RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 10:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Install advise for a 2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad

Hello. Proud new owner of a 2015 Journey Crossroad.
I am looking to install my Yaesu FT-8800 (using separation cable), and an old-school amplified Motorola speaker.

As far as an antenna is concerned, I am NOT messing with the headliner, as there are airbags along both sides. I will be using a dual band window antenna.

Where would anyone recommend I mount the radio itself? I am thinking under the passenger seat (storage bin) but I would rather not drill some holes.

Any ideas, suggestions or photos would be helpful.
Thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2018, 1:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Installing radios in newer cars can be a challenge. They don't leave much room to get you hands in and pull wires. Everything seems to be computer run and finding power you want can be tough. I just peeked at some online pics to see what you have.

Window antennas are referred to as dummy loads...they are not going to work as well as drilling a hole in the roof. So what else can we look at? A Tram 1246 lip mount for $20 (Tram has PL and NMO models) attached to the passenger side of your hood--up by the windshield. You won't be able to run a big antenna, but I find a Comet B-10 (in PL or NMO) works for my needs. I've always been able to find a spot on the driver's side to bring the feedline in and power lines out of the passenger area. You can just mount the radio on the passenger side as far forward as possible...a few small holes won't decrease the value--just leave the screws in when you sell it (black looks best). Traded in a Ford last year where I did this and the dealer didn't say a word. You can put the radio under a seat, but not in a storage box--they need airflow for cooling.

Here are some pics. The antenna pic shows both if you look close. I have to take off the antenna for automatic car washes with brushes. The both have relays so they radios power on and off when the car is on and off--Ford has a bypass switch so I can turn on the radio with the car off (too lazy to install in Jeep).

Hope they help.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2018, 11:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you for the reply. I have a couple NMO trunk mounts that I suppose I really could use. I would rather have one on the roof, but i'm deathly afraid of screwing up the curtain air bags. Is there a sure fire way of getting past those?

I appreciate the pics as well. I have ideas, just like different options.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman5000 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I have a couple NMO trunk mounts that I suppose I really could use. I would rather have one on the roof, but i'm deathly afraid of screwing up the curtain air bags. Is there a sure fire way of getting past those?
I've installed in many vehicles with side curtain airbags. It's not a big issue. Just route the coax above the airbag and then down the side pillar to your radio.
The curtain airbags are designed to deploy down over the door/window, so if you route along the skin of the vehicle, you'll be fine.
Other option is down the very front corner (A pillar) or down the very rear corner of the vehicle where there are no airbags.

The benefit to having the antenna up on the roof, where they belong, with a good ground plane more than makes up for the extra work.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I agree that it belongs on the roof.

The next question is this. What about drilling through the "bucket" (For lack of better terms) that is below the passenger seat? I would need to drill a big enough hole for the 10-12 guage power wire, the control cable and the coax.
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I agree that it belongs on the roof.

The next question is this. What about drilling through the "bucket" (For lack of better terms) that is below the passenger seat? I would need to drill a big enough hole for the 10-12 guage power wire, the control cable and the coax.
Edit, I misunderstood what you were asking.

Not sure what you mean by "bucket" under the set. If you mean drilling through the floor and routing the wire in from under the vehicle, that's usually not a good plan. It can be difficult to properly seal it up afterwards.

If the battery is under the hood, in the engine compartment, it's usually best to come through the firewall. It's easier to seal, and better protected. There are usually existing holes, grommets or wire paths that you can use for this. Spending some time under the hood with a light will help.

Last edited by mmckenna; 03-30-2018 at 12:37 AM..
Old 04-25-2018, 5:31 PM

What I can't understand is why a cop shop would install antennas this way instead of in the middle:

Old 04-25-2018, 6:56 PM

Laziness.

Or, some dept's don't want the middle of the trunk occupied with an antenna. They use it as an evidence table. Either way, it should be there.
Old 04-25-2018, 8:08 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Because they BELIEVE in their heart of hearts that drilling a hole in a flat surface like a trunk lid or a roof lessens the resale value of the car.

Never mind that cop cars and such rack up huge mileages and are beat to crap; no, a 3/4 inch antenna hole will reduce the potential of that car getting top dollar on the used market.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboys-Scanna View Post
What I can't understand is why a cop shop would install antennas this way instead of in the middle:
Some "cop shops" are cleverly disguised as stereo installers, and are often not very good at either one.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The "bucket" so to speak, is a storage compartment installed under the seat cushion of the passenger front seat.
An update to my antenna install. I tried the trunk lip mount to the hood, didn't work (believe me, a MAJOR HEADACHE...missing a few allan wrenches), also tried a 90 degree NMO bracket to the fender, could NOT find a good path for coax through the fire-wall, so i'm still at a standstill.

I do have a window mount antenna ( I know, I know) but at this rate its almost the only option i have. The little label on the tint reads "20 tint" so i'm assuming that means what I think that means. Does anyone think a window mount antenna would work with this?

I am tempted to visit a Dodge dealership and get some opinions on running coax (i'm still worried about the curtain airbags)
Old 05-01-2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
I am tempted to visit a Dodge dealership and get some opinions on running coax (i'm still worried about the curtain airbags)
I did that to try to find out what was up in the headliner. The Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer's had NO clue. Even tried a auto body/collision shop, again NO clues. NO dammed help...

Not hard to loosen the rubber at the top of the door opening and look up in the 'headliner'. I route the coax cable to the back of the rear door jam and down that pillar. That puts the coax away from the airbag.