RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 8:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Nissan Frontier / Xterra, 12V power for equipment

Has anyone done any type of radio or lighting installation in a recent Nissan Frontier or Xterra? I have a Frontier and I need to find a 12V source that's hot only when the ignition is on (or in the accessory position). Have looked around under the dash and found _one_ 4-contact socket, and none of the 4 contacts has what I need... I have the factory service manual but the schematics aren't very good and so far I haven't been able to track down what this connector is really for (presumably some accessory that my truck doesn't have.)

Free-of-charge complaint... I've noticed that auxiliary power connections are woefully lacking in most newer vehicles, unless they' have a police package with extra wiring. ggrrrrrrr...

Thanks...

Doug
Old 05-26-2018, 4:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up nissan frontier

I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier SV.

I mounted my Garmin Nuvi 2585 GPS on a RAM mount base and bought a Ram mount Nuvi model specific adapter for the Nuvi

I bolted it in the small package tray in the center of the dash.

I bought a "play series" single pod aftermarket 12V pod mount from Quicksilver Radio
HTTP//:www.qrsradio.com (SKU qs-1014).

I drilled a small hole in the base of the package tray and ran a wire pair down behind the dash,and connected it to the rear terminals of one of the two 12 V power connectors on the passenger side of the dashboard,

These power connectors go on and off with the ignition.

One caveat though, these on dash 12V connectors will not carry a lot of current.
Old 05-26-2018, 9:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I installed a Yaesu FTM400 Amateur Radio in my truck. I ran wires from the battery into the passenger compartment via the grommet for the clutch in the firewall. I have an automatic so the grommet was available for use.

Everything runs well and if you choose to go that route, Nissan recommends using the negative ground to the frame, and not the negative terminal on the battery. If you go the battery route, Nissan States it can damage the battery and some electronics inside the vehicle.

Can you post pictures of the ignition power source/auxiliary power terminals?