programming a pro 163?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzywuzzy1

I'm new with scanners and recently purchased a RS pro 163 scanner and having trouble programming it to monitor my local city/county police agencies. From what I understand, my county(Brevard,FL.) operates on a EDACS system and must be programmed in sequence. My first request is, can someone suggest a place/person who has experience with properly programming the pro 163 and can someone explain/describe the procedure for programming the scanner via a computer/usb cable. I understand you can program the scanner via software, a computer and usb cable. Can someone explain this procedure? I don't see a usb connection on the pro 163? I do however see a round port under the volume control. Is this where the other end of the usb would connect? I called radio shack and inquired about the cable and wa told it wa discontinued. Can someone explain, if I'm able to locate one of these cables, is it just a matter of downloading the software and connecting to computer and letting it do it's thing? Does it automatically program the scanner with the frequencies you select for your area? Can someone please explain?
Thank you very much

canav844

Look at the screen, the right side of the scanner from that view there's a port labeled PC/IF, that's your programming port. RS changed the model of programming cable, the new cable is a web only order from their website, look up the 163 and you'll find the cable.

Procedure varies between programs, but basically you put the information into the software then connect the scanner to the computer in the software tell the PC with com port to use and then tell it to send the data to the scanner. You'll have to download and install the driver, before the cable will get recognized, and you may want a premium membership to be able to download the frequencies in the software direct from the RR database instead of having to re-enter all that data on your own.

Or you can open up the manual, sit down with the scanner next to the computer, and enter the information in by hand. I've done it both ways, and with EDACs it's easier for me to do it on the computer I'd actually need the manual, with Motorola I can do it looking at the database on my phone with no manual in about 10-15minutes for the system and the first dozen talkgroups. Then you don't have to wait for a cable and spend less money and learn more about how it all works.

Personally I'd order the cable, when it arrives download and install ARC300/Win97/PSREdit300 and while you're waiting for the cable take a few hours and give it a go manually; knowing you'll have an easier solution on the way if you get frustrated.

I've had a 164 for the past 3 years and worn out the lettering on several of the buttons it gets so much use, and I just started actually using the software method at the beginning of this month because i was stuck on a Mac for a while.

Redneck0410

I have a 163 with an edacs system i follow daily... The programming is very simple... Gather the frequencies and enter them in LCN (Logical Channel Number) order. For purposes of this post, I will use bank 6. In other words, if the channels start on channel 01, you have to enter that frequency on channel 601. Once you have the frequencies programmed, make sure you have the channels defined as Edacs (Push the mode button for this). Then push scan and enjoy. If you run across any talkgroups you don't want to monitor, simply lock them out. If you want to program the talkgroups, refer to pg. 41 of your manual. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.