Pro-444

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8zrp

Regarding the the new Pro-444 on the Radio Shack site...

I like the small form factor however the RR Wiki only shows a coverage range of 450-467Mhz. Odd in that the NASCAR Wiki Page has a significant number of frequencies listed in the 467-469Mhz range.

Anyone heard any more info on it? The Radio Shack page lists 'Tech Specs' of 1000 Channels with 25-1300Mhz coverage and Signal Stalker. Sounds a little much for $99.99 radio designed for NASCAR fans.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I would believe the Radio Shack site on this and not the Wiki. I have never seen anyone produce a scanner with such a narrow range as what is cited there. Whomever submitted the data, either put the info in correctly or really had no idea of what the coverage is. Unfortunately, just another example of the problems with Wiki's - they are only as good as the data submitted.

Eng74

Looks like a RS version of GRE's race scanner that they showed at the CES show this year. This seems like a better race scanner than Uniden's 330 which was over kill for a race fan with trucking and fire tone out. The 330 was a good radio just made for the wrong market.

n8zrp

Found the the Pro-444 in the FCC Database
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...rame=N&application_id=618695&fcc_id='ADV0704'

The PSR-110 is at
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...e=N&application_id=690882&fcc_id='ADV0704901'

-They emissions tested it from 450-470Mhz however a draft of the instruction manual shows the specifications go from 450-467Mhz. Label on the back of the PSR-110 lists "Freq. Range: 450-470 MHz".

-The Test Reports say that the "The EUT contains a permanently attached antenna." The Universal Radio specs for the PSR-110 says "Antenna BNC 50 ohm".

Last edited:

nanZor

I just picked up a Pro-444 on impulse and it indeed does cover up to 470 mhz.

It has FOUR audio jacks, two for each channel (A/B) of a different size. Accomodates headsets with mics so that you have a nice intercom. I don't have a racing headset with a mic, so I can't try that out, but for sure this is pretty cool. The different size jack options means one less adapter to forget when you get to the track. Cell-phone audio is attached to the PC/IF/Phone jack on the right. If you have a racing headset with a microphone, you can talk to the phone.

Antenna is indeed a fixed stubby - no way to change it. Squeezing the antenna feels just like a thick solid rod inside the plastic covering.

Charging can be done in the radio and is set for a 14 hour slow charge. Most of us won't do that internally anyway. Switch inside battery compartment for alkaline / nimh. Takes 3 cells, so if one is going to charge externally, it is best to get a quality charger that can handle odd cells - charging each cell individually. Uniden owners know what I'm talking about. :)

Programming by hand isn't that hard, but it isn't obvious if you don't have the manual. And once you program in a car/freq, there seems to be no way to delete it later! The only thing you can do is lock it out, or add to it. I'll look into this some more. Without the manual or some practice, I'll bet that many just power-cycle it.

Quick setup:

To scan - hold the CAR button for 2 seconds. To stop scanning, hold the CAR button again for two seconds.

SQUELCH: Edit > Setting > SQ
Adjust to taste.

Volume: Tap the FUNC button.

Backing out of menus / edits: Tap the edit button repeatedly to go back. Not intuitive, but it works.

Radio is convex on the bottom! So radio rocks around when set on flat surface. I would have liked a flat surface with rounded edges instead of making the entire bottom convex.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

The different size jack options means one less adapter to forget when you get to the track.

Sorry guys - epic fail. :)

The two larger 1/8 jacks on the side are for earphones. The smaller jack(s) are for the mic inputs for those headsets that have the two-plug setup.

tiggen

Guys, this is my first post to the forum. I realize this is an old thread, but I bought a Pro-444 the other day as it was on clearance for $19.97.

I don't know much about scanning. The only experience I've had was with my SC150B, a Uniden model I bought at a NASCAR race years ago. I used it so infrequently that I had to re-learn how to use it every time I took it out, and it was quite the PITA. I know that probably sounds silly to the more experienced among you.

I bought this scanner for a specific use. We use scanners for pit to driver communications in arrive and drive kart racing. We have a radio in the pit, and the driver listens to the frequency on the scanner. It's basically a lower cost option to full on two-way radio communications. Obviously this is one way, but it works for our purposes. It's cheap, highly portable, and unobtrusive in the kart. I have a Raceceiver as well, which works great.

