RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 2:03 AM

Default Installing new equipment in newer vehicles (Suburban Tahoe)

Hello
I would to install a couple of different radios in a newer vehicle. But at this point I'm just doing some research. I'm curious if it's possible to run wires through the firewall of a 2014-2016 Suburban with out drilling any holes? But also of course to do it safely. I've read articles about empty/dummy grommets under the floor. I personally don't think that's the way to go. I also thought the factory's left empty or blank spaces on the firewall? I greatly appreciate any information.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2017, 2:13 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That is a popular law enforcement model there should be an area somewhere on the firewall.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Installing new equipment in newer vehicles (Suburban Tahoe)

Quick and easy is to put a new hole off to the side of the main wiring harness bundle in the OE grommet. After you past 10 ga though, you really should consider using s dedicated grommet.

The GM Upfitters manuals are full of information on the subject. They even have information on how to convert tail lights from STP to S/TP configuration to meet requirements for operation in some Overseas countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2017, 11:15 AM

The new tahoe suburbans have a "nipple" on the top of the main harness boot on the top driver side firewall..you cut that off drop the fuse box on the other side interior remove the rubber disk fish the wires trough replace the disk and the fuse box... that is how the Emergency vehicle upfitters do it on the 15-up ..There is no easy place to drill a firewall hole now. The pre 2015 you could get a nice easy hole with even a designated spot on the firewall where the insulation was cut out from the factory.. I work on these every day
Old 10-29-2017, 9:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I suggest doing a Google search for "Tahoe Upfitter Guide". Most manufacturers post information on how they recommend installation of equipment.
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2017, 5:48 PM

This is the upfitter site others are referring to https://www.gmupfitter.com/

There is a lot of good info there.
Baofeng UV-5Rv2+
Old 10-30-2017, 7:06 PM

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...letin_118c.pdf
Old 10-30-2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
The new tahoe suburbans have a "nipple" on the top of the main harness boot on the top driver side firewall..you cut that off drop the fuse box on the other side interior remove the rubber disk fish the wires trough replace the disk and the fuse box... that is how the Emergency vehicle upfitters do it on the 15-up ..There is no easy place to drill a firewall hole now. The pre 2015 you could get a nice easy hole with even a designated spot on the firewall where the insulation was cut out from the factory.. I work on these every day
Ford Super Duty's are the same way. Big enough to get a 6 gauge through there.

And, the upfitter guides are indispensable. A lot of these larger vehicles have useful connection points available, even "pass through" wiring for extra lighting. I was easily able to use this to pull an ignition sense lead on an F350.
Old 10-31-2017, 1:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Watch the Roof Line

How do you intend on mounting the antenna(s)? I'm asking because the newer Tahoe and Suburban models (can't remember the model year this started) have an indented/raised "water channel" line that runs directly down the center of the roof. This would make for offset mounted antennas if you intend on drilling holes in the roof.

I found that out when I noticed the antennas on our local Battalion Chief's Suburban were not centered to the roof. They're offset to the passenger side. The average person may not notice, but I sure did and it looked weird!

Last edited by ke6gcv; 10-31-2017 at 1:31 PM..
Old 10-31-2017, 1:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here's a thread I found that shows the roof line of a 2015 GMC Yukon. You can see the center is raised a bit running directly down the center.

https://forums.radioreference.com/pi...n-install.html