Pro-106 batteries and charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
What are the recommended rechargeable batteries and wall charger for the scanner?

NiMH batteries (RS 2300760 $17.99), 9V 500mA (RS 2730355 $20.99 including tip) or greater. There are some that will tell you to not charge the batteries in the scanner and others that say it is OK.

For my Pro-106, I charge my batteries in an external 4-6 hour charger just because it takes so long to charge them in the radio (my Pro-164's charge faster in the radio).

What are the recommended rechargeable batteries and wall charger for the scanner?

If you have a Menards store in your area, pick up NorthTech brand 2hr rapid charger and a couple of 4pk 2000mah NiMh AA's, all for about $15.00. The batteries come pre-charged.

So far I have had excellent play time with the batteries, close to 12hrs without lights on and reasonable volume, 8hrs with light on with my Pro 106.

Jakemcgraw

What are the recommended rechargeable batteries and wall charger for the scanner? ..................... Its best to use a good charger that charges each battery individually,,,I have a duracell 4 bay charger that has the led indicator lights on it and does a great job....Also the precharged type ni-mh batteries seem to work best, and hold a charge for a long time when not used...I use the duracell and sanyo eneloop 2000 mah precharged batteries and both do very well.

Last edited:

N1BHH

It's always best to use a smart charger, at least 2 sets of rechargeable batteries. I have 4 sets for 2 scanners and plan to get some more in the not too distant future. I always have alkaline batteries around in large numbers for emergency purposes, but normally use rechargeable batteries nearly all the time.

One thing about running scanners off rechargeable batteries, always let them drain out to the point that your display actually shows that it's time to replace them. There is a screen that actually says, batteries are low and need a charge. I forget exactly what it says, but you'll see it. This will ensure that when you change batteries out they will charge well.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
I highly recommend the Sanyo Enlope rechargables. I think they are available from Costco as a kit. 8 AA,s 2 or 4 AAA and a charger. The big deal is they hold a charge much longer on a shelf or in the radio when not being used. Two sets alow you to swap in seconds and recharge the second set.

I don't recommend charging in the radio either.

If I use the external 900mA power suppy it's only becasue I want to preserve the batteries and I only use it with the black battery case.

Enjoy,

Kevin

garylee62

Premium Subscriber
Using ac adapter

If you use a ac adapter on your scanner should you take the batteries out or leave them in?
On the Pro 106 it asks you for the type of batteries you are using. So does it hurt the scanner if you
leave the batteries out while using an ac adapter?

ampulman

If you use a ac adapter on your scanner should you take the batteries out or leave them in?
On the Pro 106 it asks you for the type of batteries you are using. So does it hurt the scanner if you
leave the batteries out while using an ac adapter?

The purpose of indicating the type of battery (alk. vs NIMH), is so that the low battery warning will take into consideration the type of battery. New alkalines are about 1.5 -1.6V; NIMs are much lower.

You can turn off battery charging by setting the charging time (Global settings) to ZERO.

It does not harm the unit to run it from AC w/no batteries installed.

Amp

Amp

RickS31

The purpose of indicating the type of battery (alk. vs NIMH), is so that the low battery warning will take into consideration the type of battery. New alkalines are about 1.5 -1.6V; NIMs are much lower.

You can turn off battery charging by setting the charging time (Global settings) to ZERO.

It does not harm the unit to run it from AC w/no batteries installed.

Amp

Amp

Everything Amp says above is absolutely correct. Just a couple of gotchas though for safety. As he stated, you can program set the timer to 0 and it will disable the charge circuit for the moment. Turn your scanner off then back on and the charge circuit becomes active again even though the timer still reads 0.

Also, when the scanner is off, the charge circuit is always active when the scanner AC adapter is plugged in. This is one of the several reasons it is NOT recommended to charge batteries in your scanner. Too easy to forget and no real charge smarts built into these radios.

garylee62

Premium Subscriber
Everything Amp says above is absolutely correct. Just a couple of gotchas though for safety. As he stated, you can program set the timer to 0 and it will disable the charge circuit for the moment. Turn your scanner off then back on and the charge circuit becomes active again even though the timer still reads 0.

Also, when the scanner is off, the charge circuit is always active when the scanner AC adapter is plugged in. This is one of the several reasons it is NOT recommended to charge batteries in your scanner. Too easy to forget and no real charge smarts built into these radios.
To my understanding you can leave the rechargeable batteries in the scanner while listen to it and using the ac adapter it will charge the batteries while you are listen to the scanner. is this correct?

Gary

jimsmowin

i agree with every thing said, how ever i run my 106 about 12 hrs 1/2 to 3/4 volume a day on battery. then turned off and on the internal charger from 9pm to 6am every day and no problem , i think you just have to be mindfull of the charge time you let it pluged in. ran the 96 thye same way for years. everady 2300ma.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Charging batteries

I had a NiMH short and almost destroy my Pro-96 from the heat it generated. Out of the radio is the only real safe way.

w2txb

Those NiZn cells look interesting, especially at that price. I have not run mine from the batteries that much yet, but will probably go with the usual NiMH cells that I charge with the MH-C9000 charger:

mhc9000.jpg

I usually use the Sanyo Eneloop cells from Batteries America:

Sanyo%202700%20AA.jpg

RickS31

Why not to Charge in Radio

There's been tons of discussion about charging or not in the radio. Here's an excellent reason not to. The following two pictures show what happened to me today. Yes, this was with the black battery holder and yes it was on AC power. I luckily picked up the radio to move it and it was red hot. I immediately pulled out the AC adapter cable and pulled the battery cover. This is what I found.

Now, in theory the black holder does not have the charge circuit connection and the batteries ARE disconnected from the radio when the AC adapter plug is plugged in. I verified that.

So-o-o, what happened? I'm in the process of verifiying how. I believe what happened is that I dropped the scanner. Not hard but probably hard enough to slightly distort the charge circuit spring metal contact in the battery compartment. Enough anyway so it made contact with the main battery contact on the holder. Now it had an unfettered charge going all the time. Not knowing about the out of position contact, I figured I was safe since I had the black holder in the radio. WRONG!

Damage - Melted black holder, 4 destroyed NiMh batteries, Melted plastic in the scanner and distorted battery cover. Luckily I caught it before it caught fire. Imagine if it would have happened overnight.

If there ever was a reason not to charge in these, here it is.

Attachments

• MeltBattHldr.jpg
    MeltBattHldr.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,060
  • MeltBatt1.jpg
    MeltBatt1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,050

W6KRU

Looks like you caught that just in time Rick. I always pull my battery holder out of the scanner before attaching the power cord. I thought I was going overboard. After seeing your pics, I just went into global setup and changed the Charge Time to 0 for a little insurance.

bobs415

Thanks all for a clear, articulate, and non-judgemental discussion on a topic that I and many others find interesting as we (re)embark on this sometimes-perplexing adventure called scanning. Good form!

Status
Not open for further replies.