• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Magnet mount antenna - secure cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicN

I’m planning on mounting a HF antenna on a magnet mount on my van, but are looking for solutions for securing the cable, so that is not jumping around on my roof damaging the paint. Does anyone got a tip on how to make the cable secure so it stays still ?

Two of my other antennas is mounted on a cargo rack, but it can’t be three antennas on it..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well, more magnets would do it, but that still risks damaging the paint. There are small nylon cable tie mounts that are designed to be stuck on with the included double sided tape. Getting a few of those and some suitably sized magnets might work.

Curious how big your mag mount is for an HF antenna? Seems like if you were concerned about the coax damaging the paint, you'd not want to be using a big antenna with a big mag mount.

teufler

most hf mag mts that I have used, use 3 or 4 magnets. Because the antenna is so long, roof mount is not very practical. Mounting on a trunk lid, though you have mentioned you have a luggage rack. Can you mount the antenna between the luggage rack side pieces, Then use tie wraps to attach the cable to the rack, so you should only have maybe 4 inches that would flap in the breeze. Then run the cable though at a door. Best I did was a mount on a trailer hitch. Because of the height of the antenna, any higher, it struck trees.

N3LER

Canadian Firm

I bought a couple of magnetic clam type mount to affix my cable. They were originally designed to hold the ac cable for electric crankcase heaters from banging around the front of the car. It was a canadian company. I will check the items themselves to see if there is any mfr data and post later.

Status
Not open for further replies.