RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 5:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 2017 F150 Extended Cab

Has anyone installed a single NMO in the roof yet ? Where is the best spot to drop the hole ? I really dont want to tear down the headliner (yes i have the proper bit) unless i need to. Normally I drill the hole then fish the cable off to the drivers B pillar. I pulled the rubber but couldn't see if there is any rib in the center or not.

I only plan to install one mount. Any insight would be great.
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2017, 5:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I’d pull the 3rd brake light to see what you’re working with if you don’t wanna drop the headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-15-2017, 6:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Pulled it earlier today but cant see to far forward. I may just drill and hope !
Old 11-15-2017, 6:27 PM

Where is your dome light? Maybe drop it out and go that route.
Old 11-15-2017, 7:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I did 2 NMO’s, one left and the other right. It was easy to pull the rubber trim down around the back door and reach in to grab the NMO cable.
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2017, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
Pulled it earlier today but cant see to far forward. I may just drill and hope !

I couldn’t either. I used a fiberglass rod (harbor freight wire fishing stick thing) to push forward to see where I hit an obstruction. Needed to do this as I have a sunroof.

I stuck it in as far as it’d go then back out a half inch and mark it. Laid it on the roof so I could see how far forward I could go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-15-2017, 9:20 PM

I don't know on the F150's, but I did an F350 regular cab a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure the cabs are similar enough.

I installed two antennas, VHF 1/4 wave and 800MHz. One 18" in from the drivers side, one 18" in from the passenger side. I was able to pull the rubber gasket out and get a peek up above the headliner and see it was clear. I ran it to the B pillar and down on each side.

Not sure about doing one in the center. I have a 2011 F150 crew cab and was able to do it, but pretty sure the cabs have changed since then.
Old 11-16-2017, 5:21 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to pull the liner when i have time. Had hoped to drop a mount before heading out on a trip. Guess i should have planned better. As for the dome light idea....in past that was fine. This has an LED module in the center and I cannot figure out for the life of me how to remove it.

I have installed hundreds of mounts over the year in every type of vehicle but was trying to save time....
Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to pull the liner when i have time. Had hoped to drop a mount before heading out on a trip. Guess i should have planned better. As for the dome light idea....in past that was fine. This has an LED module in the center and I cannot figure out for the life of me how to remove it.

I have installed hundreds of mounts over the year in every type of vehicle but was trying to save time....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos/...e-light-356124

Here you go!
Old 01-18-2018, 6:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You shouldn't have to drop the liner. You typically can locate the ribs by gently pulling the liner down with the weather stripping pulled away. Quick and easy would be just mounting in the area the CHMSL is located in. Not theoretically the best location but it does work.
Old 01-18-2018, 3:55 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhetzel View Post
Nothing in those videos relates to a 2017....Totally different..
Old 01-18-2018, 3:57 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
You shouldn't have to drop the liner. You typically can locate the ribs by gently pulling the liner down with the weather stripping pulled away. Quick and easy would be just mounting in the area the CHMSL is located in. Not theoretically the best location but it does work.
I have multiple mounts to go in so it will be just as easy to drop liner. I tried to pull it down after pulling the rubber as I have done on previous fords but its pretty tight still. As soon as we dont have feet of snow and 10 below zero for a few weeks I'll get back to the project.
Old 01-18-2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Nothing in those videos relates to a 2017....Totally different..
Getting the rear dome light out of the 2011 was a challenge, but once figured out, it was pretty easy. There were some tabs that went into the headliner that could be released and the dropped out. Getting the bracket that held the light out was a challenge, required turning it sideways and down.

If you are going to be installing multiple mounts, dropping the headliner might be a good thing to do. That might make cable routing a bit easier. Can be done without it, but it's up to you.