• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1 power supply for 2 radios, how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

So I have two vertex vx-4207 mobile radios that I use as scanners. One has been collecting dust in storage for a while so I thought I should I hook it up. There's no transmitting on these radios as they are used specifically for receiving purposes only. I have a 10 amp supply for one of them and I'm clueless on how I should hook up the second one. Is it safe? Do I need to buy fuses for the 2nd radio? (The one I use currently has fuses) is there a spiltter of some sort to split the power? links for products (preferably on Amazon) would be really appreciate.

Thanks in advance

i use a Astron 10 AMP on all 3 Motorola radios for base use only TX on 1 radio all 3 have the Motorola Power Cables i just hooked all 3 to the Power Terminal on the rear of the Power Supply.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
There shouldn't be a problem. Hook them up in parallel. Connect the plus lead from each radio to the plus terminal on the supply and the negative lead from each radio to the negative terminal on the supply.

You won't need to by fuses for the second radio, but it's good practice to have fuses.

Danny37

So bare wire from both radios making contact with each other won't do any damage to radios or the power supply when I connect them to the leads?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Posts deleted. If you don't plan on helping then please don't reply. Thank you!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Thread moved. The OP isn't using amateur radio equipment and his question has more to do with radio installation than it does amateur radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a 10 amp supply for one of them and I'm clueless on how I should hook up the second one. Is it safe?

Yes, it's safe as long as you properly fuse the radios.

Do I need to buy fuses for the 2nd radio? (The one I use currently has fuses)

Strongly recommended, however there are multiple ways to do this, see below:

is there a spiltter of some sort to split the power? links for products (preferably on Amazon) would be really appreciate.

Sure, Something like this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/Seachoice-AT...F8&qid=1514570851&sr=8-43&keywords=fuse+block
It allows you to fuse each radio individually as well as provides a connection point for the negative leads. I've used similar fuse blocks on installs, and they work well.

k6cpo

Yes, it's safe as long as you properly fuse the radios.

Strongly recommended, however there are multiple ways to do this, see below:

Sure, Something like this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/Seachoice-AT...F8&qid=1514570851&sr=8-43&keywords=fuse+block
It allows you to fuse each radio individually as well as provides a connection point for the negative leads. I've used similar fuse blocks on installs, and they work well.

This fuse block doesn't make accommodation for the negative return lead. That would have to be a separate piece.

Something like one of the fused RigRunners mentioned above would be a better approach. Here's the setup I use in my shack:

The lead on the left to the 40A fuse comes from the power supply. The other three leads, each fused at 25A got to a 2m/70cm mobile, a 6m mobile and an iCom HF radio. The only issue with using something like this is that it requires the ability to install Anderson Powerpoles on all the leads.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
power supply

I currently run two switcher power supplies to power my scanners. One is sec1212 powers two bct-15X's, a psr-410 and a pro-2042. The second powers three scanners bct-15/ pro-2051 and bcd-536hp that power supply is repurposed from an old motorola repeater. I installed volt meters on both and have had zero problems for a few years now. You can see the volt meters 13.9 and 13.7. I really like those rigrunner modules! Looking into them now!!

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

scanmanmi

Mine hasn't caught fire yet.
picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.