RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Radio Shack Scanners


Radio Shack Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all Radio Shack scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 6:08 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: west central florida
Posts: 76
Default Firmware (CPU 1.9) for Pro-106/197

There is new firmware (CPU 1.9) out for the Pro-106/197.

Here is a link:
PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 6:14 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandan780 View Post
There is new firmware (CPU 1.9) out for the Pro-106/197.

Here is a link:
PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com
Good find, Dan!

...but a real YAWNER of an update from Radio Shack:

"Pressing the ATT key during scanning while on a CONV object causes the object to
be stored to EEPROM immediately. This eliminates the possibility of the ATT status
change being lost due to a Priority check."

Apparently that's all there is to this firmware upgrade. I'll pass...

broonzbane
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 6:18 PM
RIG RIG is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 154
Default

Thank you for the notification of this.

Rob
__________________
Pro-197 and Pro-106 with ARC 500 software
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 6:22 PM
RIG RIG is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonzbane View Post
Good find, Dan!

...but a real YAWNER of an update from Radio Shack:

"Pressing the ATT key during scanning while on a CONV object causes the object to
be stored to EEPROM immediately. This eliminates the possibility of the ATT status
change being lost due to a Priority check."

Apparently that's all there is to this firmware upgrade. I'll pass...

broonzbane
This isn't an earthshaking update but why not have you radio as current as possible? If someone skips some updates, can you install something later on after not installing this one? I would think they all need to be entered as they are released.

Rob
__________________
Pro-197 and Pro-106 with ARC 500 software
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 6:41 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIG View Post
This isn't an earthshaking update but why not have you radio as current as possible? If someone skips some updates, can you install something later on after not installing this one? I would think they all need to be entered as they are released.

Rob
I just don't want to risk bricking my radio in the firmware upgrade for ONE feature that I will never use. There needs to be a LOT more meat on the bone to entice me to upgrade the firmware, otherwise it's useless to me.

But, that's just me. I can certainly understand it when people want to keep their equipment as current as possible...



BTW, when you do a firmware upgrade, all code written to the EEPROM is deleted and replaced. So, there's no need to worry about making sure you're getting everything in the right sequential order...

broonzbane

Last edited by broonzbane; 05-16-2011 at 6:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 8:00 PM
RickS31's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sunrise FL
Posts: 515
Default

Yeah, if this all that this does, not worth updating. There is more that they could've done than this. I will look into it further to see if that's all. If so, I hope next one adds to functionality, otherwise I'll just sit on it's current functionality.
__________________
Rick

2 - PRO 106, PRO 23 - Win500
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 8:45 PM
Kel's Avatar
Kel Kel is offline
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SW 2-18-26-W2
Posts: 310
Default

I wonder why GRE didn't release it first on there units?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 9:02 PM
mikey60's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oakland County Michigan
Posts: 3,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonzbane View Post
I just don't want to risk bricking my radio in the firmware upgrade for ONE feature that I will never use. There needs to be a LOT more meat on the bone to entice me to upgrade the firmware, otherwise it's useless to me.

But, that's just me. I can certainly understand it when people want to keep their equipment as current as possible...



BTW, when you do a firmware upgrade, all code written to the EEPROM is deleted and replaced. So, there's no need to worry about making sure you're getting everything in the right sequential order...

broonzbane
The risk of "bricking" your radio is extremely remote, if not impossible. From what I've seen the boot loader is pretty solid in all of the GRE radios that have upgradable firmware. Even if the upgrade fails, all you need to do is try it again and the radio will be fine.

Mike
__________________
http://www.psredit.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2011, 9:04 PM
mikey60's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oakland County Michigan
Posts: 3,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIG View Post
This isn't an earthshaking update but why not have you radio as current as possible? If someone skips some updates, can you install something later on after not installing this one? I would think they all need to be entered as they are released.

Rob
Not a problem to skip an update. When upgrading firmware you completely replace the firmware that was in the scanner previously with the new firmware. You can go directly from a 1.1 to a 1.9 without any issues.

Mike
__________________
http://www.psredit.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM
RIG RIG is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 154
Default

I did the upgrade to both of my radios as it only takes 2 minutes to do each one. The instructions specify it cannot do any harm to the radio. I saw no downside to adding it.

Rob
__________________
Pro-197 and Pro-106 with ARC 500 software
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM
w2txb's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central Upstate NY
Posts: 191
Lightbulb

Just "upgraded" mine as well; not a big deal either way, but at least RS is sending out updates to tell us they have not forgotten us.
__________________
"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis"
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 8:16 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,912
Default

I can't update mine. The program doesn't recognize my radio on Com 1. Win500 works just fine though. It may be that I am running Win 8.
__________________
Whistler - TRX-1 /w EZ-Scan
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 8:44 PM
RIG RIG is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 154
Default

I know when you start the download it says com1 but your computer like mine is most likely above there. Mine was com10. Doesn't your device manager show what it should be?

Rob
__________________
Pro-197 and Pro-106 with ARC 500 software
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 8:52 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,912
Default

Device Manager says it is Com 1
__________________
Whistler - TRX-1 /w EZ-Scan
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 9:03 PM
RIG RIG is offline
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 154
Default

That's strange. Have you tried to uploaded anything to see if it would accept a new frequency?

Rob
__________________
Pro-197 and Pro-106 with ARC 500 software
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 9:14 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,912
Default

Yes, Win500 works perfectly; both downloading & uploading.
__________________
Whistler - TRX-1 /w EZ-Scan
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 9:52 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brownsville,Texas
Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdiesel View Post
Yes, Win500 works perfectly; both downloading & uploading.
Try com3 com4 or com5 my win500 does not tell me which com it is using, but my arc 500Pro tells me it is com 4. Just try different com in the download area and follow the instructions.
__________________
BCD396T, BC-RH96, PRO-106, and AOR AR8000
Software: Win-500, Arc500-Pro, and UASD
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2011, 9:57 PM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,912
Default

I tried your suggestion and still no go. I'm going to try Windows in a bit and see how it does.
__________________
Whistler - TRX-1 /w EZ-Scan
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
   
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mount Morris, MI
Posts: 762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdiesel View Post
I can't update mine. The program doesn't recognize my radio on Com 1. Win500 works just fine though. It may be that I am running Win 8.
I had the same problem but then I removed the extender from my cable and it worked fine. I have the older one with the orange box in the middle.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2011, 1:12 AM
zzdiesel's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kennett / Dunklin Co, Mo.
Posts: 1,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone4680 View Post
I had the same problem but then I removed the extender from my cable and it worked fine. I have the older one with the orange box in the middle.
Thank you. I'll try it tomorrow or Thurs. Are you talking abouty the mono extender? I don't have it hooked up. I also tried it in Windows 7 and it did the same thing.
__________________
Whistler - TRX-1 /w EZ-Scan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions