• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Already have the scanner/ham antennas in - now need antenna install suggestions 4 CB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for suggestions that DO NOT require holes drilled into my 2005 Dodge Ram...

All my amatuer gear's antennas are mounted using a Diamond K400 NMO mount on the "lip" of the bed... I could do that with an Antenex or Larsen NMO antenna, but I really don't want to spend $70 on another one of those mounts!

I have thought about using a bumper stand-off mount (not sure what they are really called - a photo of one is attached! - but the hole for the existing bolt would require me to bend the mount to make the antenna sit level. It's on a slope that would make the antenna be angled towards the cab of the truck, or if turned towards the side of the truck, would make it angled towards the opposite side of the truck.

I have also thought about a magnet mount - I am running bone-stock power but don't want an obnoxiously tall antenna (Wilson 500/1000) protruding from the roof of an already tall vehicle! How BAD would it be placing the magnet down into the bed of the truck right behind the cab? Personally, I like Wilson antennas, but unless this particular idea is going to work, forget it - not worth spending that much money!

A stake-hole mount will not work because there is no access to the underside of the stake hole - unless I try to imitate stretch armstrong and can reach that high while laying under the truck!

The bottom line is - NO HOLES can be drilled - forget about it - don't ask - don't suggest it - I won't want to hear anything of the likes! Oh yes - and forget about the whole idea of through-the-glass! I might as well bend up a coat hanger and stick it in bacl of the radio!

Guys, I'm counting on ya here!

Attachments

• k-124a.jpg
    k-124a.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 3,788
Last edited:

SLWilson

Dodge

They make a pre-bent flat stock that bolts on to a fender bolt. Actually, you take the bolt out, put the bracket on, and the mount sticks our from the hood/fender ledge and allows your standard NMO mount to fit the predrilled mounting hole. I had one on each side of my Durango. A slightly different model fits the full-size Dodge trucks. http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/dgantmt.pdf ...Steve/KB8FAR

Last edited:

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I've seen that setup before - I appreciate the input, but I'm not really fond of the thought of having an antenna right here within my field of view while I am driving....

Ok I have to ask - is that being overly picky? Please let me know :)

SLWilson

Antennas.....

No, you're NOT being bad about it.....But, it ISN'T as bad as you think. I have one on each side of my 2004 Tahoe. Unless you get some AWFUL antenna, it is barely visible.....See below. One of those shown (the largest) is a standard 1/4 wave VHF-Hi band antennat...The other is a Diamond 2M/440Mhz for my ham rig. Granted, on the Chevy, you DO have to drill holes for the mount, but, NOT with the Dodge mount. You might get one & put your antenna on the passenger side....Steve/KB8FAR

Last edited:

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
FireStik makes those I believe....

I need to find one with a 3/8" threaded socket, as those antennas are very common and fairly inexpensive ... I was thinking one of those helical wound antennas... Maybe a 4 foot model?

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I just had a thought - tell me what you think!

A Wilson 1000 trunk lip mount antenna - but since there is no trunk, do it on the lip of the rear bumper? I guess the only thing that could get in the way there would be getting to the hex screws to clamp them down...

SLWilson

Ok...

OK. I don't think that anything I've seen will do what you want. However, I had a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix. Put a mag mount on it for a scanner from day one. Kept it CLEAN and DRY underneath, but, after a coulpe of years, the trunk deck started to rust. BAD. So, I've been away from that option since the mid 90's....Sorry I couldn't help. Steve

SLWilson

Lip Mount...

JWhipple said:
I just had a thought - tell me what you think!

A Wilson 1000 trunk lip mount antenna - but since there is no trunk, do it on the lip of the rear bumper? I guess the only thing that could get in the way there would be getting to the hex screws to clamp them down...
I didn't like how it looked, but, I saw a guy post a picture here of (Ithink it was a Dodge) where he used a lip mount on the top edge of the door (back half door) that worked for him.....Steve

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
That would actually have been my install that had them on the back doors... I have since moved them - using the same mounts - to the "lip" of the bed.. Here's how it looks now... I could pick up another one of these mounts and either adapt it to 3/8" threaded, or get an NMO CB antenna, but overall the cost would be in excess of $100!

