How do I search for a talkgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

db1961

I've had a PRO106 for over a year now, but haven't really done anything with it outside of scanning the pre-packaged info for my city. In the past few days I've bought a cheap windows laptop, a copy of WIN500 and jumped into the deep end of the pool.

The campus where I work has security guards and other worker bees that don't show up on any talk group listed in the RR.com database.

I thought I could make a wildcard TG and run it while win500 captured a log of what came through. I figured I could just look for the alpha tag (which I know) in the log, but apparently I guessed wrong. :)

Can someone show me the way back to the kiddie pool and help me out? How do I search for new TG's?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Gilligan

Database Admin
This would probably be the easiest way to discover your campus talkgroups:

Listen to the system and lock out all of the known talkgroups from it (police, fire, city, etc...). This will eliminate all of that traffic from your search.

Listen to the system and continue to lock out everything that you know 100% is not campus operations.

Eventually you should hear your campus ops (security, maintenance, etc) and be able to save or write down their talkgroups. Now you can put them into their own group or make a new system with just campus talkgroups. Don't forget to unlock all of the regular channels, too.

Regarding using Win500, it's probably easiest just to use it to program your scanner. It will not show talkgroups "alpha-tagged" unless they are tagged as such in the scanner or RR database already.

However, as a help in determining campus talkgroups, I would bet that once you find one or two, the rest are often similar or adjacent talkgroups. For example, security may be on 32816 and 32848 while maintenance may be on 32880...

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with a campus I was an alumni member of, and found that the security for that campus was on the system with the State, not the Nashville public safety system. I had to listen carefully and finally caught activity and conversation on the state system that I recognized. It also was not listed in the RR database, but I was able to figure it out. I used the "wildcard" feature and just checked out each system. I also used the "srch" button on the 106, checking and verifying the "control channels" posted in ther RR database, and any that I found that were not shown, I programmed in with the "wildcard" and checked them out.

db1961

DOH!

Just goes to show you that the easiest, most obvious solution is sometimes the hardest one to see.

Thanks guys!!

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
In Win500 Extended Settings tab tic Show Radio ID's for group calls.
In TSYS set a Private Wildcard as well as Group Wildcard.
Then in Remote
a) tic Auto Create new TGRP's from Wildcard Hits
b) tic Auto Create new TGRP's from Radio ID's (leave ARID as leader character)
c) after clicking START, tic LCD Updates
d) tic to Win500 Activity Log txt file (these will display in lower section during coms)

Listen for the unit talking during coms and match it with ARID: number and also note the TGRP ID number.

After several logs are created, STOP remote and click the TSYS.

All ARID: + unit RID numbers will be listed as Private under TYPE column and RID number again under Group or Radio ID column.
Alpha tag TGRP of STOR(ed) Group (up to 16 characters).
Alpha tag radio user under ARID + RID number to left of Private (up to 16 characters).

Save and send to scanner.

Opps.should be Battalion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.