Firmware (CPU 1.9) for Pro-106/197

Status
Not open for further replies.

broonzbane

There is new firmware (CPU 1.9) out for the Pro-106/197.

Here is a link:
PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

Good find, Dan!

...but a real YAWNER of an update from Radio Shack:

"Pressing the ATT key during scanning while on a CONV object causes the object to
be stored to EEPROM immediately. This eliminates the possibility of the ATT status
change being lost due to a Priority check."

Apparently that's all there is to this firmware upgrade. I'll pass...

broonzbane

RIG

Good find, Dan!

...but a real YAWNER of an update from Radio Shack:

"Pressing the ATT key during scanning while on a CONV object causes the object to
be stored to EEPROM immediately. This eliminates the possibility of the ATT status
change being lost due to a Priority check."

Apparently that's all there is to this firmware upgrade. I'll pass...

broonzbane

This isn't an earthshaking update but why not have you radio as current as possible? If someone skips some updates, can you install something later on after not installing this one? I would think they all need to be entered as they are released.

Rob

broonzbane

This isn't an earthshaking update but why not have you radio as current as possible? If someone skips some updates, can you install something later on after not installing this one? I would think they all need to be entered as they are released.

Rob

I just don't want to risk bricking my radio in the firmware upgrade for ONE feature that I will never use. There needs to be a LOT more meat on the bone to entice me to upgrade the firmware, otherwise it's useless to me.

But, that's just me. I can certainly understand it when people want to keep their equipment as current as possible...

:)

BTW, when you do a firmware upgrade, all code written to the EEPROM is deleted and replaced. So, there's no need to worry about making sure you're getting everything in the right sequential order...

broonzbane

Last edited:

RickS31

Yeah, if this all that this does, not worth updating. There is more that they could've done than this. I will look into it further to see if that's all. If so, I hope next one adds to functionality, otherwise I'll just sit on it's current functionality.

mikey60

I just don't want to risk bricking my radio in the firmware upgrade for ONE feature that I will never use. There needs to be a LOT more meat on the bone to entice me to upgrade the firmware, otherwise it's useless to me.

But, that's just me. I can certainly understand it when people want to keep their equipment as current as possible...

:)

BTW, when you do a firmware upgrade, all code written to the EEPROM is deleted and replaced. So, there's no need to worry about making sure you're getting everything in the right sequential order...

broonzbane

The risk of "bricking" your radio is extremely remote, if not impossible. From what I've seen the boot loader is pretty solid in all of the GRE radios that have upgradable firmware. Even if the upgrade fails, all you need to do is try it again and the radio will be fine.

Mike

mikey60

Rob

Not a problem to skip an update. When upgrading firmware you completely replace the firmware that was in the scanner previously with the new firmware. You can go directly from a 1.1 to a 1.9 without any issues.

Mike

RIG

I did the upgrade to both of my radios as it only takes 2 minutes to do each one. The instructions specify it cannot do any harm to the radio. I saw no downside to adding it.

Rob

w2txb

Just "upgraded" mine as well; not a big deal either way, but at least RS is sending out updates to tell us they have not forgotten us. ;)

RIG

I know when you start the download it says com1 but your computer like mine is most likely above there. Mine was com10. Doesn't your device manager show what it should be?

Rob

SCPD

QRT
I can't update mine. The program doesn't recognize my radio on Com 1. Win500 works just fine though. It may be that I am running Win 8.

I had the same problem but then I removed the extender from my cable and it worked fine. I have the older one with the orange box in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.