Attachments

• Antennas Moved - Driver View.jpg
    Antennas Moved - Driver View.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 19,724
  • Antennas Moved - Back View.jpg
    Antennas Moved - Back View.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 7,527
  • Antennas Moved - Passenger View.jpg
    Antennas Moved - Passenger View.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 36,359

kyguy

antenna mount

you might want to check out www.walcottcb.com click on ; pickup/suv antenna mounts.
check out ss194 (A). I use the ss294a + have real good luck with it. Also I have never had a problem with them (walcottcb )((+ no I am not connected to them in any way, just a happy customer)):cool:

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, can't do that type of mount on my Dodge... In order to install those, you must have open access to the underside of the stake mount hole - on the Dodge, the only way to get through to the underside is to grow arms about 5 feet long, and reach up to the top of the bed while laying under the truck...

kyguy said:
you might want to check out www.walcottcb.com click on ; pickup/suv antenna mounts.
check out ss194 (A). I use the ss294a + have real good luck with it. Also I have never had a problem with them (walcottcb )((+ no I am not connected to them in any way, just a happy customer)):cool:

kyguy

the ss194 + ss194a do not require access to the underside, it is mounted from the topside!

jhooten

On glass in the upper pass side of the windshield. Should be good for a couple hundred feet or so, but wol't make any holes in the truck and can be removed without leaving any evidence.

N4JNW

Glass mount.... might not have the range you want, but it's not easily seen, can be removed with a razor blade and alcohol..

I used to have a glass mount antenna on an old truck of mine and talked around town good..

specman

So let's narrow this down (for your CB antenna):

- no antennas anywhere on front of vehicle
- no antenna's on roof
- no holes
- no stake-hole mounts
- no glass-mounts
- no mag-mounts

Seems to me you've almost answered your own question; what you're doing now with your other antennas looks like your best option. Only other option is something on your rear bumper or hitch mount arrangement; keep in mind your tail gate though. Sometimes you just gotta spend the cash... :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
JWhipple said:
That would actually have been my install that had them on the back doors... I have since moved them - using the same mounts - to the "lip" of the bed.. Here's how it looks now... I could pick up another one of these mounts and either adapt it to 3/8" threaded, or get an NMO CB antenna, but overall the cost would be in excess of $100!
Those look nice on that truck.....Nice Job.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
Ok guys... I broke down... dammit! LOL

I bought a Wilson 1000 mag mount and put it on the roof. I then tried something I had seen on a truck on the highway...

I removed the top 3rd brake light by removing 2 screws. Sure enough, there is a hole in there which allows easy access into the cab - in fact, the ceiling liner is right there inside the hole...

I fed the cable into the cab right by the opening at the ceiling liner and ran it in that way.

The cable actually lies over the top of the brake light, bisecting it right down the middle. It then comes back up inside behind the light from the bottom. This creates a drip-loop.

Also - the best part about this is that there is a foam weather strip around the entire brake-light fixture, which nicely molded around the coaxial cable.

Since I put the antenna at the back ledge of the cab, it has a slightly rearward cant to it - so - to make things look a little better, I adjusted the other antennas to have the same angle.... Actually looks pretty cool that way! I've noticed no reduction in performance either..

I'll try to get a picture posted tonight.

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
JWhipple said:
Wilson 1000 mag mount
You'll be very happy with the Wilson. Best mobile antenna going in my opinion. I run one with a Galaxy 95T2 and a Magna Force 600 with no problems. can you say "reach out and touch someone" . :D

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I used to run one with a Voyage VR-9000 and Palomar Skipper 450 and before that a Magnum 357 (yes, 357 - the one with the 150 watt amp) on my Chrysler Sebring ... They do indeed work VERY well.. Just wanted to try and stick with the NMO type antennas since everything else on my truck is that type. Overall the Wilson ended up being cheaper than buying an 11 meter NMO style antenna and another Diamond K400 mount.. In fact, the antenna w/ mag mount cost the same as the Diamond K400!

Status
Not open for further replies.