RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 8:18 PM

Default Pantech UML295 External Antenna Connector

I have a data modem that will be permanently installed into a vehicle. It is a Pantech UML295 manufactured for Verizon's 4G LTE network. ( https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...-modem-uml295/ )

I am having trouble locating reliable information about what type of external antenna connectors this modem has. Some results in Amazon for adapter cables reference it as a "pigtail", others as "TNC", and others as "TS9". I am hoping someone can provide some expert confirmation or analysis as to what type of connectors these are for sure. I've attached an image file of the antenna connectors on the modem. Could you help me properly identify these connectors?

My end goal is to find the adapter to connect it, and some good NMO-HF magnetic or trunk lip mount with cabling with which to connect it to, where I'll have two external Pulse Larsen SLPT698/2170NMOHF antennas.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2018, 9:48 PM

Those are called FME connectors
Old 02-22-2018, 8:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is what your looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wirel...ntenna+pigtail

I just bought some for a customer and they fit great. I forgot the name of the connector, but its larger then a TS9.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTEX View Post
Those are called FME connectors
So with this information of them being FME, I purchased some Pulse Larsen Tri-Band Glass Mount LTE Antennas / R380900323.. I can say these won't fit the Pantech UML295, so I don't think the UML295 has FME connectors. It must be something else. Looks like I need do some more research on the UML295 connectors first.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The adapter i linked in my earlier post converts the modem from its connector to a SMA Female, since you have an antenna with a FME female, they wont mate. You need this adapter linked below to connect the pigtail i linked in the other post to the antenna you purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-2-Pack-...A23YDYH2AP2C8X

In total, you need the following to connect that antenna you purchased to your pantech modem:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W65XXW4...iglink20662-20

and

https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-2-Pack-...A23YDYH2AP2C8X
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2018, 11:42 AM

Excellent. I'll buy them and report back. I'd rather get the adapters than lose the money spent on the perfectly good antennas. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-02-2018, 7:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just a word of advice, I would go with a Cradlepoint modem instead of a USB/Hotspot device. You'll have better connectivity. I've found that even with an external antenna, I would still experience signal issues and rebooting issues with those devices.
Old 04-02-2018, 8:19 PM

Thanks for the recommendation - though I'm pretty happy with the setup I have. It's been running flawlessly.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd119 View Post
Just a word of advice, I would go with a Cradlepoint modem instead of a USB/Hotspot device. You'll have better connectivity. I've found that even with an external antenna, I would still experience signal issues and rebooting issues with those devices.
So you are absolutely right. The firmware on the USB modem locks up frequently and is not reliable. I wasn't seeing it before because it was rebooting regularly as a result of my changes on my network config while I was testing. Once I stopped making changes and hence no longer rebooted my router, I began to see the USB modem locking up in less than 48 hours.

I'll be taking your advice and looking for a different solution. I'm interested in the CradlePoints as well as some particular MikroTik's with their US LTE miniPCIe cards.
Old 04-25-2018, 8:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT843XX View Post
So you are absolutely right. The firmware on the USB modem locks up frequently and is not reliable. I wasn't seeing it before because it was rebooting regularly as a result of my changes on my network config while I was testing. Once I stopped making changes and hence no longer rebooted my router, I began to see the USB modem locking up in less than 48 hours.

I'll be taking your advice and looking for a different solution. I'm interested in the CradlePoints as well as some particular MikroTik's with their US LTE miniPCIe cards.
Your best bet would be a CradlePoint. Very easy to manage and they are pretty much plug and play. You can find some used ones on eBay for pretty cheap. Just make sure you research the model numbers to know that it'll work with your Carrier of choice.

Tags
fme connectors, mobile 4g lte, pantech uml295, usb modems, verizon 4g lte