• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile Power Regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

quarterwave

Since this is where everyone is posting about installs, I have a question.

Has anyone found a nice, small all in one UPS or capacitor type regulation system to combat voltage sag when cranking a vehicle? Some vehicles are good about it, and some are not, no matter where you pick up the power (at battery, dash, aux outlet). I can build one, but seems like there should be something out there...google is just not giving it to me yet!

Mr_Boh

Also don’t know what you’re trying to power but LIND makes “power conditioners” that have capacitors built in and can withstand engine cranking for like 10 seconds depending on device. They can be purchased as universal dc in dc out. They are just pricier. I don’t know if they still do but at one point they had vehicle UPS devices but they were definitely pricier than the PicoUPS.

prcguy

I bought one of these to calm down a 500W mobile HF amplifier: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UCAP16-58-...858653?hash=item3af1ebb19d:g:iFgAAOSwu-BWOSO-

Before getting this capacitor I had to run a 100AH battery behind the seat of my truck right at the amp to deal with voltage sag on SSB voice peaks and to keep the amp from setting off all the dash warning lights. This capacitor is about 15 Farads at 17V and takes several minutes for a 20A power supply to charge it.

I also noticed my HF radio in my truck does not reset when I start the truck because the capacitor is 15ft of wire downstream from the battery and the capacitor holds the voltage at the radio very constant.
prcguy

Correction, the capacitor is 58.3 Farads!

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have an AGM battery in my '16 Sorento and it maintains enough voltage to keep my Yaesu FT-8900R powered up during car starts. As the battery ages, it may not stay that way. Mine came with the battery but I think they're a little pricey to replace: $325+ at the dealer.

N4KVE

I picked up a device for a few bucks that delays the radio turning on for whatever time I select. I set it for 8 seconds, because I never have to crank the engine for that long. So when I get in the car, & turn the key, the radio gets no power for 8 seconds, so it is never on while the engine is cranking. This particular device is used in elevators to control how long the doors stay open when the elevator stops on a floor. Not much bigger than your thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.