RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2017, 3:27 PM

Default Magnet mount antenna - secure cable?

Iím planning on mounting a HF antenna on a magnet mount on my van, but are looking for solutions for securing the cable, so that is not jumping around on my roof damaging the paint. Does anyone got a tip on how to make the cable secure so it stays still ?

Two of my other antennas is mounted on a cargo rack, but it canít be three antennas on it..
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2017, 3:34 PM

Well, more magnets would do it, but that still risks damaging the paint. There are small nylon cable tie mounts that are designed to be stuck on with the included double sided tape. Getting a few of those and some suitably sized magnets might work.

Curious how big your mag mount is for an HF antenna? Seems like if you were concerned about the coax damaging the paint, you'd not want to be using a big antenna with a big mag mount.
Old 11-24-2017, 3:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

most hf mag mts that I have used, use 3 or 4 magnets. Because the antenna is so long, roof mount is not very practical. Mounting on a trunk lid, though you have mentioned you have a luggage rack. Can you mount the antenna between the luggage rack side pieces, Then use tie wraps to attach the cable to the rack, so you should only have maybe 4 inches that would flap in the breeze. Then run the cable though at a door. Best I did was a mount on a trailer hitch. Because of the height of the antenna, any higher, it struck trees.
Old 11-24-2017, 9:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Canadian Firm

I bought a couple of magnetic clam type mount to affix my cable. They were originally designed to hold the ac cable for electric crankcase heaters from banging around the front of the car. It was a canadian company. I will check the items themselves to see if there is any mfr data and post later.