picking up cell phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

princek1

i would like to know how i can use my scanner to pick up cell phones. or do i need to purchase another one i have the 20-164.triple trunking

shadcall

Federal law prohibits the monitoring of cell phone conversations. Years ago some scanners could be modified to listen to analog cell phone conversations. But even if they could be modified scanners are not able to pick up cell phones since they are no longer analog but are digital. However the digital signals are not Apco P25 which can be monitored. So the answer is you can't monitor them.

But these days you only have to be out in public to listen to at least one part of the cell phone conversations as there are always those people who talk very loudly while on their phones.

Shadcall

Pro 106 Pro 163 Pro 164 Pro 62 Pro 2027
DX-390

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i would like to know how i can use my scanner to pick up cell phones. or do i need to purchase another one i have the 20-164.triple trunking

Forget it. It's not happening unless you get a scanner from the 80's or 90's. The uniden 890xlt or r/s pro-2004-2006 were popular for this,but most of the cellular channels are digital now so forget it.
n9zas

freqs

I have a pro 2006 with cell freqs in it i have not got anything in years on it in the cell band its all Digital I dont even get the data noise anymore

jwitey

Just out of curiosity, What about the cordless home phones? Last time I had a scanner, about 10 years ago I was able to listen to my neighbors when they would talked on there phones. I got the frequencies off the internet. There are still a lot of old house cordless phones still in use, I just ordered the pro 107 iscan and was planning on entering in the band that my old cordless home phone to sorta test out the scanner, with codes that are not preprogrammed in to the software for the iscan from the software that comes with it.
Merry Cristmas, John

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
analog sunset a few years back, but that only means they were no longer REQUIRED to keep some analog chans on the air. there are still a few analog sites way out in the boonies, strictly because coverage is needed but not enough to justify changing to digital and adding in several more towers. i am sure as these sites fail beyond repair they are phased out. i ran into a few analog sites last year out in NM/AZ.

freqs

Just out of curiosity, What about the cordless home phones? Last time I had a scanner, about 10 years ago I was able to listen to my neighbors when they would talked on there phones. I got the frequencies off the internet. There are still a lot of old house cordless phones still in use, I just ordered the pro 107 iscan and was planning on entering in the band that my old cordless home phone to sorta test out the scanner, with codes that are not preprogrammed in to the software for the iscan from the software that comes with it.
Merry Cristmas, John
Yes I still pick up some Cordless phones around my area most are older people with the 20 year old phones .they were in the 43.000 to 49.000 Mhz and up in the 900.000 Mhz area to as well as some baby monitors remember you not allowed to listen by law .

gewecke

Banned
Merry Cristmas, John

Check 46-49mhz. and 902-928mhz. for these but you'll only heat them if they transmit analog.
n9zas

CalebATC

Why would you even want to be so nosy to listen to a cell phone conversation? I can imagine a house phone to call it a success that you stalked your neighbors phone call, but really?

As said before, impossible, and highly illegal.

gewecke

Banned
Why would you even want to be so nosy to listen to a cell phone conversation? I can imagine a house phone to call it a success that you stalked your neighbors phone call, but really?

As said before, impossible, and highly illegal.

Different strokes for different folks,caleb! :cool:
n9zas

n5ims

Depending on what cell phone you have it isn't too hard to pick up your cell phone using your scanner. It just takes a bit of practice. I have a Sprint flip phone and can pick it up on my old Pro-95 scanner. Just open the phone and carefully place the scanner's antenna near the hinge on the cell phone and slowly raise it up. If you can keep it balanced so that neither half of the cell phone starts to slide off the antenna, you can pick it up at least a foot!

I don't think that there's a law that would make that illegal even! At least as long as both the cell phone and scanner are off when you do it.

N5AMS

Listening to cell calls or home phone calls even if possible it would be very boring to listen too anyways

trixwagen

I wouldn't call listening to phone calls boring, especially compared to some of the other frequencies that can be monitored...in fact most transmissions other than police in pursuit,a major fire, or in flight emergencies are dull, dull, dull and painfully routine. Just my opinion and just being honest.

Listening to cell calls or home phone calls even if possible it would be very boring to listen too anyways

freqs

Back in the day (20 yrs ago) I heard dope deals people cheating people having phone s** on cell and cordless phone .I even heard the lady next door talking on her cordless phone telling her husband her wanting to smack my kid because he hit there home with a plastic ball .

Status
Not open for further replies.