• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2000 Durango antenna mount options

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceB

I have a 2000 Durango and would like to explore all my antenna mount options before buying. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Nothing says loving like drilling holes and putting in NMO mount antennas. That durango has plenty of acreage for several. Pull the headliner down to see where your support members are so you can avoid drilling there.

vmishg80

Bruce -

Piece of cake, my friend... Here's my year 2000 Durango. Antenex Phantom (800Mhz) NMO drilled in the roof same location as the ceiling light in the rear seat - pleanty of real estate there).

My VHF is on an Antenex trunk lip mount & there's also a Dodge Ram hood mount used for my heavier antenna's (fits the Durango like a glove) which utilizes the fender bolt already there. Cables route through a grommet in the firewall real close by.

No pic's of the radios inside as I'm in a state of remounting stuff as I picked up the BC-RH96 and redoing some power.

Pete

Attachments

• DSC00135.JPG
    DSC00135.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 4,621
  • DSC00136.JPG
    DSC00136.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,659

mtamburro

Premium Subscriber
Does the lip mount on the hood obstruct your view or get in the way at all? I'm considering placing one in that exact spot.

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
Multiple Antennas question.....

vmishg80 said:
Bruce -

Piece of cake, my friend... Here's my year 2000 Durango. Antenex Phantom (800Mhz) NMO drilled in the roof same location as the ceiling light in the rear seat - pleanty of real estate there).

My VHF is on an Antenex trunk lip mount & there's also a Dodge Ram hood mount used for my heavier antenna's (fits the Durango like a glove) which utilizes the fender bolt already there. Cables route through a grommet in the firewall real close by.

No pic's of the radios inside as I'm in a state of remounting stuff as I picked up the BC-RH96 and redoing some power.

Pete

Pete,

Nice setup! How do you like the 800mhz Antenex Phantom? Do you use it for transmitting as well as receiving? Also I take it that VHF/UHF is via a seperate antenna you mentioned above. Do all antennas go to one radio? If so are you using some sort of antenna coupler and what brand is it?

I'm planning on seperating my VHF/UHF from 800 mhz....so it'll be a total of 2 antennas for me, but I don't quite know how I'm going to feed two cables into a 996T.

vmishg80

Not in my line of sight at all. I was wondering that when I first ordered it but it's over far enough that it's out of view. One thing if you do put a trunk lip mount there, it's fairly thin sheet metal so don't crank the screws down or it will show a little bump on the hood if you ever remove it. I had the misfortune of doing this but it's so small that I think I'm the only one that would notice. It's going on 7 years old so there are other little dings & scratches so it's not that big of deal.

The VHF antenna is tuned to the 154mhz range for a Kenwood TK705-D business radio. I drive from Minneapolis (Almost all Digital now) to rural Wisconsin very frequently and just for fun one time I threw an SP1300 slpitter (available from Scannermaster) and fed the Phantom (strictly 800Mhz scanning) & the VHF into my Pro-2096. All the Digital was clear as a bell then when I hit WI, I switched the active bank to all the VHF stuff and it was perfect. So I guess 2 antennas into 1 radio worked for me. Although not tuned for AIR, the VHF antenna picks up all the GA & commercial really well. Even all the rural MULTICOM and UNICOM.

I'm working on mounting a BC-RH96 today and hope to have it figured out.

Where have you guys mounted radios in your Durangos ?? Upload some Photos please. Also, anyone have ideas where to mount the amplified Radio Shack remote speaker ?

Pete

BruceB

Pete,
I really like the idea of the trunk lip mount on the hood, and I think seeing that I'm only going to mount one antenna for now, that's going to be the winner. I have an external speaker mounted with velcro on the center of the dash, down by the defroster vents. The wire is run along the dash, down and around underneath. Another thought that I had was to mount the speaker up by the rear a/c, above and behind your head, and run the wire under the headliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.