Anyway, I looked high and low on the internet to find info on a cheap scanner for racing, and I found a lot of good info on this forum. In fact this is where I learned about the Pro-444. In the spirit of the forum I figured I'd share in case somebody else could use the info.

Btw, if anybody does know how to erase frequencies on this scanner, I'd love to know how to do it. It's the only thing I haven't figured out yet.

shadcall

I know with most scanners if you put in a new frequency it will overwrite the current entry. While that doesn't get rid of all the entries it will allow you to put in the frequencies you need and you can lock out the remainder.

N3LOY

I have searched the net, but can't seem to find any actual info supporting the extended coverage claimed on some pages (25~1300) - however I'm hoping there may be some way to reset the scanner or mod the little guy to unlock the coverage.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to add banks. the specs call for 1000 channel/20 banks and its only programmed for a handful of race series. It'd be nice to be able to set up additional race series banks, customized for what i want to listen to.

thoughts?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Have you downloaded the software? It's free you can add banks name them and change the stored frequencies.
RadioShack.com

The radio is now $9.97 on the radio shack clearance site if you can find one in stock near you. I bought one during the summer for $15 on clearance,
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4232141&retainProdsInSession=1
Les

I have searched the net, but can't seem to find any actual info supporting the extended coverage claimed on some pages (25~1300) - however I'm hoping there may be some way to reset the scanner or mod the little guy to unlock the coverage.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to add banks. the specs call for 1000 channel/20 banks and its only programmed for a handful of race series. It'd be nice to be able to set up additional race series banks, customized for what i want to listen to.

thoughts?

Last edited:

grimmie895

Do you have to buy the 20-546 cable for $30 from Radio Shack? Is there a cheaper alternative that will work? Will any USB to 3.5mm cable work? $30 for a cable seems a bit excessive considering I bought the Pro-444 for $40 new.

n2jve

20-546 Programming Cable for RS Pro 444 Race Scanner

Hi All,

Thanks for Reading. I just want to confirm that the part # for the Pro 444 Programming Cable is in fact 20-546. Under scanners covered on the 546 I did not see the 444 on the list. I'm courious if anyone has a serial Port cable wiring diagram for this Scanner since my programming laptop doesn't have a USB port?? I Tried for giggles the Pro 2051 Grey Serial Programming Cable part # ???? on the 444. Supposedly it read the radio but I couldn't find any info for what was downloaded. Thanks in advance on your responses back on my question. Thanks

Mike A.
N2JVE
Niverville,N.Y,

n2jve

Need Driver Help

Hi All,

Thanks for reading. I have been trying to install the 20-546 cable driver in my windows XP several times now with no luck. Since the Radio Shack home page is very limited, cant seem to access support. I can't remember what I had done last time when I first downloaded the program. Seems to me that I had to go to RS web site to get the proper software but I cant remember now. Whats happening is that my laptop is seeing the cable with the driver from the included CD with the low,high chime and goes through the wizzard but says something about windows doesn't see something (sorry I forgot now) but goes all the way through the set up wizzard. I go into Device manager and I can see the cable but there is no port assigned to it. I cant read the radio in XP but works in Windows 7. Is there something that I am missing or is there another driver software that I should be using?? Oh, I am NOT using the Trial Software but using pro444.exe and to be honest I don't even remember where I got that from either, I want to say from the RS site. If anyone can help would be great. Thank you in advance for your responses back!!

Mike N2JVE
Niverville, N.Y.

n2jve

To add to my above post I looked into the Control panel after I downloaded the drivers again and under add or Remove Program. There are two FTDI CDM Driver Packages 10/22/2009 Ver 2.06.00 listed Also windows is saying that that has not passed Windows Logo testing when going through hardware installation Also checked in Device Manager and says that USB Serial converter is working properly but don't see a port number. When I click on USB Serial Converter Properties 5 tabs come up General,Advanced,Power Management, Driver and Details. General,Driver and Details open up but Advanced, and Power Management I get a Microsoft Management Console Window saying that it has encountered a problem and has to close. Am I beating a dead horse????

Mike N2JVE
Niverville, N.Y.

n2jve

Thanks Puzzleriddle !!!! Got it downloading right now. Just got done and it works!!!! A little late now since I needed it at Loudon last weekend but now it's ready for next year. Thank goodness there wasn't that many changes in Drivers and Frequencies from last year.

Mike N2JVE
Niverville, N.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.