Radio Shack PRO-197 Display Characters going Backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpryor

My new Radio Shack PRO-197 has an interesting feature that appears when you leave the unit on for a long enough time. At some point over night, all of the display characters go back wards. Each character on each of the four main lines on the LCD have flopped over backwards. The text strings themselves are not back wards, just each character, essentially like looking into a mirror. So far from what I can determine, this feature can only be turned off by rebooting the radio. I have another individual in my area who also purchased a PRO-197 and has seen the same thing happen with their unit after leaving it on over night.

Anybody else seeing this display issue with the PRO-197, or other RS/GRE equivalents (PRO-106, etc)? I've never seen this particular issue with my GRE PSR-500.

Attachments

• Radio Shack PRO-197 Display Characters Backwards - Small.JPG
    Radio Shack PRO-197 Display Characters Backwards - Small.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,218

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Could it be.......SATAN!?!

Backwards masking!!! :evil:

So says the Church Lady

Now isn't that special. :roll:

:wink:

jpryor

Yes, rebooting the radio by either turning off and back on, or reloading a v-scanner and rebooting clears the problem. So it is not difficult to fix, and not terribly annoying unless it will continue to happen.

In my case, the radio had been consistently connected and powered and the backwards issue happened at some point over night.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Trick or Treat?

I've done it. As I recall, it was brought on by interrupting (unplug then plug) the wall wart while the PSR500 was on. I've heard of others performing the same trick.

Possibility of a power surge?

Do you have your wall wart plugged straight into the wall or a surge protector?

If others are "performing" that trick I think they're tempting fate.......will end up with a fried radio sooner or later. :(

hoser147

Jeff, They could have put another LED in there and made it projection also.:lol: Had it happen with my PSR600 cant remember what it was. I would give them a call and see what they say. Chances are they will give you a new one. If it were the GRE you could turn in a trouble ticket, but from my understanding it has to go thru RS.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I saw that only once in a year on my GRE500 and it was on battery power...Turned it off and on and all was well.....

Hoofy

I had that same thing on my 197 last night. It has been running for many days prior to last night. I shut it off and turned it back on and all was okay.....

Has anyone called or checked on this from the company???????????

SWCOScanner

Feed Provider
Now that is strange. My 197 has been running non-stop (providing a feed) for more than 2 weeks. It runs all night, every night. I've never seen anything like that backwards text. Kinda cool, but I'd still have it repaired/replaced if it were me...

mikey60

That's pretty weird lol. I would call and see if you can get a replacement.

There have been reports of the same thing happening on the PSR-600. I doubt returning for an exchange to another of the same model would resolve it. I'm sure if GRE can figure out what's causing it, and it can be fixed via firmware, that it will be fixed.

If it can't be fixed via firmware (ie. it's a hardware issue), then on the rare occasions this happens, it only takes a few seconds to turn the power off, and back on to correct it.

Mike

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
With the speaker on the bottom, maybe it's telling you it needs to be turned over. I haven't encountered this either after 2 months.

Hoofy

Icom, I tried turning it upside down but that doesn't work. It actually made it worse. Everything was upsidedown and backwards. What works is to turn it 180 degrees and then everything seems fine . You can't even tell if there is a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

AlmostHandy

I absolutely love that you refer to this issue as a "Feature".

And interestingly enough, if you looked at it in a mirror, the letters would appear properly, but everything would be spelled backwards.

i.e. that second line would read "metsyS"

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried running it off of a different power adapter maybe with higher ma. rating or, PS with good Filter and low ripple rating? just food for thought! good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.