RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 9:17 PM

Default Need Ideas

I thought I would enlist the assistance of the group in something that I'm about to undertake. Just got a new vehicle then I had. 2015 Ford Police Utility. I'm going to be mounting several radios but used to doing my mounting in a sedan. Any ideas on how to create an enclosure for mounting radio equipment that is disguiseable of anyone looking into the vehicle. Also, has to be able to be moved in case I need to get to the spare tire.

I've seen already constructed enclosures and they cost a pretty penny. Have seen pictures of what some of the groups has done. So, any pictures would be helpful in coming up with a design.

Time frame to get this done is open, want to do it right, so any assistance would be deeply appriciated.
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetaz834 View Post
I thought I would enlist the assistance of the group in something that I'm about to undertake. Just got a new vehicle then I had. 2015 Ford Police Utility. I'm going to be mounting several radios but used to doing my mounting in a sedan. Any ideas on how to create an enclosure for mounting radio equipment that is disguiseable of anyone looking into the vehicle. Also, has to be able to be moved in case I need to get to the spare tire.

I've seen already constructed enclosures and they cost a pretty penny. Have seen pictures of what some of the groups has done. So, any pictures would be helpful in coming up with a design.

Time frame to get this done is open, want to do it right, so any assistance would be deeply appriciated.

The antennas will betray what’s inside the car. Not much point in hiding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 10:36 PM

Are you looking to hide the radio RF decks or everything including the control head(s)?
Old 06-05-2018, 1:00 PM

I may have misspoke myself when I said I wanted to hide it from prying eyes. My windows are tinted so others won't be able to see much. I'm looking for an ideas for an enclosure for the RF decks to make the interior look more uncluttered (also to protect them from accidental damage when I put things in the back.

Not worried about hiding the control heads of the radio equipment.

Just looking to come up with some ideas for a nice enclosure fro the RF decks.
Old 06-05-2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
I may have misspoke myself when I said I wanted to hide it from prying eyes. My windows are tinted so others won't be able to see much. I'm looking for an ideas for an enclosure for the RF decks to make the interior look more uncluttered (also to protect them from accidental damage when I put things in the back.

Not worried about hiding the control heads of the radio equipment.

Just looking to come up with some ideas for a nice enclosure fro the RF decks.

Mount them under the rear deck, in the trunk.

Old 06-05-2018, 4:50 PM

Try under the rear seats, there is some real estate for radio decks, etc.

Now, you may have tried tugging and pulling to fold the seats forward without success. That is because on the police interceptor explorer the rear seats are bolted down and not designed to fold.

You'll need a 21mm (I think) and an extension (use 1/2 drive if you have it) and remove the 4 crown lock nuts that hold the seat "foot" down to the floor. They are under the cargo flap. Then remove the 2 15mm bolts on the sides of the seat. Lift up the side bottom skirting and you will see them.

After that the seats will hinge forward exposing the floor. If you play around with the decks you can fit a fair amount of equipment in that general area. Just be careful about drilling the floor, the gas tank is directly underneath! Once everything is said and done, fold the seats back, bolt it down, and nobody will see a thing, and no external boxes taking up cargo room!
Old 06-05-2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
Try under the rear seats, there is some real estate for radio decks, etc.

Now, you may have tried tugging and pulling to fold the seats forward without success. That is because on the police interceptor explorer the rear seats are bolted down and not designed to fold.

You'll need a 21mm (I think) and an extension (use 1/2 drive if you have it) and remove the 4 crown lock nuts that hold the seat "foot" down to the floor. They are under the cargo flap. Then remove the 2 15mm bolts on the sides of the seat. Lift up the side bottom skirting and you will see them.

After that the seats will hinge forward exposing the floor. If you play around with the decks you can fit a fair amount of equipment in that general area. Just be careful about drilling the floor, the gas tank is directly underneath! Once everything is said and done, fold the seats back, bolt it down, and nobody will see a thing, and no external boxes taking up cargo room!
I had not thought about that, I will take a look and see if that is a possibility for what I want to do.
Old 06-05-2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
I had not thought about that, I will take a look and see if that is a possibility for what I want to do.

What do you want to install in the vehicle?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 AM

I'm planning on installing a Motorola XTL5000 VHF, Motorola XPR550e DMR mobile, and a very rare Motorola remote mount CB radio. I may have other equipment to go along with it, but that is the beginning equipment that is going into the vehicle.