• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Jeep Liberty shows you where to drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
As I proceed with installation of a Alinco DR635T in my Jeep Liberty, I was pleased to find that Jeep has provided markings showing where it is "safe" to drill through the firewall into the engine compartment. I needed to run DC power directly to the battery, and looking under the dash at the firewall, I found bright yellow hole plugs on the sound insulation. They were open in the center, and you could see through to the firewall metal. Two under the steering wheel, and one on the passenger side. Estimating where the holes would come through on the engine side, it apppeared to be a clear, unobstructed spot behind each yellow hole guide. I chose the one on the passenger side, and it was perfect! A nice, reachable location away from other holes and objects on the engine side. So I was able to complete the power wiring today before it got too dark to continue.

Next steps: Mounting remote head, then drilling the roof for the NMO antenna mount.

Happy New Year!

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Wow that's a good idea. Too bad they didn't already have the hole drilled and all you would have had to have done was remove a rubber plug and put in a grommet.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Those might actually be to hold the insulation in place, not to mark where it's safe to drill. Nice that it worked out that way, though.

Gary

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Gary- At first that's what I thought, too (holding insulation together). But all three of the yellow "hole marker" grommets were located where there was no other insulation between the material holding the grommet and the firewall metal. They had about a 3/8" hole in the center of the plastic grommet, and the one I put the drill bit through actually caught on the bit while I was drilling. So I pulled it out and it did not look like any type of fastener... just a grommet with nothing in it.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
My '03 silverado had a similar invitation. A nice easy to get to round flat spot on the firewall with the insulation removed on both sides made an easy time of running power cables through mine. Now on the otherhand, the ford I installed one in last week......

N

N_Jay

Those are often for either accessories not on your vehicle or for "right Hand Drive" models.

Status
Not open for further replies.