Pro 163 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ja6969

I just purchased a Pro 163. I am new to the trunking scanners so forgive my ignorance.
I programmed it with ARC 300 since my local Radio Shack no longer does programming. The problem is it won't pick up the 800 channels. I have several friends that are state troopers. They are on the 800 Motorola, they stop by from time to time, the scanner won't pick up their radio traffic at all. The owners manual is useless. Once in a while it will show an ID number and make a noise like a jack hammer. (best I can describe it)
It will pick up the surrounding counties sheriff dept which are not on the 800 system yet. But i am lost on trying to get the 800's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

N8IAA

Yep. They sure are. But, it is an APCO P-25 mixed mode digital system. Most all of the SP and law enforcement on the system is digital. There is a lot of analog, but not what you want to monitor. You will need to take the 163 back and get a 197. Then get Win500 to program the radio. You'll be able to hear your friends then.
Larry

ja6969

Thanks Larry,
That was kind of what I was thinking. Radio Shack guys said it would pick up the SP. Should have checked into it more. Thought that was an awful cheap price.
I assume the digital will still pick up the non-digital signals also, is that correct?

Thanks again,
Jeff

SCPD

QRT
This won't do any good if it is a P25 system, but to me it almost sounds like you didn't set the system type. I noticed in programming my 163 I can set the bank as EDACS, but I still have to manually insert EDACS into the sytem type column. Without that, it will default to an inapproriate system type and for some reason AM sticks in my mind as the default.

Hopefully this helps, but as I said, if it is a P25 system my suggestion won't work.

N8IAA

I assume the digital will still pick up the non-digital signals also, is that correct?

Yes it will Jeff. I use my 163 for all my analog listening, including one analog trunked system. The 106 has all the local P-25 systems, plus, all of the conventional and the one analog system that is on the base radio. I just goes to show you how little the employees know about what they sell. I find that the manager of my local RS is knowledgeable, but insists that ScanCat lite is the way to program GRE/RS scanners. If you get one of the digitals, PM me and I will be glad to help you through learning the scanner.
Larry

ja6969

Ok I will check it out and get back to you. Is there a better digital scanner you would recommend? If I am going to spend that much money, might as well get the best I can.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.