Pro-96 CPU upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8gni

Has anybody sent their Pro-96 in for the CPU upgrade in the past few months and gotten it back yet? I took mine to the local RS and they said they could only send it to Amherst, NY. This was sent out 7 weeks ago and still hasn't returned? The local RS says parts are out of stock and need to be ordered. How long should this take, or should I say how long should I wait until I become a pest? 2 months seems like a long time, especially with no end in sight!

ShawnCowden

they should be trained and able to start doing them at local rat shacks insted of us sending them off all da time which is a pain in the a**

I hope u do get ur scanner back because thats alot of money to mess with. If radioshack didnt fix the problem and find my scanner a Id prob. find a way to sue radioshack if they lost my scanner for the price of the scanner plus the price of the cpu upgrade if they charged.

Some people at radioshack dont know a thing what their doing.

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
Upgrade

I took my Pro 96 to my local Radio Shack store about 2 weeks ago and had them ship it to the Fort Worth location which was previously listed as the correct location to send it. I'll let you know how my saga turns out when I hear something.

Jim, NS3K

hulka

ShawnCowden said:
they should be trained and able to start doing them at local rat shacks insted of us sending them off all da time which is a pain in the a**

That is why they do not do it at the stores!

n4voxgill

Silent Key
ShawnCowden said:

Let me get this straight, you want people that don't know anything to work on your scanner...

Not me!

n8gni

Re: Upgrade

JimNS3K said:
I took my Pro 96 to my local Radio Shack store about 2 weeks ago and had them ship it to the Fort Worth location which was previously listed as the correct location to send it. I'll let you know how my saga turns out when I hear something.

Jim, NS3K

I wanted them to ship it to the Fort Worth location but they claimed their computer would only let them send it to NY? I was hoping that it got forwarded to TX. and wondering if anybody else waited more then a month to get it back?
Jim, please let me know when you get yours back, hopfully you won't wait as long!
Harry

TheKip

Re: Upgrade

n8gni said:
I wanted them to ship it to the Fort Worth location but they claimed their computer would only let them send it to NY?
The center may be listed in their computer as "Radar Detectors Only." Being labeled as such doesn't force them to only use it for that, but it may confuse them. Most scanner issues will be handled by their default center, but DSP upgrades should only go to service center 40-0804.

We got memos on 6/28/04 and 7/20/04 reassigning our service center locations. If it's not in their system, ask them to use the "news" search on their store's homepage to search for "service center updates." This will tell them how to add the proper service center entry if it's not listed. This memo also tells them to send all general repairs to their default center, so you may have to persuade them to think outside the box.

Of course, there may be different assignments outside of my region so don't just ass-u-me that they're clueless. But since 40-0804 is the only repair center that can do the DSP upgrade directly rather than trans-shipping to a different location, it probably should be in everyone's system just for that.

pocho

I got my PRO-96 from Ebay a few weeks ago. The CPU version is 1.1. Will I still be able to send it in for the upgrade, even though I didn't purchase it directly from RadioShack? I think a reciept is needed. Is it even worth the hassle to send it in to be upgraded? thx. :wink:

Voyager

pocho said:
I got my PRO-96 from Ebay a few weeks ago. The CPU version is 1.1. Will I still be able to send it in for the upgrade, even though I didn't purchase it directly from RadioShack? I think a reciept is needed. Is it even worth the hassle to send it in to be upgraded? thx. :wink:

As CPU 1.2 came out over a year ago, I doubt your scanner is still under warranty (and it likely has an 08A03 date code - production 8/03 to 1/04). But yes, they would need an original bill of sale to determine the date the warranty started.

As to whether it's worth the hastle, that sound like 'my que'...
(I've only posted this a few dozen times on various boards/lists)

V1.1 is the original version. (Released with scanner 8/03)
V1.2 fixes the TG lockout (above CH 4-08 ) bug. (Released 1/04)
V1.3 fixes the 48xxx TG reception problem. (Released 6/04)
(47872, 47888, 47904, 47920, 47936, 47952, 47968, 47984,
48000, 48016, 48032, 48048, 48064, 48080, 48096, 48112)

Note that the 48xxx TG problem only affects ANALOG TGs, not digital.

That said, there seems to be a number of systems potentially affected.
There is a list here:
<
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=70005
>

Whether it is necessary to upgrade depends on whether you want to listen
to any of the affected TGs. Bug #1 is easily worked around (fill up TG
bank 4 first). If there are no TGs you want to listen to, odds are there
never will be. I decided it was better off for me to not lose my scanner
for 6 weeks for an upgrade I really didn't need - even though I do
travel to an area with an affected system. There aren't any TGs I can
live without as much as losing my 96 for 6 weeks (That's how long it was
running when I was still under warranty). It may be down to 2 weeks now
if you are really lucky, but I still prefer to not lose 2 weeks worth of
use over an upgrade I may never use.

The upgrade is free as long as your unit is under warranty, and is $45
if it is not still under warranty. If you have to have the upgrade, but
can wait, you may be better off waiting until the end of your 1-year
warranty period just in case they come out with V1.4.

Joe M.

MarcM

pro96 cpu upgrade

I sent mine in on 2-10-05 and got it back on 2-18-05. I was really surprised (happily) at the quick turn around
Marc

n8gni

Re: pro96 cpu upgrade

MarcM said:
I sent mine in on 2-10-05 and got it back on 2-18-05. I was really surprised (happily) at the quick turn around
Marc

I sent mine in Jan 12th and I still don't have it back? I really think they have lost it! :(

Dubbin

Feed Provider

n8gni said:
I sent mine in Jan 12th and I still don't have it back? I really think they have lost it! :(

Have you called them yet like I suggested?

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
Pro 96 upgrade

I received a call this morning from my local Radio Shack that my upgraded Pro 96 is available for me to pick up. So it took around 2 weeks.

Jim, NS3K

n8gni

Dubbin said:
n8gni said:

I called the NY center where it first was sent and they told me they can't give out any information and that I should call the RS that I dropped it off at. I didn't call Fort Worth because I was unable to get a number for that center!
Harry

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
Pro 96 upgrade

Since I got my upgraded Pro 96 back it seems more sensitive to me. I am hearing more stuff that I did not pickup before with the scanner in the same location, same antenna. Anybody else notice this?

Jim, NS3K

n8gni

Dubbin said:
n8gni said:

UPDATE
I emailed customer service and they called the store. The manager told them that the

"scanner was returned from the service center last
week unrepaired because parts were no longer available"
"He said they are currently attempting to
order a replacement scanner from the warehouse."

So it looks like something got broke that can't be replaced or they no longer have the new CPU's? I think they still have access to the new CPU's as three people have said they have sent their scanners in after mine was sent in and they have been returned in working order!
Hopefully I didn't make the store manager mad, but I didn't know that
the radio had already been returned to them.

I don't know how long it would take to get a replacement, but I do hope it's new and not a referb.

feta92

What is the CPU upgrade for?? If its to fix the CQPSK problem you can download a patch off RS website. But correct me if I am wrong!

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Hopefully I didn't make the store manager mad, but I didn't know that
the radio had already been returned to them.
Who cares if you make him mad or not. He got your scanner back a week ago without any work done to it and never contacted you. My guess is that he has had it for a few weeks playing with it at home and plans on keeping it. Why else would they be giving you a new radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.