RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2018, 2:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Best Ignition sense connection 2013 Fusion Hybrid

Hi. I'm getting ready to add another radio to my collection. (I already have installed two Yaesu FT-8800s, and "Converta Coms" for Motorola a MX-350s, an Astro Saber III and a B-K portable.) Neither the Yaesus nor the B/K care about ignition sense. So I just turn them off when I get out of the car.

However, Motorolas have that wire (and the 110w Astro Spectra coming has a line for TX ignition sense also). For the low-power MX350 and ASVA, I've just pulled the 12V from a switched cigarette lighter, fused at 5A. (My Fusion, for some reason, has one switched and one un-switched cigarette lighter jack.)

So...my question is: Where's a good place to grab switched 12-volt? Something more elegant (and more robust) than a cigarette lighter jack. Is there a wiring harness I can butt splice into?

Thanks for any help.

Arthur
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2018, 2:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

2013 Ford Fusion Fuse Block

Cars & Fuses: 2013 Ford Fusion - Fuses
Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 AM

I did a quick search over on the Ford Fleet upfitter page, but no luck on 2013 Fusions.

What I've done on some vehicles is to find a powered option that the vehicle does NOT have. We had a few Chevy Colorado's a work and needed to install radios in them. Power feed always goes to the battery, but I still needed an ignition switched circuit for the radios. I don't like tapping into existing wiring if I don't have to.
What I did was use the sun roof circuit. Since these were work trucks, they didn't have that option. The sun roof power wire was taped off in the A pillar. I tracked it down with the help of a wiring schematic. I extended that wire (it was simply taped off to the wiring harness) down to the radios. I put a 3 amp fuse in the "sun roof" slot in the fuse panel.
That was 11 years ago, no issues.
Old 08-17-2018, 1:59 AM

[QUOTE=KD4CSO;2982413]Hi. I'm getting ready to add another radio to my collection. (I already have installed two Yaesu FT-8800s, and "Converta Coms" for Motorola a MX-350s, an Astro Saber III and a B-K portable.) Neither the Yaesus nor the B/K care about ignition sense. So I just turn them off when I get out of the car.

However, Motorolas have that wire (and the 110w Astro Spectra coming has a line for TX ignition sense also). For the low-power MX350 and ASVA, I've just pulled the 12V from a switched cigarette lighter, fused at 5A. (My Fusion, for some reason, has one switched and one un-switched cigarette lighter jack.)

So...my question is: Where's a good place to grab switched 12-volt? Something more elegant (and more robust) than a cigarette lighter jack. Is there a wiring harness I can butt splice into?

Thanks for any help.

Butt splice...? Please no. Solder and Super 33+ or solder and heat shrink . Never those scotch locks. Terrible connections. .