RS pro-162

Status
Not open for further replies.

himelrick

stupid thing of the week.I left my 162 scanner sitting on my wifes car, while I worked on my truck.she had to leave and I forgot that the scanner was still sitting on the trunk.when she got back (3 mile trip)she reported that there was a strange noise coming from the back of her car.I looked around and found my scanner still laying face down .my question is there anything that will take scratches off the screen or can RS replace the screen ? when you get done laughing please let me know : )

rmiller818

How deep?

I had a small one on my 106's screen and managed to remove it just from rubbing it with my finger. (was pretty minor)

Another user on here has told me that brasso will take the scratches out.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Brasso, Wadding Polish, toothpaste, Ajax, rubbing compound... depending on how deep the scratches are, almost anything *might* work. You could also try one of the many iPod cleaner/polishers. I used Novus Plastic Polish with great results on a Pro-95 that I bought recently for cheap due to the scratched screen. Good as new? Of course not. But readable, and that's what I wanted.

Probably nothing in the polish/abrasive will make it as good as new, so you have to weigh the cost/reward.

Altho, I would be interested as to how much RS might want to fix it, It's still new enough that parts should be in stock.:)

StatuSChecKa

Thats a pretty sexy scanner.
What does the scratch have to do with the noise?
Find the RSU number and just purchase a new front case, it comes with the plastic screen. $20.
Hell, you may even be able to buy just the screen. (unlikely)

How long have you had the scanner? The scanner comes with a free 1-year warranty, they will repair it for free. As long it isnt to banged up. If the year is up you will have to pay a 20 dollar fee JUST to ship it off and so they can find the problem. Then you have to pay for the parts and labor if you decide to get it fixed.

StatuSChecKa

Ya but if it is ONLY a scratched screen (plastic part i assume) I dont think he will want to spend so much money.
Ordering a front case (that includes the screen [NOT the LCD]) is only like $20.
I needed a new one from a paint job gone wrong!

Himelrick, don't feel bad, I left my PRO97 on the passenger side step of my truck, and ran it over. At least your still works. There is plastic polishing compounds for many things, car headlights (auto body supply or auto parts store?)come to mind as well as what others have said.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Nu-Finish Scratch Doctor! Available at most any autoparts store, Walmart, K-Mart, etc.

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
part number 12464053 which is the FRONT ASSY is in stock ar RSU parts for $7.29 pluss shipping

Attachments

• Z95205.jpg
    Z95205.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 378

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
part number 12464053 which is the FRONT ASSY is in stock ar RSU parts for $7.29 pluss shipping

I don't suppose they have an online parts listing anywhere? I'd love to see the complete list with prices for the PRO-160. There are a few parts I'd be interested in buying spares for future use.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
THis is the parts list for PRO-97, but i'm sure the parts are the same for the Pro-162, only the part numbers are different.
you can confirm this with the employees at your local RadioShack...if they know how.

**LINK** http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/21741-pro-97-parts-list.html#post165755
I am SURE they are NOT the same scanner and do NOT have the same parts!!!! The PRO-97 was made by GRE and the PRO-162 was made by Uniden. It's like putting Chevy parts on a Ford.

himelrick

pro-162

sorry it took so long to thank you all for your great response.found some mequiars plastx cleaner and polish I had and it worked great.cannot even see the scratches. thanks again and have a good evening

StatuSChecKa

NOT the same scanner and do NOT have the same parts!
Yes, I did intend to say the the same parts to choose from, obviously not the same exact part as the 97. I.E. the 162 still has the a front assembly, and knobs and such. Of course not the same size and shape of the 97.

Hey I'm glad the Meguiars worked for you, I'm surprised. Must not have been that deep of a scratch.
Sounds like something I need to keep in the garage.

himelrick

pro-162

Meguiars plastx is a pretty good product,I use it to restore old emergency lights ,was not sure if it would work,almost afraid to try till I seen the posting for the new front assy. for 7.95 thought I would not be up the creek if I gave it a try.thanks again everyone.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I don't suppose they have an online parts listing anywhere? I'd love to see the complete list with prices for the PRO-160. There are a few parts I'd be interested in buying spares for future use.

Let me know what parts you are interested in and I will see if they are available.

DickH

Let me know what parts you are interested in and I will see if they are available.

That is one of the four (there may be others) "abandoned" RS scanners. They were made by Uniden, Japan, but both Uniden, America and Radio Shack now deny any knowledge of them Nice way to treat us.
I doubt you will find any info about the PRO-160, 162, 433 and 528. I downloaded the manuals from the FCC site. Maybe more info. there, too. I'll look when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.