• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2007 New Body Style Chevy Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattkuhar

Just mounted 2 of my 3-4 planned NMO mounts yesterday in the truck, and im curious. Has anybody ever had issues with using aluminum ductwork tape to hold to coax run to the roof? More specifically, will it cause any interference or am I just worrying over nothing?

Attachments

• IMG_9395.jpg
    IMG_9395.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_9394.jpg
    IMG_9394.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_9393.jpg
    IMG_9393.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_9392.jpg
    IMG_9392.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_9391.jpg
    IMG_9391.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 400

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just mounted 2 of my 3-4 planned NMO mounts yesterday in the truck, and im curious. Has anybody ever had issues with using aluminum ductwork tape to hold to coax run to the roof? More specifically, will it cause any interference or am I just worrying over nothing?

I've never used aluminum ductwork tape, but I have used gaffers tape. It can be a good option to keep coax from moving around while installing, especially when you have the headliner down.

No, you won't have any issues with it. The coax is shielded already, and having a metalized tape against it won't cause you any issues, as long as the adhesive doesn't harm the coax jacket (unlikely).

Mattkuhar

I've never used aluminum ductwork tape, but I have used gaffers tape. It can be a good option to keep coax from moving around while installing, especially when you have the headliner down.

No, you won't have any issues with it. The coax is shielded already, and having a metalized tape against it won't cause you any issues, as long as the adhesive doesn't harm the coax jacket (unlikely).

That was my main want to use it, this time the headliner wasnt fully removed, but for the next 1-2 antennas it will have to be, and i wanted to tape to avoid hassle. Thanks for the advice :) I figured I was worrying for nothing lol

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's also useful if there's a bit of slack in the cable. Having the cable flopping around up there can cause some rattles. Having a coax cable rattling around over your head would get pretty tiring. You wouldn't want to attach the coax to other vehicle wiring, so having some way of keeping it in place is a good idea.

cmdrwill

I would not want to have to replace any NMO mounts in a vehicle that someone used duct tape to hold the coax to the underside of the roof..

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I would not want to have to replace any NMO mounts in a vehicle that someone used duct tape to hold the coax to the underside of the roof..

This. Don’t think I’ve ever had an issue with coax rattling in the headliner but I have had to replace a few NMO mounts.

OP, why does he headliner need to come down to do the mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattkuhar

This. Don’t think I’ve ever had an issue with coax rattling in the headliner but I have had to replace a few NMO mounts.

OP, why does he headliner need to come down to do the mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first truck ive owned thats new body style, so i didnt know where the roof support structure was located, so rather than put holes where id be unable to access, I did the smart thing and just took 20 minutes to drop the headliner

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had a 3/4 ton truck and it would occasionally rattle next to my right ear. Fixed it with a little strip of tape. Stiff suspension, bad roads.

I'm not talking about covering the whole length. Give it a hard pull the the little bit of tape gives way easily.

fdscan

Tesa tape makes a wider cloth-based tape meant for securing wires to flat panels, commonly used with stereo installs. Seems like it would be good for what you're looking to do.

Not sure on the model number off the top of my head but I believe it is white with a yellow backing paper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.