The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (https://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   Radio Shack Scanners (https://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/)
-   -   picking up cell phones (https://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/198878-picking-up-cell-phones.html)

princek1 12-22-2010 7:52 PM

picking up cell phones
 
i would like to know how i can use my scanner to pick up cell phones. or do i need to purchase another one i have the 20-164.triple trunking

shadcall 12-22-2010 8:27 PM

Federal law prohibits the monitoring of cell phone conversations. Years ago some scanners could be modified to listen to analog cell phone conversations. But even if they could be modified scanners are not able to pick up cell phones since they are no longer analog but are digital. However the digital signals are not Apco P25 which can be monitored. So the answer is you can't monitor them.

But these days you only have to be out in public to listen to at least one part of the cell phone conversations as there are always those people who talk very loudly while on their phones.

Shadcall

Pro 106 Pro 163 Pro 164 Pro 62 Pro 2027
DX-390

StinkyB 12-22-2010 8:28 PM

DON'T DO IT! It's highly illeagal DON'T DO IT! cannot be done anyways.

N8IAA 12-22-2010 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyB (Post 1442137)
DON'T DO IT! It's highly illeagal DON'T DO IT! cannot be done anyways.

People still think you can hear anything anymore:lol::lol::lol::lol::roll:
Larry

gewecke 12-22-2010 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princek1 (Post 1442108)
i would like to know how i can use my scanner to pick up cell phones. or do i need to purchase another one i have the 20-164.triple trunking

Forget it. It's not happening unless you get a scanner from the 80's or 90's. The uniden 890xlt or r/s pro-2004-2006 were popular for this,but most of the cellular channels are digital now so forget it.
n9zas

Caesar 12-22-2010 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8IAA (Post 1442148)
People still think you can hear anything anymore:lol::lol::lol::lol::roll:
Larry

There are a few analogs here and there, but most definitely not enough to bother trying to listen for...

Astrak 12-22-2010 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesar (Post 1442167)
There are a few analogs here and there, but most definitely not enough to bother trying to listen for...

I'm pretty sure in the US analog was phased out a few years ago.

freqs 12-22-2010 9:02 PM

I have a pro 2006 with cell freqs in it i have not got anything in years on it in the cell band its all Digital I dont even get the data noise anymore

jwitey 12-22-2010 9:06 PM

Just out of curiosity, What about the cordless home phones? Last time I had a scanner, about 10 years ago I was able to listen to my neighbors when they would talked on there phones. I got the frequencies off the internet. There are still a lot of old house cordless phones still in use, I just ordered the pro 107 iscan and was planning on entering in the band that my old cordless home phone to sorta test out the scanner, with codes that are not preprogrammed in to the software for the iscan from the software that comes with it.
Merry Cristmas, John

davidgcet 12-22-2010 9:07 PM

analog sunset a few years back, but that only means they were no longer REQUIRED to keep some analog chans on the air. there are still a few analog sites way out in the boonies, strictly because coverage is needed but not enough to justify changing to digital and adding in several more towers. i am sure as these sites fail beyond repair they are phased out. i ran into a few analog sites last year out in NM/AZ.

freqs 12-22-2010 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwitey (Post 1442178)
Just out of curiosity, What about the cordless home phones? Last time I had a scanner, about 10 years ago I was able to listen to my neighbors when they would talked on there phones. I got the frequencies off the internet. There are still a lot of old house cordless phones still in use, I just ordered the pro 107 iscan and was planning on entering in the band that my old cordless home phone to sorta test out the scanner, with codes that are not preprogrammed in to the software for the iscan from the software that comes with it.
Merry Cristmas, John

Yes I still pick up some Cordless phones around my area most are older people with the 20 year old phones .they were in the 43.000 to 49.000 Mhz and up in the 900.000 Mhz area to as well as some baby monitors remember you not allowed to listen by law .

gewecke 12-22-2010 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwitey (Post 1442178)
Just out of curiosity, What about the cordless home phones? Last time I had a scanner, about 10 years ago I was able to listen to my neighbors when they would talked on there phones. I got the frequencies off the internet. There are still a lot of old house cordless phones still in use, I just ordered the pro 107 iscan and was planning on entering in the band that my old cordless home phone to sorta test out the scanner, with codes that are not preprogrammed in to the software for the iscan from the software that comes with it.
Merry Cristmas, John

Check 46-49mhz. and 902-928mhz. for these but you'll only heat them if they transmit analog.
n9zas

CalebATC 12-22-2010 9:36 PM

Why would you even want to be so nosy to listen to a cell phone conversation? I can imagine a house phone to call it a success that you stalked your neighbors phone call, but really?

As said before, impossible, and highly illegal.

gewecke 12-22-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebATC (Post 1442201)
Why would you even want to be so nosy to listen to a cell phone conversation? I can imagine a house phone to call it a success that you stalked your neighbors phone call, but really?

As said before, impossible, and highly illegal.

Different strokes for different folks,caleb! :cool:
n9zas

CalebATC 12-22-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gewecke (Post 1442259)
Different strokes for different folks,caleb! :cool:
n9zas

Haha, true, true! I guess we all kinda listen to peoples personal business listening to PD and EMS though.

n5ims 12-23-2010 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princek1 (Post 1442108)
i would like to know how i can use my scanner to pick up cell phones. or do i need to purchase another one i have the 20-164.triple trunking

Depending on what cell phone you have it isn't too hard to pick up your cell phone using your scanner. It just takes a bit of practice. I have a Sprint flip phone and can pick it up on my old Pro-95 scanner. Just open the phone and carefully place the scanner's antenna near the hinge on the cell phone and slowly raise it up. If you can keep it balanced so that neither half of the cell phone starts to slide off the antenna, you can pick it up at least a foot!

I don't think that there's a law that would make that illegal even! At least as long as both the cell phone and scanner are off when you do it.

ScannerNuts 12-23-2010 3:09 AM

That brings me to this question:

What are you guys smoking?

N5AMS 12-23-2010 3:52 AM

Listening to cell calls or home phone calls even if possible it would be very boring to listen too anyways

trixwagen 12-23-2010 5:04 AM

I wouldn't call listening to phone calls boring, especially compared to some of the other frequencies that can be monitored...in fact most transmissions other than police in pursuit,a major fire, or in flight emergencies are dull, dull, dull and painfully routine. Just my opinion and just being honest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N5AMS (Post 1442350)
Listening to cell calls or home phone calls even if possible it would be very boring to listen too anyways


freqs 12-23-2010 8:13 AM

Back in the day (20 yrs ago) I heard dope deals people cheating people having phone s** on cell and cordless phone .I even heard the lady next door talking on her cordless phone telling her husband her wanting to smack my kid because he hit there home with a plastic ball .


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger