Pro-197 Need programing help PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberly8

Just bought this new RS Pro-197 digital scanner. Now-two day later and no sleep because I cannot program it:(
What isTSYS (I have the Motorola 800/900)? How do I "program" this? What information is it looking for to match a "talk group"? A number? A name?
What's the ID?-do I give it a personal name or is it some techical information I should be giving it?

I have all the frequency numbers I can handle and have tried to enter it all different ways...to NO AVAIL. Not one channel can I get...nada nothing:( Someone PLEASE helpme????

mikey60

Just bought this new RS Pro-197 digital scanner. Now-two day later and no sleep because I cannot program it:(
What isTSYS (I have the Motorola 800/900)? How do I "program" this? What information is it looking for to match a "talk group"? A number? A name?
What's the ID?-do I give it a personal name or is it some techical information I should be giving it?

I have all the frequency numbers I can handle and have tried to enter it all different ways...to NO AVAIL. Not one channel can I get...nada nothing:( Someone PLEASE helpme????

Please tell us what system you're trying to program. This will help us to help you.

A TSYS is a Trunked System. Based on your message above, that would be a Motorola 3600bps system in this case.

I highly recommend using one of the software programs that are out for programming this radio. While it is possible to program them by hand, software will allow you to use your premium subscription to the database to download the information into the software, and then upload that into your scanner. The software handles all of the details about system settings. All of the software packages provide a free trial period so you can see for yourself how they work.

A listing of the available software can be found at Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

LarrySC

Post on your STATE forum for help in your City or Area. Find someone with a PRO-197 or PRO-106 already programmed. Get a clone and then backload that into your software. NOW you can see everything that needs attention. Modify as needed. The 197 is a TIGER. It will take "months" to build a good workable program. Join the PRO197 Yahoo Group. Also Join WIN500 Yahoo Group and look at sample program UPSTATE SC. Looking at this program will answer lots of questions. Good Luck.

Kimberly8

Mikey & Larry-
Thank you so very much for giving somewhere's to look! You asked what system I am trying to program; I don't even know what that means (sadly). The scanner is a Pro-197 - not sure if that is the "system". I eally appreciate your patience with me-I am sure it is frustrating. I will take both of your suggestions and continue myresearch as well. I did buy and install the software (win500) but of course I cannot get that to function for me...I have tried to upload from radio frequency from that program but it doesn't recognize the scanner. The port is functioning properly and is being recognized, so not sure what that issue is. As for my scanner being a "TIGER"- I hope that is a good thing. I don't give up easily and I will spend countless hours figuring this out someway-or my husband will only get a good laugh:) Thanks again!
~Kimberly

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Kimberly, it's very important to supply the system from the database when trying to resolve programming issues. This is one of the steps necessary to show everyone exactly what you are trying to use. Go to the top, and click on database (right under the logo). When you get to the database home page, select your state from the pulldown on the left. You will see trunked systems on the left; click on that. Select the system you are trying to use. Capture the URL to your clipboard and post it.

As for understanding a trunked system - start with the excellant introduction by our own UPMan - this article is in PDF format.

http://www.uniden.com/products/ButIjustwanttolistentothePolice.pdf

73 Mike

Last edited:

mikey60

Mikey & Larry-
Thank you so very much for giving somewhere's to look! You asked what system I am trying to program; I don't even know what that means (sadly). The scanner is a Pro-197 - not sure if that is the "system". I eally appreciate your patience with me-I am sure it is frustrating. I will take both of your suggestions and continue myresearch as well. I did buy and install the software (win500) but of course I cannot get that to function for me...I have tried to upload from radio frequency from that program but it doesn't recognize the scanner. The port is functioning properly and is being recognized, so not sure what that issue is. As for my scanner being a "TIGER"- I hope that is a good thing. I don't give up easily and I will spend countless hours figuring this out someway-or my husband will only get a good laugh:) Thanks again!
~Kimberly

When we say what system are you trying to program, we're basically looking for where you are located. And what you are trying to listen to.

As far as getting WIN500 to work with the Pro-197, if you are using the Radio Shack USB cable, DO NOT use the short 3" adapter cable with the Pro-197. The adapter cable will make it not work. If that's in the line, remove it and try again.

Mike

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Click on the database button at the top of this page.
Click on the State you live in
Click on the County you live in
Click on the Radio System you want to monitor.

