RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Radio Equipment Installation Forum

Radio Equipment Installation Forum - Forum for discussing how to install radio communications equipment in Mobile, Base, Command Post, EOC, etc configurations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2018, 3:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Quick removeable anti-theft slide mount?

Anyone using any type of quick removable anti-theft slide mount for their scanners like what was so popular with CB'ers back in the 70's? I remember the biggest drawback was the antenna connection, due to being a transmitter and poor SWR, less of a concern with scanners.

I live in what I consider to be an up scale area that some might think would have a low crime rate, but criminals are getting smarter these days and doing their dirty work where the payoffs are greater. Smash and grabs from vehicles left outside at night are ripe for the picking and your gear is not safe if in full view during daylight hours. When I look at some of these elaborate vehicle installations, I'd be interested as to how you are immune to theft?
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2018, 5:58 PM

It would be close to 15 years since I have had a scanner installed in my car, these days I use a handheld which I take in and out as I need to. The risk of keeping anything expensive in a car these days is too high.
Old 08-29-2018, 7:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There were a number of quick disconnect brackets sold decades ago Gamber Johnson was one. They were very clunky even when attached to a 1980's vintage radio like a Maxar 80.

For a radio like the BC536HP that is DIN sized, you might find a DIN quick release mount that you can install in your dash.

Better yet, devise some sort of hideaway door or cover so that a thief will not see the radio from outside the vehicle in the first place.

The best protection is not to draw attention to your car when parking. If you are seen putting stuff under the seat or in the trunk when you park, you will be a target.

The antenna is another issue. Try to replicate a broadcast antenna or shark fin that are common today. Or put the antenna in the parcel shelf at the rear window and cover with a hat.
Old 08-30-2018, 4:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_lonny View Post
It would be close to 15 years since I have had a scanner installed in my car, these days I use a handheld which I take in and out as I need to. The risk of keeping anything expensive in a car these days is too high.
This is likely the best way to go, unless you had one of the removable-front Whistlers. That may be in the future for me but for now I just use HH scanners in a deep phone holder that grips them well. Unplug and toss in the glove compartment when I'm parking somewhere, carry it inside when I get home. I don't worry about the antenna. If they can't see a radio in there they would (hopefully) be less likely to break in, and if they're looking for other stuff and the radio would just be a bonus for the thugs, they'd likely break in whether you had an obvious aftermarket antenna or not.