RS/FedEx shipping-- need some insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

methusaleh

I have never ordered from the RS website before, I've been buying their scanners and receivers for nearly 25 years in person at physical storefronts. I took the plunge and ordered a PRO197 just moments after midnight on Thanksgiving morning (kudos to RR members here for discussing the sale time!). The package shipped on 12/1/2010.

I was gone for a few days and just came home to find two FedEx notices on my door, which seem to indicate that a signature is needed for the package. However in my shipping notice from RS, it explicitly states that no signature is required. My situation is such that I don't have anyone home during the day who can sign for the package, and myself and my fiancee are never able to get near a FedEx facility during business hours. We are literally brand new to the area, and don't know anyone whom we would trust enough to wait at our house for FedEx to arrive.

I have tried reaching RS by phone several times, only to be led around in circles by their electronic menu system. I never did find an option to speak to a human, even after trying voice prompts of "agent" and "representative." I finally resorted to emailing them. I tried calling FedEx but they were not open (phone line staffed by a human) during the times that I attempted. I emailed FedEx and am awaiting a reply.

Is there any way I can waive the signature requirement, or perhaps have the package shipped to a RS store, or something? I think it is very odd that there seems to be a breakdown in communication between RS and FedEx regarding something as significant as this. I would imagine that RS would be familiar with the FedEx policies, and would note the signature requirement at some point during the order process.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
U can get it dropped off at a fed ex / kinkos location..... then pick it up at your leisure....

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
There should be a number for the local FED EX depot on the slip- you can ask them to hold the package for you to pick up at a time sort of convinient to you. They will typical hold the package for about a week before sending back to the source.

They will hold it at their pick up window- you just have to take the slip they left and picture ID to pick it up.

FED EX wants a signature to protect them. Sometimes you can sign the back of the slip they left and that releases them from liability if they leave it and your neighbor swipes it.

What a world we live in.

Confuzzled

We are literally brand new to the area,

That's why they want a signature. The driver doesn't know you yet. My FedEx driver doesn't need a signature on anything, even flat screen TVs.

Also, I'm out in the sticks, no close neighbors.

There should be a place on the form they left for you to sign, or a check-box to waive the signature.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
There are 2 types of signature required deliveries at Fed Ex. Indirect signature and direct signature. For an indirect signature if you sign the release authorization on the delivery notice that will authorize Fed Ex to leave the package, just notify where you want it left (front door, back door, garage, etc..). Contact Fed Ex at 1-800-GO FEDEX and figure out which type this is.

As mentioned, it can be held for pickup at any Fed Ex or Fed Ex Office (formerly Kinkos) and you can pick it up at your convenience.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Direct signature deliveries CANNOT be left without a signature in person, sorry I forgot to add that in previous post.

hallman59

Premium Subscriber
I am in a similar situation with deliveries. My PRO-197 was shipped signature service. Tag was on my door when I got home. Called FedEx (number on tag). Made arrangements to have the package dropped off at the nearest Kinko's. They hold for 5 days. Had I known that signature service would be used, I would have had it shipped to my work address. (If you use PayPal for payment, you cannot have it shipped to a different address.)

Joe C.

methusaleh

Thanks for all the replies.

I eventually got through to someone at FedEx, and then the person's supervisor, only to be told that the status of the package is "on the truck" (even though today, for some odd reason, wasn't a business day at the local FedEx terminal), and nothing can be changed if the package is "on the truck."

No response to my email, from RS, nor did I ever reach a human on their phone line.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
One more question. Do you know if this was shipped via Fed Ex Ground or Fed Ex Express? Were the colors on the delivery notice green and white or orange/purple and white? BIG difference between Ground and Express!

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I have tried reaching RS by phone several times, only to be led around in circles by their electronic menu system. I never did find an option to speak to a human, even after trying voice prompts of "agent" and "representative." I finally resorted to emailing them. I tried calling FedEx but they were not open (phone line staffed by a human) during the times that I attempted. I emailed FedEx and am awaiting a reply.

Is there any way I can waive the signature requirement, or perhaps have the package shipped to a RS store, or something? I think it is very odd that there seems to be a breakdown in communication between RS and FedEx regarding something as significant as this. I would imagine that RS would be familiar with the FedEx policies, and would note the signature requirement at some point during the order process.

Why did you call radio Shack when FedEx had your package and left you with the information you needed to contact them and make arrangements to have the package delivered to a location where you could get it? No matter who the shipper is, RS, HRO, Amazon, ...., once it is in the shippers hands (UPS, FedEx, USPS), they can not do anything until it is returned to them as undeliverable.

methusaleh

Thanks to all of those who have responded.

It was shipped FedEx Ground.

I contacted RS to see if they could make any changes to the signature requirement stipulation, after all it was they who must have put that on this package.

I am very frustrated today, my fiancee rearranged her work schedule so she could be home all day when FedEx was supposed to come...but they never showed up! Package tracking is still showing it as being on the truck for delivery, ever since the morning of 12/4. FedEx Customer Service line claims the package should have been delivered today and they do not know why no attempt was made.

chaser915

Premium Subscriber
the first time they tried delivering mine, they left a sticky note on the door. They noted the time of attempted delivery and I missed them by about 15 mins. I called fed ex ground right away and they told me they have no communication with the drivers and they will try it again the next day. And she asked if it was checked-off that signature was needed and I told her that yes it was....and then she said then there is nothing that they can do as this is what the shipper wanted. good luck....nothing like having to wait on something you really want.

methusaleh

Radio finally arrived around 1245 on Wednesday 12/8. It was well-packed, but I can't say much more positive about this entire experience.

Litning

not sure where in New England you are, but here in central NH, the FEDEX drivers (at least the ground/home service) are horrible. They are all subcontracted and there appears to be no quality assurance with them. The company I work for has 15 locations throughout New England and New York and each location ships 50-75 packages a day ranging from orings to turbochargers for large diesel engines and FEDEX f***ed our customers too many times and we went to UPS. Never had a problem with them.

Now, I am not knocking ALL FEDEX employees, I am just relaying my observations and experiences with them here in New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.