previous vehicle. I wish Troy or one of the other console brands would make a console for chargers that have the shifter in the console.

Havis comes to mind as having a floor shifter console, but I couldn't find it when I looked. Then again, my Google-foo skills may not be up to par.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
A few pics of my 2013 Charger Yaesu 400DR radio setup.
Radio mounted on back of rear fold down seat.
Antenna Diamond mag mount.
Radio head mounted on homemade angled SS bracket that wedges into console slot.
Speaker and mic mounted lower left side of console.. Needed extension cable
for mic but speaker and RG cable for radio head data were long enough.
Not perfect but works well..

Attachments

• m_seatmount.jpg
    m_seatmount.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,084
  • m_magmount.jpg
    m_magmount.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,089
  • m_console2.jpg
    m_console2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,155

ke6gcv

A few pics of my 2013 Charger Yaesu 400DR radio setup.
Radio mounted on back of rear fold down seat.
Antenna Diamond mag mount.
Radio head mounted on homemade angled SS bracket that wedges into console slot.
Speaker and mic mounted lower left side of console.. Needed extension cable
for mic but speaker and RG cable for radio head data were long enough.
Not perfect but works well..

Nicely done install! Though I'm hoping to be able to get a truck for my next vehicle, I will look into using that storage area next to the shifter should I stick with the Charger.

That's the one thing I couldn't do... Put my FT-8800 on the seat back. I use my trunk too much to mount it there. Too much potential for damage to the radio, seat, or both.

I tucked the radio away just inside the trunk above the wheel well on the passenger side. It's pushed in far enough in so no damage can come to the radio from things being placed into and taken out of the trunk. Plus I mounted the radio with the rear facing outward so that I can get access to the PS/2-looking programming port.

Though not depicted in this pic, all cables have been ran upward across the top of the radio and into the trunk lining. Keeps the trunk neat looking and eliminates the potential of breaking any wires. I will see about getting pics of my cabling a bit later, if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• WP_20170604_17_52_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170604_17_52_53_Pro.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,055
Last edited:

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Do you guys find any problems with heat and the radios on the trunk. I’m thinking of putting my stuff there as well.

ke6gcv

Do you guys find any problems with heat and the radios on the trunk. I’m thinking of putting my stuff there as well.

I've had my radio in since this past summer and haven't had any issues. I'm not a heavy talker either. So... for me, heat has never been a concern.

Another way to look at it is this: Law enforcement usually has all of their communications equipment in the trunk of their Chargers and old Crown Vics. To my knowledge, from my friends in law enforcement, they haven't had any heat related issues. And they have far more radio equipment than my one radio plus heat from the exhaust. Then again, they're using commercial equipment and not Amateur equipment.

Mark

Premium Subscriber

Also radio has cooling fan and trunk is cooler than radio sitting on dashboard
getting direct sunlight on a hot Summer day.
My radio head on console gets warm but no problems.
Trunk is cooler and no problems here with that type radio mount.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Good to know. Right now my plan is to put everything under the front seats to cut down on having to run wires but I’m afraid of dust getting inside of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.