Where do I put the wire for auto antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a auto magnet too antenna , for my car . I have no idea where to run the thick wire from the roof too? Any ideas?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I can't understand what the problem is? Please be more specific as too much to assume to answer your question.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I purchased a auto magnet too antenna , for my car .

Magnetic mount antenna?

I have no idea where to run the thick wire from the roof too? Any ideas?

Well, as Kevin said, the radio.
But I guess you are asking what path to take to get it to the radio.
And that's the issue with magnetic mounts, you will need to route the coaxial cable into the vehicle interior somehow. That usually means through a window, which means you can't roll it up all the way without risking damaging the cable, or through a door, which means it risks getting pinched.
Either method is not ideal.
But, that's what you have to work with. So, door, window, or find another entry point for the cable.

Unless you wanted to drill a hole, in which case you'd be better off putting a permanent mount antenna on and not having to worry about cable damage.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You really need to learn to ask questions... What antenna do you have (brand, model). Why did you install it? To connect to a scanner?. Which scanner?

I recall you mentioning you have a Uniden BCD32P25 in another post. You don't say, but I'm assuming you got the antenna so you could improve reception while using this radio in your car.

You don't say, but I'm assuming that you're not sure how to connect the coaxial cable from the antenna to your radio.

The 'rubber-duck' antenna of the BCD32P25 uses a BNC connector. You need to remove the antenna and connect the mag mount coaxial cable to the BNC socket on the radio.

If the end of your coaxial cable has a connector other than BNC, then you'll need an adapter to make it fit. Or you can cut off the existing connector and install a proper BNC..

Cepheid

The easiest path I have found to run coax cable (and least noticable) from the roof of a vehicle to a dashboard mounted radio is through the trunk, under the carpet, (under the door sill) and up to the front of the vehicle.
Some vehicles have foam insulation around the trunk lip that keeps the coax from excessive wear at the spot where the trunk closes on the cable.

Ravenkeeper

The easiest path I have found to run coax cable (and least noticable) from the roof of a vehicle to a dashboard mounted radio is through the trunk, under the carpet, (under the door sill) and up to the front of the vehicle.
Some vehicles have foam insulation around the trunk lip that keeps the coax from excessive wear at the spot where the trunk closes on the cable.

AGREED!! I've ziptied the coax to the trunk lid arm, past the back seat, down/along the door kickplates, up to the dash, and over to the radio.

You really need to learn to ask questions... What antenna do you have (brand, model). Why did you install it? To connect to a scanner?. Which scanner?

I recall you mentioning you have a Uniden BCD32P25 in another post. You don't say, but I'm assuming you got the antenna so you could improve reception while using this radio in your car.

You don't say, but I'm assuming that you're not sure how to connect the coaxial cable from the antenna to your radio.

The 'rubber-duck' antenna of the BCD32P25 uses a BNC connector. You need to remove the antenna and connect the mag mount coaxial cable to the BNC socket on the radio.

If the end of your coaxial cable has a connector other than BNC, then you'll need an adapter to make it fit. Or you can cut off the existing connector and install a proper BNC..

I've used the stock AM/FM antenna, from the back of the stereo (via a "Y") to the scanner (RS PRO2026). I'm currently using this setup.

I got a magnetic antenna for the top of my car for my scanner, I don’t gave it with me so I don’t know the correct model or anything , but my question was where do I run the wire from the top of my roof to the inside of my car so I can hook it to my radio, sorry if it wasn’t clear , I know I’m suppose to run it to my radio and it does indeed come with a bnc connected already on the end of the cable, I just don’t know what path to run the wire .

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
I would just use the "B" pillar myself, then just seal around the coax where it enters into the "B" pillar with silicone sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.