RS PRO 160 & 162 Being Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRO64

Hi I just wanted to add some information I found out yesterday about the PRO 160. I have been waiting for it show up on the RS web site which it never did. So I called a couple of local RS stores in my area and I gave them a cat of 20-0160. They said the number was a good one, however, thay are being closed out. Also, PRO 162 according to the local store and the RS website said it has been discontinued. It is no longer on the website just an FYI. Getting back to the PRO -160. I have been checking the RS site and I have never seen the PRO 160 appear on there. RS said the website will have stuff the stores don't have and the stores wil have stuff the website does not list. So I had them check for stores out of my local district and they indeed found a few mostly demo units. So, this scanner is out there. If you want one, good luck finding it. The manager at the local store said the current price is $149.97. He said that last number 7 in the price indicates a close out price. Also, it is a big deal to get an item shipped out of the district to another district. The local District Manager has to contact the other District Manager to make it happen. I am disappointed that RS webite does not list everything. I have been waiting to see it show on the site but it never did and it was out there the whole time. I have the PRO-162 and it is outstanding. Also, does Uniden make an equivlent model to the PRO-160? It is the BCT15 ?

Thanks

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
You can get a BCT-15 for the same price as the pro-160 if you get it somewhere else than Radio Shack. that $290.00 that they want for the bct-15 is crazy! I ordered mine for $210.00 plus shipping. i think RS is more interested in dealing with cell phones and contracts. I've went to my local shack before just to by maybe a few resistors capacitors etc. and go to get in line and there would be two checkers and both, of them would be tied up opening up new cell phone contracts with customers and two long lines of people just wanting to make a quick simple purchase waiting. Well, needless to say, I put my 4 or 5 dollars worth of parts back and just left. It's a shame I don't have a regular electronics store in this small town. I've seen people put 2 and 300 dollar items back and just leave very irritated for the same reason. Seems every since they started their phone offerings they have been going down hill as far as stock, and customer service. I think they would at least be smart enough to have one line for phone service, and another line for general purchases. I've been going there for 30 years but, it's just not the same Radio Shack they used to be. just my opinion of course.

br0adband

It wouldn't surprise me to see Radio Shack heading in the same kind of direction that Circuit City is at this point. They just charge too much for the products they sell, period. Happens because they've grown so damned large they have to push retail or even above retail on the customers to afford the huge number of stores and their own infrastructure, unfortunately.

Compare them to Fry's, with about 22 stores nationwide. If you've ever been to one, you know exactly what I'm talking about: prices that simply slap the competition across the face, figuratively speaking. If you haven't been to a Fry's, let's just say if you're a geek like many of us, or a Ham, or whatever... it's pretty much "Heaven on Earth" for us folk. :)

I made a post last week or so about the fact that in the early 80s I purchased one of those telescopic whip center loaded whip antennas with the BNC connector for a handheld crystal scanner (boy those were the days...). When I bought it the very first time around 1981 - seriously - it was $4.99, no kidding. $4.99 for that stainless steel telescopic center loaded whip antenna with the BNC connector on it. $5 lousy smackers...

Contrast that with the exact same antenna, now 28 years later... the exact same specs, slightly altered packaging, but the exact same product:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103159

$17.99.

Talk about inflation... I am so peeved at that, and other aspects of "the store I grew up with" that I simply can't tolerate 'em anymore. Needless to say I rarely ever go to Radio Shack anymore, and the last time I was at one about two weeks ago the young clerk (some girl barely out of high school) didn't approach me or my Wife for 4 minutes after we came in. She didn't greet us, she didn't say "Welcome to Radio Shack," she didn't even acknowledge our entrance when the "DING DONG" door chime sounded as we entered.

Lackluster service, ignorance of several rather popular items as well as several store policies forced me - yes, I didn't want to do it but I did because that stuff is unacceptable - to ask for the District Manager's card. They're required by company policy to display a placard with the DM's card and contact info on it, most stores hide it out of view which is yet another broken company policy. She was rather unsettled that I would demand such a thing, so she called her Store Manager and tried to hand the phone off to me. I politely refused and said (loud enough to make sure the SM heard me while still connected) that I wanted the DM's card. I don't know what the SM told the clerk but she went into the back - still talking on the cordless phone - and came back 2 minutes later with the card.

I filed a report the next day with the Admin Asst for the DM, and I still haven't heard back from him yet. That was just a hair over 13 days ago now. Honestly, if they cave and go under like Circuit City, at this point, based on how completely crappy the service and their pricing has taken a turn for the worse over the past few years, I won't miss 'em. And I've been shopping at Radio Shack since I could walk, I think. Side effect of having a Dad that was an Electrical Engineer I guess. :D

I'm lucky enough to have a Fry's right here in Las Vegas just down the road a bit. To get to it, I make one single left turn onto Las Vegas Blvd and drive south, make a right turn into the parking lot. That's it. :)

Can't get easier than that unless I lived there... :D

Ok, enough ranting...

