RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 8:01 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 2007 New Body Style Chevy Truck

Just mounted 2 of my 3-4 planned NMO mounts yesterday in the truck, and im curious. Has anybody ever had issues with using aluminum ductwork tape to hold to coax run to the roof? More specifically, will it cause any interference or am I just worrying over nothing?
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2018, 8:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've never used tape on any coax for NMO roof mounts..
Old 04-02-2018, 8:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not sure why the pics posted sideways, they are right side up on my PC lol
Old 04-02-2018, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattkuhar View Post
Just mounted 2 of my 3-4 planned NMO mounts yesterday in the truck, and im curious. Has anybody ever had issues with using aluminum ductwork tape to hold to coax run to the roof? More specifically, will it cause any interference or am I just worrying over nothing?
I've never used aluminum ductwork tape, but I have used gaffers tape. It can be a good option to keep coax from moving around while installing, especially when you have the headliner down.

No, you won't have any issues with it. The coax is shielded already, and having a metalized tape against it won't cause you any issues, as long as the adhesive doesn't harm the coax jacket (unlikely).
Old 04-02-2018, 8:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I've never used aluminum ductwork tape, but I have used gaffers tape. It can be a good option to keep coax from moving around while installing, especially when you have the headliner down.

No, you won't have any issues with it. The coax is shielded already, and having a metalized tape against it won't cause you any issues, as long as the adhesive doesn't harm the coax jacket (unlikely).

That was my main want to use it, this time the headliner wasnt fully removed, but for the next 1-2 antennas it will have to be, and i wanted to tape to avoid hassle. Thanks for the advice I figured I was worrying for nothing lol
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 AM

It's also useful if there's a bit of slack in the cable. Having the cable flopping around up there can cause some rattles. Having a coax cable rattling around over your head would get pretty tiring. You wouldn't want to attach the coax to other vehicle wiring, so having some way of keeping it in place is a good idea.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:49 AM

I would not want to have to replace any NMO mounts in a vehicle that someone used duct tape to hold the coax to the underside of the roof..
Old 04-02-2018, 3:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrwill View Post
I would not want to have to replace any NMO mounts in a vehicle that someone used duct tape to hold the coax to the underside of the roof..

This. Donít think Iíve ever had an issue with coax rattling in the headliner but I have had to replace a few NMO mounts.

OP, why does he headliner need to come down to do the mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2018, 5:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
This. Donít think Iíve ever had an issue with coax rattling in the headliner but I have had to replace a few NMO mounts.

OP, why does he headliner need to come down to do the mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the first truck ive owned thats new body style, so i didnt know where the roof support structure was located, so rather than put holes where id be unable to access, I did the smart thing and just took 20 minutes to drop the headliner
Old 04-02-2018, 5:59 PM

I had a 3/4 ton truck and it would occasionally rattle next to my right ear. Fixed it with a little strip of tape. Stiff suspension, bad roads.

I'm not talking about covering the whole length. Give it a hard pull the the little bit of tape gives way easily.
Old 04-07-2018, 1:59 PM

Tesa tape makes a wider cloth-based tape meant for securing wires to flat panels, commonly used with stereo installs. Seems like it would be good for what you're looking to do.

Not sure on the model number off the top of my head but I believe it is white with a yellow backing paper.

Last edited by rjk_165; 04-07-2018 at 2:08 PM..
Old 04-12-2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattkuhar View Post
Not sure why the pics posted sideways, they are right side up on my PC lol
Had the same issue with my pictures, but I found out that if you rotate them 360ļ, and resave them, they'll be upright, when you post them.