PRO 164 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings

I purchased a Radio Shack PRO 164 scanner today and would love to be able to program all of my local frequencies (Trunk IDS also) into my new scanner. I became a subscriber here in hopes that someone that is knowledgeable with this scanner could set me on the right path. I have the cable that can attach to my laptop and connect my scanner to the PC. What software do I need and where can I find the correct frequencies. Please help me make this as painless as possible if you can.

Thanks in advance.

scannerface27

helping

dear cheifpropellrerhead.... i have a 164 also ive had it know for about a month. all you need to do is search the rr database for scarolina, find what you want and program it in your bank..or if you want good and easy to follow arc-300 software is very good.. i am old school and do mine by hand, but i did also use this software for the first time and like it alot...happy programing...

Where can I download the frequency db for Berkeley County

Thanks for your response.

I have Scancat installed on my laptop. I am a premium member here. How do I download the frequencies list for Berkeley County for my Pro 164. I need a simple how to guide please.

Thanks

How can I download the db files for win97 to use?

try South Carolina Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference if youre useing win 97 its very easy to set up.

Ok, I will download win97 and see if that will work. I still do not see HOW to download the frequency database for berkeley county here in SC. All the website page says is that you need to be a premium member of this site which I already am. Are there no simple instructions for how to do this?

N8IAA

Ok, I will download win97 and see if that will work. I still do not see HOW to download the frequency database for berkeley county here in SC. All the website page says is that you need to be a premium member of this site which I already am. Are there no simple instructions for how to do this?

When you have Win97 downloaded and running, [make sure that you are connected to the internet :)], click on File, click on web import. Pick trunked, or, conventional. It will take you to the Web Import on radio reference. Follow the directions, and pick your system, or set of conventional frequencies. Check all the boxes that apply to what you want to monitor. Follow the prompts to add it to Win97. I use it to make up files for my 106 and 163.
Larry

Thanks

Ok, I was able to use Win97 and RR database to upload my first batch of Trunked frequencies to my Pro 164. Thanks. I just need to read the manual and figure out how to go from Trunked scanning to conventional scanning. For now I use my old Bearcat Scanner for listenting to the local PD. Sort of silly since I have this new whizbang toy of mine. LOL. Thanks again Larry

N8IAA

Ok, I was able to use Win97 and RR database to upload my first batch of Trunked frequencies to my Pro 164. Thanks. I just need to read the manual and figure out how to go from Trunked scanning to conventional scanning. For now I use my old Bearcat Scanner for listenting to the local PD. Sort of silly since I have this new whizbang toy of mine. LOL. Thanks again Larry
Have you put the conventional in banks other than the trunking banks? If you have, you just need to activate the different banks by pressing on the corresponding number on the keypad. Then just let the scanner do its thing:)
Larry

changing banks

Have you put the conventional in banks other than the trunking banks? If you have, you just need to activate the different banks by pressing on the corresponding number on the keypad. Then just let the scanner do its thing:)
Larry

Ok, dont laugh. I spent several hours last night playing around with this PRO 164. I have bank 0 for Trunk tracking and then I uploaded conventional frequencies to bank 1. When I turned the scanner on it went straight to Bank 1 and started to scan there. However I was unable to figure out how to switch from bank 1 to bank 0. The manual says to just use the number pad to switch but for the life of me I could not figure out how to tell the scanner I want to change banks and not channels. I know you have to take it out of scan mode by hitting Man button. I got things so hosed up at one point I had to reinitialize the scanner and then reload bank 0 with the trunk information. Now I need to add the conventional channels again and figure out HOW to switch banks. One step at a time...

Thanks

When you have Win97 downloaded and running, [make sure that you are connected to the internet :)], click on File, click on web import. Pick trunked, or, conventional. It will take you to the Web Import on radio reference. Follow the directions, and pick your system, or set of conventional frequencies. Check all the boxes that apply to what you want to monitor. Follow the prompts to add it to Win97. I use it to make up files for my 106 and 163.
Larry

Ok, I am slowly but surely learning how to use the app. I have it working now and I know how to downlaod the frequencies or trunks that I want and send them to the scanner.

Thanks again

N8IAA

Ok, dont laugh. I spent several hours last night playing around with this PRO 164. I have bank 0 for Trunk tracking and then I uploaded conventional frequencies to bank 1. When I turned the scanner on it went straight to Bank 1 and started to scan there. However I was unable to figure out how to switch from bank 1 to bank 0. The manual says to just use the number pad to switch but for the life of me I could not figure out how to tell the scanner I want to change banks and not channels. I know you have to take it out of scan mode by hitting Man button. I got things so hosed up at one point I had to reinitialize the scanner and then reload bank 0 with the trunk information. Now I need to add the conventional channels again and figure out HOW to switch banks. One step at a time...
Manual has nothing to do with changing banks. You change banks by pressing the # on the keypad while the scanner is in the SCAN mode. If you want to listen to Bank 1, press the #1, then press the #0. That takes you out of the trunking bank to the conventional bank. I chuckled because it took me a while to figure out how to do all that when learning how new scanners worked. It took me almost a month to catch on to my 106. It was waaay different than my 96 and other bank challenged scanners;))
Larry

Pro 164 has no such key

Manual has nothing to do with changing banks. You change banks by pressing the # on the keypad while the scanner is in the SCAN mode. If you want to listen to Bank 1, press the #1, then press the #0. That takes you out of the trunking bank to the conventional bank. I chuckled because it took me a while to figure out how to do all that when learning how new scanners worked. It took me almost a month to catch on to my 106. It was waaay different than my 96 and other bank challenged scanners;))
Larry

Ok, I looked at the keypad on my Pro 164 and it does not have a # key. What now? LOL... Thanks for helping me.

cheers

MistressGwen

Premium Subscriber
can u PLEASE list the procedure for manual programming - I dl'd the manual for this and it tells u how and I do it- but then it says the frequency I want to program in is invalid... I have a uniden bc200xlt -older model - but its only 100 channel - its so easy to program anything in- doesnt reject a thing - great scanner - my battery is bad - so its always plugged in- why cant this thing be that easy! thanx for your time...

Status
Not open for further replies.