Last edited:

K7MRT

Premium Subscriber
I too have had merchandise (and cash!) in hand waiting at the register for someone, anyone, to just come over and take my money. And this was a cell phone accessory (bluetooth).. The clerks were more inclined to prove their knowledge set on a digital tv converter to an elderly couple on a fact finding mission. Radio Shack's time has come and gone. I did however, manage to purchase a new Pro-162 two weeks ago...great radio/great price...and then find out this morning that the darn thing was discontinued and no longer supported!!!

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
I find it interesting that they are doing away with these models! OK, I know that they directly compete with the Pro-163/164 series, and perhaps, RadioShack decided that they don't want to sell two similar analog radios... Oh well, I got one of the 162's when they were on sale, and I really like the radio! My opinion is that it outperforms the 164 especially in the VHF and UHF airbands (which is what I primarily use it for). My ONLY gripe about the radio (which I can live with) is that the mode (AM/FM) is fixed and not switchable in the 138-144 MHz. The Signal Stalker is v1, and includes the Voice Interrupt (or not) feature (aka;;; close call DND). Overall a great sturdy handheld radio!

himelrick

pro-162

That figures. I just bought a 162 right before Christmas for 99.00 great scanner.also have a pro-433 which looks a lot like the 160 really could not see much difference in the two scanners.just wished the 433 had alpha tags like the 162

k9jdk

They have the Pro-162 on clearance right now. Any opinions on it?

There are several threads related to the 162 here; easily searched. I purchased a 162 last year and am very happy with it. Got the ARC160 software from Butel. Works well.

The 162 didn't last long at RS. Wonder why? It is/was a good scanner.

HTH

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
They have the Pro-162 on clearance right now. Any opinions on it?

I will tell you that my 162 is one of my most used portables. It has great sensitivity/selectivity and the display shows you everything. PL/DPL tones, bank tag/channel tag frequency,manual/scan status,delay,channel number. All at the same time. Yes sir, you gotta love that. Only negative thing I found is that it will not do 7.5 khz steps just 6.5 khz, but thats it. It covers civil/milair very well too. Definitely jump on one if you can find it.

Manny

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
Picked up the last 162 on the store.

They wanted $4 for a screw on BNC connector for RG-6, if I had to wire my house, it would be cheaper to get a compression tool and good quality stuff.

My roommate was outraged that they wanted $1.99 plus tax for some capacitor or diode he is looking for (but it was out of stock). Apparently we are stopping by Fry's next weekend when we drive down to Phoenix.

Terminal

The 162 is going to be nicknamed the unicorn pretty soon. I wanted to bring a few in to my store (one for myself of course!) to sell, and ended up having to get them from a store halfway across the country. Apparently New England was cleaned out with an order for 3 dozen 162's, and of the six stores that reported them as in stock, not a one actually had the scanner. If anyone near western Massachusetts is still searching for a 160 or 162, I have one of each brand new and unopened; just shoot me a PM so I can tell you which store.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
Such a great scanner the pro-162, I sure hated it when I found out they had been discontinued. but, since I got in on the $99.00 sale they had and my small town is almost, all conventional non trunking I will get more, then my moneys worth.

k9jdk

Radio

I sent RS an email about the Pro-162. Here is the response:

We searched our website to see if we had the Pro-162 scanner available.
Unfortunately, we do not carry this item at this time. We are always
adding new products to our online store; however, due to manufacturer's
schedules, we are unable to provide estimated arrival times for product
replenishments unless otherwise indicated on the website.

We operate a real-time inventory system that updates our web store
catalog according to what is available in our inventory. If an item,
size, or color is not available, we remove it from the Internet store to
avoid any confusion. In addition, we do not have the ability to view
the inventories of other retailers or our land-based stores.

For further assistance in locating the Pro-162 scanner, please contact
your local RadioShack store. RadioShack store associates are ready and
willing to answer any questions you may have regarding parts, batteries,
accessories and current/discontinued items. Our Store Locator will help
you find a store near you.

Last edited:

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
Only $5 cheaper than what I got mine for. I got the last one, so I'm glad I didn't wait.

sffire

Premium Subscriber
I got my Pro-162 seven weeks ago at $129. I check three weeks ago and it was still listed for $129 with a couple left in San Francisco.

raisindot

If anyone finds a Pro 162, please sell to me...

If any of you are lucky enough to scoop up any of the remaining Pro 162s at the $97 price, I'd be willing to buy one from you with a bit of markup for your problems. Can pay through Paypal to make it secure.

Suzie in Boston

spooney

If any of you are lucky enough to scoop up any of the remaining Pro 162s at the $97 price, I'd be willing to buy one from you with a bit of markup for your problems. Can pay through Paypal to make it secure.

Suzie in Boston

I have one for sale. $100.00 + $10.00 shipping + $3.09 PayPal fee total $113.09
I'll also include a programing cable.

Last edited:

raisindot

Ironically, after all this searching for unicorns discussion, Scannermaster was advertising the Pro 162 in one of its ads on the RR home page. Link brought to a "item no longer being offered" page.

Just for fun, I spent nearly 20 minutes waiting on SM's customer service line to find out 1) no, they didn't have any left over and 2) they weren't aware the Pro 162 was still being advertised on RR.

Suzie

Status
Not open for further replies.