• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Town and Country radio interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6CSW

Premium Subscriber
I have a question for everyone. I am looking to do a radio install on our secondary vehicle (2002 Town and Country), my plan is either a Yeasu Dual Bander or a Motorola CDM1250 in VHF. I have been using my HT in the van and I am receiving a ton of interference on 2m. My VHF Fire Band radios no issues, 800 Fire band radios no issues. However the 2m is absolutely terrible. Is this a "common" issue with Dodge/Chrysler or am I just lucky?

I thought it night have been the aftermarket radio I installed, however after turning it off and removing it from the dash completely I am still receiving interference. So where do I go from here. I do not have either of the mobiles set up yet so I am not able to just "see" if they will be alright or not.

I appreciate your input and suggestions.

73's
Dennis
KJ6CSW

bharvey2

A description of the interference (what it sounds like) would be helpful. A varying whining sound is likely alternator noise. A "ticking" sound whose rate increases and decreases with RPM changes is often a spark plug/spark plug wire noise. There could be other causes. One other test it to try it with ignition on and engine off. Is there a difference? One last one: with everything off but the 2M radio, get in the car put the key in the ignition and turn it on but don't start the engine. If there is a short burst of noise but it stops after a moment, that could be the electric fuel pump priming the fuel system. Once the engine is running, the noise would continue as the fuel pump will continue to run.

KJ6CSW

Premium Subscriber
bharvey,

I will have to listen closer to give you a better answer description. It doesn't seem to be a "ticking" sound. I will have a better answer here in a little while. I appreciate the help!

73's
Dennis
KJ6CSW

k9wkj

HT ? would it be a BF ?
mine go goofy in our T&C
my moto HTs and my Moto and Midland mobiles dont have any issue
i dont think the interfeence is even in band it think the BCM (body control module) emits rf that gets right into the BaoFeng and makes it useless

KJ6CSW

Premium Subscriber
k9wkj,

My dual band HT is my Yeasu FT-60. I have determined it also happens on my "baby" my VHF Motorola JT1000. I have programmed it both in HAM and in VHF High and I don't have issues while it is configured in VHF High. I do appreciate the help!

73's
Dennis
KJ6CSW

k9wkj

FT-60 shouldnt have a trouble
I wonder if you have a bad ground or missing shield on something
hope you find it
and make sure to let us know what you find/discover

KJ6CSW

Premium Subscriber
Partial update....

It seemed to be a whining hum, I know it may or may not make sense but right now its about the best I can do. I drove it home, parked it and not it won't start.... possibly the alternator....

Might have solved the issue all by itself. More to follow after I get the van running again.

73's
Dennis
KJ6CSW

RogueSteward

Do you still get interference just running off the battery and with the engine off? Does the whine increase with engine revs? Sounds to me like a standard grounding issue.

bharvey2

You may have found your problem. Certainly not the most ideal way however. Good luck getting your car problem resolved Are you going to DIY it?

bharvey2

Possibly a DIY project, not like I don't have an entire three day weekend to fix it!

Dennis
KJ6CSW

Yeah, but who wants to use up a perfectly good holiday on car repairs? I hope it's a quick and easy fix so you can get back to enjoying your weekend with family and friends. (Or at least your radios/toys!) BTW, are you a transplant? Your call sign region number matches my neck of the woods, not Indiana.

KJ6CSW

Premium Subscriber
Well everyone, after a LONG weekend and a couple extra "vacation" days to get things straightened out... it was determined the A/C was the root of my issues. It had seized up which in turn would not allow the serpentine belt to turn which prevented the engine from turning over... who knew. But the car now has new plugs, starter, fuel pump, and fuel filter. The alternator tested good along with the coil packs and battery... Costly but I probably will not have to replace any of those items on the van.

As for the noise issue, it continues the noise is not present when the vehicle is off (obviously), however when I turn the key on the noise starts and continues while the engine is on. It does not seem to be a ticking sound (spark plugs) so its possibly the fuel pump even though I replaced it... I will leave this up to the other more experienced HAMs!

73's
Dennis
KJ6CSW

A description of the interference (what it sounds like) would be helpful. A varying whining sound is likely alternator noise. A "ticking" sound whose rate increases and decreases with RPM changes is often a spark plug/spark plug wire noise. There could be other causes. One other test it to try it with ignition on and engine off. Is there a difference? One last one: with everything off but the 2M radio, get in the car put the key in the ignition and turn it on but don't start the engine. If there is a short burst of noise but it stops after a moment, that could be the electric fuel pump priming the fuel system. Once the engine is running, the noise would continue as the fuel pump will continue to run.

KJ6CSW

Premium Subscriber
bharvey,

Yes, I actually got "my ticket" while I was stationed in Los Angeles with the US Air Force. I was a member of the LA County DCS (Disaster Communications Service) while I was there. For those who are not familiar with them, they are a part of the LA County Sheriff's Department as civilian volunteer. We worked for the LA County Sheriffs EOB (Emergency Operations Bureau) and would handle communications during major emergencies through HAM radio. Each Sheriff's Station had a team and we had our own "radio room" tucked somewhere in the station. Mostly 2M however at Lomita we had 220, 70 CM, packet "capabilities" though I never saw us use it at the time. We also had a radio room at the EOC which was pretty nice. WE weren't on the main ops floor but we were just off of it. If you watched Volcano with Tommie Lee Jones that was the LA County Sheriff's EOC (not LA City like they claimed). Nothing like watching TV on a theater sized screen...

73's
Dennis
KJ6CSW

Yeah, but who wants to use up a perfectly good holiday on car repairs? I hope it's a quick and easy fix so you can get back to enjoying your weekend with family and friends. (Or at least your radios/toys!) BTW, are you a transplant? Your call sign region number matches my neck of the woods, not Indiana.

scanmanmi

With the car off and your radio on, squelch off, and turned up, turn the key to the on postion and listen for a buzz or whine for one or two seconds that then stops. That's the fuel pump starting and building up pressure and stopping. If you can hear that it may be the problem. Like I said you may have to try pulling fuses out.

Status
Not open for further replies.