• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Mounting on Plastic Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thick mount NMO with a ground plane on the underside.
A "no ground plane antenna is going to be about 40 inches tall (give our take), and may be problematic on a tall vehicle like that. A 1/4 wave will work well with the addition of a ground plane on the underside. Ground plane could be adhesive foil tape, sheet metal/aluminum, screen, etc. Mounting on the plastic body shouldn't be an issue. Fiberglass bodies are used in a lot of vehicles.

SCPD

QRT
Thick mount NMO with a ground plane on the underside.
A "no ground plane antenna is going to be about 40 inches tall (give our take), and may be problematic on a tall vehicle like that. A 1/4 wave will work well with the addition of a ground plane on the underside. Ground plane could be adhesive foil tape, sheet metal/aluminum, screen, etc. Mounting on the plastic body shouldn't be an issue. Fiberglass bodies are used in a lot of vehicles.

And that is why I post here! I didn't even know that they made thick NMO mounts. I guess just because I never have looked for one. Thanks for the tip man!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I personally prefer the Larsen brand products:
https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmokhfcxthk-1161

Install a piece of sheet metal between the underside of the body and the bottom of the mount, at least 1/4 wavelength in diameter (depending on what frequency you are using for your mobile extender). You can glue, bolt, etc. it to the underside. Add a 1/4 wave whip and coax and you'll be good to go.

The make thicker mounts, too. Up to 1 inch. You can order with custom cable lengths, too.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
It seems strange that the OP asked about installation on a "Plastic Utility box" and all replies are about vehicular mounting... :confused:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It seems strange that the OP asked about installation on a "Plastic Utility box" and all replies are about vehicular mounting... :confused:

His original post, the way I replied to it, was of a composite rescue truck body, including a photo. The antenna was for an SVR-200 VHF mobile repeater connected to a VHF APX-4500. I suspect the OP edited it for some reason.

What matters is that he got the answer he was looking for.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Ideas for mounting Antennas on a Plastic Utility box?
Diamond and I believe Comet make some DC grounded mobile antennas. I know the Diamond NR770HA is and it works well for me on a vehicle rack. I believe the HA is chrome looking and the HB version is black.

If you plan/need to use a 1/4 wave antenna, it will need one of the ground plane options.

SCPD

QRT
His original post, the way I replied to it, was of a composite rescue truck body, including a photo. The antenna was for an SVR-200 VHF mobile repeater connected to a VHF APX-4500. I suspect the OP edited it for some reason.

What matters is that he got the answer he was looking for.

Yes thanks guys long story short I got the exact responses I needed- I think it would be easiest to take a piece of sheet metal to make a ground plane in conjunction with a longer NMO mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Diamond and I believe Comet make some DC grounded mobile antennas. I know the Diamond NR770HA is and it works well for me on a vehicle rack. I believe the HA is chrome looking and the HB version is black.

If you plan/need to use a 1/4 wave antenna, it will need one of the ground plane options.

I will look into the diamond line!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Look at it, but I'd recommend not putting a hobby grade antenna on a fire vehicle.
The pro companies make suitable antennas, and they'll last a lot longer. While you can certainly make any antenna work, you need to look at long term durability, reliability and liability. If the system doesn't work, you don't want someone seeing an amateur radio antenna on top of the vehicle.

It's not hard to put a ground plane under the antenna. If you really can't, then get a 1/2 wave antenna, which won't require one (but works better with one).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

It would also help if you reposted the original info on the vehicle you are going to install on. I think based on some of the replies, there may be some confusion about what you are doing.

For fire service applications, especially mobile, using consumer/hobby/amateur radio grade antennas is not suitable. For mobile repeater use, which is what I think you original application was, you don't need wide bandwidth, you don't need multiband, and you certainly want something high quality. You may also end up with frequencies that are well above or below the amateur radio bands.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It would also help if you reposted the original info on the vehicle you are going to install on. I think based on some of the replies, there may be some confusion about what you are doing.

For fire service applications, especially mobile, using consumer/hobby/amateur radio grade antennas is not suitable. For mobile repeater use, which is what I think you original application was, you don't need wide bandwidth, you don't need multiband, and you certainly want something high quality. You may also end up with frequencies that are well above or below the amateur radio bands.
Yes, this is a good point. I presumed VHF/UHF amateur bands with my suggestion, as a solution for a plastic utility box. When I envision a "plastic utility box" I do not consider something that size would have enough area for a decent ground plane for a mobile antenna.

SCPD

QRT
Yes, this is a good point. I presumed VHF/UHF amateur bands with my suggestion, as a solution for a plastic utility box. When I envision a "plastic utility box" I do not consider something that size would have enough area for a decent ground plane for a mobile antenna.

It is for an emergency vehicle- VHF in band repeater

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It is for an emergency vehicle- VHF in band repeater
Oh wow, yeah different level of need here, professional vs. amateur. mmckenna provided the correct information. A half wave monoband antenna tuned for the band/freq's you will use would be paramount.

1. A half wave vertical antenna reduces the need for an artificial or physical ground, but it works better when over a large metal surface. On the roof of a vehicle is one thing, but park that vehicle among a group of similar height vehicles in a parking lot and enjoy the improved ground plane even more.

2. The monoband aspect of the antenna also works to eliminate RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) you do not want; harmonics are a factor.

3. What we do not know is how far away and where this in-band repeater needs to work. For example, residential housing versus multi-storied buildings, flat land or mountainous terrain etc.

Ultimately, life or limb deserves more than amateur equipment for all concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.