• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Installing new equipment in newer vehicles (Suburban Tahoe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

Hello
I would to install a couple of different radios in a newer vehicle. But at this point I'm just doing some research. I'm curious if it's possible to run wires through the firewall of a 2014-2016 Suburban with out drilling any holes? But also of course to do it safely. I've read articles about empty/dummy grommets under the floor. I personally don't think that's the way to go. I also thought the factory's left empty or blank spaces on the firewall? I greatly appreciate any information.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Quick and easy is to put a new hole off to the side of the main wiring harness bundle in the OE grommet. After you past 10 ga though, you really should consider using s dedicated grommet.

The GM Upfitters manuals are full of information on the subject. They even have information on how to convert tail lights from STP to S/TP configuration to meet requirements for operation in some Overseas countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The new tahoe suburbans have a "nipple" on the top of the main harness boot on the top driver side firewall..you cut that off drop the fuse box on the other side interior remove the rubber disk fish the wires trough replace the disk and the fuse box... that is how the Emergency vehicle upfitters do it on the 15-up ..There is no easy place to drill a firewall hole now. The pre 2015 you could get a nice easy hole with even a designated spot on the firewall where the insulation was cut out from the factory.. I work on these every day

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I suggest doing a Google search for "Tahoe Upfitter Guide". Most manufacturers post information on how they recommend installation of equipment.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The new tahoe suburbans have a "nipple" on the top of the main harness boot on the top driver side firewall..you cut that off drop the fuse box on the other side interior remove the rubber disk fish the wires trough replace the disk and the fuse box... that is how the Emergency vehicle upfitters do it on the 15-up ..There is no easy place to drill a firewall hole now. The pre 2015 you could get a nice easy hole with even a designated spot on the firewall where the insulation was cut out from the factory.. I work on these every day

Ford Super Duty's are the same way. Big enough to get a 6 gauge through there.

And, the upfitter guides are indispensable. A lot of these larger vehicles have useful connection points available, even "pass through" wiring for extra lighting. I was easily able to use this to pull an ignition sense lead on an F350.

ke6gcv

Watch the Roof Line

How do you intend on mounting the antenna(s)? I'm asking because the newer Tahoe and Suburban models (can't remember the model year this started) have an indented/raised "water channel" line that runs directly down the center of the roof. This would make for offset mounted antennas if you intend on drilling holes in the roof.

I found that out when I noticed the antennas on our local Battalion Chief's Suburban were not centered to the roof. They're offset to the passenger side. The average person may not notice, but I sure did and it looked weird!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.