• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need advice on easy way to install/remove mobile scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverine

I want to install a RadioShack Pro-2096 inside the dashboard area (the open area under the car radio) of my 2005 Hyundai Elantra but the problem I'm having is trying to figure out a way to install it in the dash of my car (just like how my factory radio is installed) and be able to easly remove the scanner from the inside of the dash when I drive into the state of Kentucky which does not allow me to use a scanner in my vehicle. I'm looking for way to remove the scanner and place it back inside the dash that is easy and quick.

Can anyone give me any advice that can be usefull to what I want to do?. Thanks.

Last edited:

scansomd

Obtain your amateur radio license. That will give you permission to have your scanner installed in your vehicle when you travel through Kentucky.

Check with your local amateur radio club for assistance in obtaining your license. If you can’t locate a local club, feel free to PM me and I will point you in the right direction.

wolverine said:
I want to install a RadioShack Pro-2096 inside the dashboard area (the open area under the car radio) of my 2005 Hyundai Elantra but the problem I'm having is trying to figure out a way to install it in the dash of my car (just like how my factory radio is installed) and be able to easly remove the scanner from the inside of the dash when I drive into the state of Kentucky which does not allow me to use a scanner in my vehicle. I'm looking for way to remove the scanner and place it back inside the dash that is easy and quick.

Can anyone give me any advice that can be usefull to what I want to do?. Thanks.

kc8qch

For the License Part, The OH-KY-IN Amatuer Radio Club provides Classes on a fairly regular basis here. You can get information about them at http://www.ohkyin.org. Exams are on a monthyl basis around here and information about that those can be found on my website, http://www.kc8qch.com (Click on the cincinnati Radio Link).

If that is not a route you wish to persue, there used to be made (and I don;t know if they do anymore) the old slide mounts that you could put on a radio and Slide it out and in and not have to worry about connections and stuff.. I know they were around during the 70's when CB was the big thing. I haven;t seen them for a while. Other then a major modification to the dash, I can't think of an easy way to pull it. Other then useing a Hand held.

kf4lne

I love the amount of encouragement on this board for other members to get their ticket, but getting it just to have a scanner is a waste of a good callsign. As for an easy way to install the scanner for easy removal...look into a pair of drawer rails or something similar that will allow the radio to be pulled out like a desk drawer. It may take some work and you may have to completely take the dash apart but this should allow you to easily remove the radio. An alternative would be to install the radio and put a removable cover over the radio so you could just simply cover it up. In the unlikeley event you were to get stopped by the cops the scanner would be covered up (and hopefully turned off) and nobody would be able to see it. Another alternative would be to install the radio inside an existing lidded compartment like in the armrest compartment or somewhere like that. As for getting the ham ticket just to have a scanner in the car, thats a waste of a good callsign. Get the ham ticket if you are intrested in amateur radio and actually want to play radio with the rest of us hams, not just to have a scanner in your car in states where non-hams aren't allowed to. BTW, I frequently drive in KY with my scanner and have never had a problem, I have also drive in VA several times a week with my radar detector proudly displayed and have never had a problem. Basically, don't give the cops a reason to be looking at the inside of your car and you will generally be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.