• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Power question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Res21cue

Feed Provider
Hi all

Looking to power a Kenwood VHF mobile and a Uniden 996T scanner in a 2016 GMC Sierra. Normally I would just use fuse taps and be away but much to my surprise; the truck has 3 blade fuses which is new to me. Micro3 fuses. I can’t find taps anywhere other than amazon with 3 blades.

There is an accessory blade on the drivers side fuse panel but only 1 but it is beside a 50 relay

My question is....

Can I crimp both positive wires together into 1 female spade connectors and have both units powered from that 1 blade beside a 50 amp relay? See attached pic. Not my pic but same set up except I don’t currently have anything on my blade.

Confirmed this blade is RAP power aswell so it would be perfect if I can run both positives from it.

Attachments

• 5DEDCE08-A758-4DDC-AF6E-9351FDCA82D8.jpg
    5DEDCE08-A758-4DDC-AF6E-9351FDCA82D8.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 569

jackj

Short answer is Yes. Also a lot of older vehicles have unused fuse slots that have one side populated with a female connection that is connected to either the ignition switch or direct to the battery. You could use a blade type crimp-on to tap un-fused power. Tie-wrap the wire(s) to something to stabilize them.

crazyboy

You’re planning on powering the two way radio from the fuse panel not the battery?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd avoid using fuse taps if you can.
And, as others have said, you don't want to run your Kenwood off a fuse tap for sure.

Ideally you really want the Kenwood connected to the battery. Taping into existing circuits is a common way to get noise into your radio.

As for pulling RAP power to control ignition sense circuits, there's a couple of easy ways to do it…
Check with the GM upfitter guides to see if there is a ignition switched power feed available under the dash. I did an install a while back in a 2017 F350 and Ford installed a connector under the passenger side dash that had a bunch of circuits for various upfitter usage, including a separately fused ignition sense lead. I connected to that and didn't have to tap into existing fuses.
Other option, and I've done this on a few GM's, is to find an unused circuit. The trucks I was installing in didn't have sun roofs, so I was able to find the taped off lead in the A pillar that would have fed the sun roof. I installed a 3 amp fuse in the sun roof slot (rated for 20 amps) and used that.

I'm always a bit leery when I see an install done using fuse taps. While they do work, it only takes a bit of extra work to do a better looking install. Especially if you are going to be doing anything that requires more than a few amps.

sfd119

I'm pretty sure the GMC is similar to the GM Trucks. There's a spot to route a main power wire into the truck without cutting through the firewall or anything.

Power wire: Easy wires through firewall, thought I'd share - 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 Silverado & Sierra Accessories & Modifications - GM-Trucks.com

RAP Power for Ignition Sense: 2014+ R.A.P (Retained Accessory Power) - 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 Silverado & Sierra Accessories & Modifications - GM-Trucks.com

Might be of some use to you.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
MMckenna's right. No fuse tap. That might work for an extra cigarette lighter plug or some fancy inside lighting but the radio:? I wouldn't. The firewall on new vehicles is sometimes lacking for openings. If you're uncomfortable with trying to wire it, go to a professional radio shop and let them do it, including a ground to the frame or something substantial. Just the wiring into the passenger compartment. You can do the rest of it.

And I always label the wire coming off the battery. Repair shops might need to know what that maverick wire is.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I took my Toyota Camry to an audio installer. I told them to run the wiring from the battery + and frame - that would power a 2,000 watt audio amp. They charged $85 for the job and had it done in less than 20 minutes. :D

N9JIG

Sheriff
I brought my truck to an upfitter for the antenna and power installation. He installed a relay and high-power line to the rear so I could power my radios with the ignition directly off the battery.

I have not had any vehicular noise issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.