PRO-2096 Firmware - Use 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallman59

Premium Subscriber
My new 2096 came with 1.2 installed. The RS site shows 1.3 and 1.4 upgrades available. (Actually 2 listed for 1.3. ???) There is no description given for the upgrade(s) as to what they add/fix. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to upgrading to a later version? Or, should I follow my old engineering professor's sage advice, "Don't f**k with success".

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If it works don't fix it. DSP v 1.3 was developed to fix a unique issue in Ohio, and Michigan. It wasn't quite right, then v 1.4 was brought out to correct 1.3. Last time I played with a PRO-2096 in S.E. Michigan I found v 1.2 still worked the best.

SCPD

QRT
firmware??.. do you mean DSP or CPU? , latest DSP is 1.4 & is user upgradeable, CPU is 1.5 & is NOT user upgradeable.
Paul
P.S> if they should disappear from RS site PM me here I have all 3 dsp upgrades on my HD & will send to whoever may want/ need em

Mark01

Last time I played with a PRO-2096 in S.E. Michigan I found v 1.2 still worked the best.
I think you hit the nail on the head as being correct.On the MPSCS v1.2 seems to work the best.There is the occasional short braaaap motorboating type sound on digital transmissions but nowhere near as bad as v 1.3 or v 1.4

You can load all versions of the firmware and determine wich works the best.If you want to revert to v 1.2 on the 2096 it's as simple as a few button presses.

Sinister

Premium Subscriber
From the Wiki
DSP APP Firmware Version U1.4 provides the following enhancement to your PRO-96/2096 Digital Trunking Scanner:

Improved digital decoding:
After upgrading to DSP Application firmware version 1.3 (DSP-APP 1.3), some users reported increased instances of the scanner failing to decode the beginning of digital transmissions on certain systems. DSP-APP 1.4 improves the performance of initial digital voice decoding and should result in fewer instances of undecoded digital noise at the beginning of transmissions. Under certain circumstances, such as when weak or distorted signals are present, the scanner may occasionally fail to decode the beginning of a digital transmission even after upgrading to DSP-APP 1.4.

If a radio consistently fails to reliably decode digital transmissions, users are advised to reposition the radio, utilize antennas designed for the specific band being monitored, such as the Radio Shack 20-283 800 MHz BNC antenna, or take other steps to improve the quality of the received signals.

cmdcomm

Feed Provider
DPS Upgrade problem

I can not get my 2096 or Pro-96 to go into firmware mode. I push and hold the prog button with the cable plugged in but it just goes to clone. Any ideas???

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I can not get my 2096 or Pro-96 to go into firmware mode. I push and hold the prog button with the cable plugged in but it just goes to clone. Any ideas???
Follow the steps in the pdf for upgrade. Then follow instructions on the upgrade.exe.

cmdcomm

Feed Provider
pdf?

I down loaded the 1.4 dsp from the RS website. It has 2 wordpad files, but no pdf file. I can not get the scanner to go into dsp program mode by holding down the "prog" button with the cable plugged in and turning it out.. Can someone send me the instructions or point me to the right place? I know the cable is working bc I can program the scanner.. HELP??? trying to get a new 800mhz p-25 simulcast system going....

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
The pdf is in the download file, open it in Winzip or other zip program.

However, use the instructions in the upgrade file by doing steps 1 through 3 as in this image. If satisfied with the popup dialog click OK on it then proceed with steps 4 through 7.

Last edited:

fire978

Premium Subscriber
pro 96 1.3 update

firmware??.. do you mean DSP or CPU? , latest DSP is 1.4 & is user upgradeable, CPU is 1.5 & is NOT user upgradeable.
Paul
P.S> if they should disappear from RS site PM me here I have all 3 dsp upgrades on my HD & will send to whoever may want/ need em

if you still have the 1.3 update for the pro 96 can you send it to me thanks

needham315@gmail.com

Engine104

Member since 2005
The 1.3 update was buggy. Not sure why you would want it.

I use DSP 1.2 on my Pro-96 and 2096 and it works the best for minimizing the digital motorboating.

I found that as well here in L.A. decoding the LAPD APCO system. The newer DSP upgrades would drop out on transmissions.

rsnow22

Paul

I have 2096 with 1.3 from factory. Need 1.2. 1.4 upgrade is available, but can'take find 1.2. Have looked on net, but have been told that can't go below factory. Have motorboating on digital channels. Have another scanner with 1.2 and it doesn't motorboat.

Status
Not open for further replies.