Give us the above information and we can help you set up the radio to monitor the "Systems"

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Once you get the drivers reinstalled in the computer, go to the control pannel on the computer, select System and then select "Device Manager" Look for "Ports (COM & LPT) and identify the COM port assigned to the cable.

In WIN500 under Configuration, select Serial Configuration and then select the correct COM port.

Now you should be able to download from scanner. If this works, you are now ready to enter the information into WIN500 and upload to the scanner.

jnewell

I have a PSR600, which is the GRE version of your scanner. I've been using Win500, PSREdit500 and ARC500 without any problems. Once you have the cable set up correctly and have installed the correct drivers, everything should work pretty well. I am in MA and can send you a sample file that includes the MA State Police.

I think there are two software-type issues. First, can you download the right info from the RR database. Second, can you set it up correctly for the scanner. Note that all of the programs (IIRC) will put new information in scan list 1. You can change the list "assignment" and you can have a given system in more than one scan list. If it helps, to me, it works a little like iTunes. All of the music is in the "library," and you can put it into as many or as few playlists as you wish.

Let us know where you get and if you need more help. The "object oriented" talk makes it sound harder than it is. Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder what took you so long, and you'll never want to go back to another scanner memory system.

Kimberly8

Whew what an afternoon! I think I have the software downloaded correctly. The ports even matched:) I went into the database and looked under my area....came up with a local listing, then uploaded it to my scanner. I see it is in there!!! The bad news is that I am not hearing anything:(
I am wondering if my signal strength is an issue (I see on average 2-3 bars and an occasional S) so I am walking around the house and seeing if there is a better spot. Should I get a bigger/better antennea? I would think that even with a not so great signal, I would hear something?

Question: How do I enter my own frequencies into the database and upload them to my scanner from the win500? I see the keyboard under monitor/control but I can't seem to click on anything. I thought perhaps I could click the frequencies in and then upload but that would be too easy, I suppose.

I am really appreciating all this advice!!!!

~Kimbery

qlajlu

Silent Key
Question: How do I enter my own frequencies into the database and upload them to my scanner from the win500? I see the keyboard under monitor/control but I can't seem to click on anything. I thought perhaps I could click the frequencies in and then upload but that would be too easy, I suppose.
Once again I urge you to look at this help file for WIN500. It covers adding individual frequencies and individual talk groups.

Kimberly8

Great advice....I think I see a possibility of were I screwed up. I am going to reset my scanner again and start from scratch (again). :)
Thanks to all who have jumped in and eased my pain!!!
~Kimberly

Kimberly8

I have a PSR600, which is the GRE version of your scanner. I've been using Win500, PSREdit500 and ARC500 without any problems. Once you have the cable set up correctly and have installed the correct drivers, everything should work pretty well. I am in MA and can send you a sample file that includes the MA State Police.

I think there are two software-type issues. First, can you download the right info from the RR database. Second, can you set it up correctly for the scanner. Note that all of the programs (IIRC) will put new information in scan list 1. You can change the list "assignment" and you can have a given system in more than one scan list. If it helps, to me, it works a little like iTunes. All of the music is in the "library," and you can put it into as many or as few playlists as you wish.

Let us know where you get and if you need more help. The "object oriented" talk makes it sound harder than it is. Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder what took you so long, and you'll never want to go back to another scanner memory system.

I think it does help to relate it to itunes somewhat...I have a handheld trunking scanner so I get the trunk and bank lingo a little bit but this tsys thing threw me for a loop. I really hope in a while I will understand it better and will be as happy with this scanner as I hoped for. Thanks again!!!
~Kimberly

jnewell

I had the same on-ramp issue and using Win500 helped a lot to visualize what was happening when I downloaded stuff from the RR database and uploaded it to the scanner. I am currently trying to get comfortable with the Uniden DMA memory structure after almost 10 years of GRE banks and now object-oriented structure. Stick with it - the results are worth it. The PSR500/600 and equivalent RS scanners are really amazing machines and worth the effort. Shout if you need help.

bobincola

Pro 197

I have had this scanner for 3 months and can't get it programmd - software or no software.

I am in Columbia SC and monitor Richland County Sheriff Dept., Columbia PD, Fire, EMS, etc. - all on Palmetto 800.

I have owned many Radio Shack scanners - priarily because of the ease of programming - this one has got me stumped though.

If you have any pointers, please share them with me. I am ready to go back a geeneration of scanners just so i can program it.

Also, does anyone know where to find a digital card for BC785D scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.