Pro-106 audio quality vs XTS3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSDScanner

Not complaining about the PRO-106 at all, it's a great scanner and it does its job very well. I always get great reception with it and can hear almost all calls clearly.

Yesterday, I busted out my work's Motorola XTS3000 which I haven't used in a while. It was this radio that got me into scanning (oh, the memories) because my employer actually owns (given to us by the local police department) an actual police XTS3000 with access to all law enforcement and fire channels on our system. After having listened to my PRO-106 for the entire past year, my ear recognized some difference in the audio quality of these 2. Clearly, the Motorola is built better physically because it has to be able to work after being dropped, getting wet, and thousands of hours on a police officer/firefighter's belt, so I'm not trying to compare these 2 in terms of build quality.

However, I've noticed that the Motorola has less background noise than the PRO-106. What I mean by this is when someone queues up, on the Motorola, I only hear their voice but on the PRO-106 I hear a very slight hiss in the background. So slight that a person who doesn't regularly scan/listen to radios wouldn't notice. I've also noticed that the speaker on the Motorola sounds less tinny and like the bass is better. The best way I can put it is that on the Motorola, I'd have a much easier time being able to recognize someone by their voice than on the PRO-106.

An area that I've noticed that my PRO-106 does BETTER than the Motorola is reception. My PRO-106 antenna seems to be better at receiving than the Motorola, but that might just be because we have a short antenna on the Motorola at work right now.

Anyway, is there any way to improve the sound quality on the PRO-106? Is there any way to program a Motorola XTS 3000 using similar methods that I did with my PRO-106 or is that not very feasible? Thanks.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Its like comparing a apple to an orange..I have owned a pro 106 and I hated the audio that came out of it I might have gotten a bad one but I ended up exchanging it for a 197...The xts programming wise is totally different then a scanner..with the reception issue I'm not sure if you can change the squelch on a trunking system on an xts but I know you can with a conventional channel...another way is I am assuming you job is on a 800 Mhz smartnet or smartzone system see if they could get you or see if you could find a highgain whip antenna for your xts.

nanZor

Anyway, is there any way to improve the sound quality on the PRO-106?

I have always wished for a low-pass mod, something simple like a bipolar cap thrown across the speaker leads since my pro-43 days to just take the edge off.

One option is really ugly. It helps only a bit.

Purposely cover some rows of the speaker grill with painter's tape - the typical blue stuff so it won't leave goo.

Temporarily cover up one horizontal row of holes at a time. Don't be surprised if you end up covering nearly half of the rows. I've found that with painter's tape, it is thin enough to change the acoustics, yet not totally smother the output.

Yep - it's ugly. :)

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
can you maybe change the speaker with one of better quality? I'm ok with my pro 106, however face it a commercial radio and a scanner are 2 totally different animals

X

xts3000r

you are need the 7 inc weep on the xts and it will be better then the 106.i have mt xts at work and love it

shrek06

Premium Subscriber
I am in an outlying area of where I can't pick up p25 in Wichita KS with my Pro-106. I have been told, that it is guaranteed that I will be able to pick it up due to the sensitivity in the xts 3000 model. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.