Radio Shack Realistic Pro-2021 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsanchor

Premium Subscriber
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the boards, and am thrilled to be there. I just purchased a Radio Shack Pro-2021 used scanner on Ebay last week. Despite being nearly 25 years old, it works like new, so I'm happy about that. I need better reception, however. I purchased a telescoping antenna a few days ago. It helps but it's not good enough. I work in the news business so I need hear activity that's happening in a 60 mile radius of where I live. Please let me know if there is a compatible antenna out there that will help me.

Thanks,
Brent

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Brent, how far away you can hear depends on a great many factors - this thread (all links are in blue) discusses this question in detail...

http://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-forum/115818-how-far-can-i-receive.html

Even on VHF hi frequencies (144-174 Mhz), I suspect you would need a decent sized tower and a directional antenna to get a 60 mile range- and even then, it might be an iffy proposition. As the frequencies go higher the likelihood of getting that kind of range significantly decreases.

Just to cover your immediate area, our database shows there are a lot of conventional freqs that the 2021 could potentially hear...

Kent County, Michigan (MI) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Of course we would need to know more about your situation - primary of which is can you put an antenna outside? Or are you restricted to indoor antennas (which will cut your range...)?

Michigan utilizes a digital statewide system that the 2021 cannot receive, and there are a couple of sites in Kent County. There are several scanners that can do the job, however they are a bit on the expensive side, unless you find one used or on sale. This wiki category lists them; just click on the model number to read the article;

Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

I would begin by looking at this page, and reading the links in the 'Links for Beginners' box found on the top right;

Main Page - The RadioReference Wiki

then start asking questions in our Michigan forum, and/or join the Scan Michigan yahoo group to educate yourself about what scannists in your area are using.

I would also consider examining the various online audio services which rebroadcast scanner audio - there are a great many of them. Here on RR, we host over 2000 of these providers; for example

Kent County, Michigan (MI) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

73 (best regards)..Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.